Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painterly Country Landscape  (Read 4830 times)

robertwatcher

Painterly Country Landscape
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:06:51 am »

OK - I just got home from roaming around the country with my camera and so will include something fresh from today - an OLD BARN that really caught my eye with it's green wash paint set against the beautiful green vegetation. The lighting was perfect too. Looks just like a painting to me instead of a photo. The sky looks like I smeared yellow chalk pastels on it.

Model:NIKON D40   Lens:Nikkor 18-200VR  Orientation:Normal   Software Used:Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows   Exposure Time:1/100 seconds   F Number:F/8   ISO Speed:200   Date Taken:2007:06:20 20:27:15   Exposure Compensation:-4/6 Step   Metering Mode:Pattern   Flash Mode:No Flash   Focal Length:90 mm   Color Space:sRGB  File Quality:JPEG Basic

--

Ray

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:27:24 am »

Yes, it does look a bit 'painterly'. I would suggest this is not only due to the smeared sky but the overly saturated colors. I can't quite believe that barn roof is that red or the grass so green.

We've got so used to modern painters exaggerating colors in landscapes, and sometimes producing completely false colors, that this has now become a trade-mark of paintings.

Producing out-of-gamut colors on a print also reduces resolution, which contributes to the painterly effect.

By the way, a criticism of your image would be the excessively dark foreground at the bottom of the image. I don't think this contributes to a painterly effect. I think a painter would want to put more detail there, or perhaps you could crop it.

Nice image, though!

I think I might prefer this. But it's very subjective of course.

[attachment=2661:attachment]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:35:43 am by Ray »

robertwatcher

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:39:08 am »

Thanks for taking the time to look and provide your comments Ray.

I'm not really trying to make it look like a painting - I just happened to notice when I posted the pic that, that it had that appearance. Colors are boosted for sure - - - I love color, saturation and drama. I have a look that I prefer and that is how I end up processing my images (wet darkroom or digital darkroom). The dark forground is heavy buring in to place attention on the brighter areas in the middle - all the detail is there so wouldn't have to be cropped to lighten.  The sky is real (smears and all) - just darkened and intensified a little.   I've just finished a 13"x19" print on Hahnamuhle Photo Rag and the paper suits the image well.  

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:19:56 am »

It looks way too intense - even for a painting.  I'm a fan of subtle details over a magic marker swipe.

robertwatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:06 am »

I'm a fan of subtle details over a magic marker swipe.

You're right - we all see differently and have unique visual preferences. Thank you for your thoughts.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:42:44 am by robertwatcher »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 09:55:41 am »

I like it like this:

EricV

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:03:38 pm »

OK - I just got home from roaming around the country with my camera and so will include something fresh from today - an OLD BARN that really caught my eye with it's green wash paint set against the beautiful green vegetation. The lighting was perfect too. Looks just like a painting to me instead of a photo. The sky looks like I smeared yellow chalk pastels on it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the saturated colors and would not tone it down.  However, I think the composition would have been cleaner if you had stepped forward a few feet to exclude the foreground leaves in the upper left of the frame.  Of course with Photoshop it may not be too late ....

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:08 pm »

I like the leaves there.  Makes it feel like you're walking out of the woods into an idyllic little scene.

I like the colors, too.

robertwatcher

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 12:20:39 pm »

Thank You for all of the comments and suggestions.

Here is a quick shot I took just outside my front door, of the 13"x19" Fine Art Print using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag paper (image size roughly 7"x13"). Sitting on an easle, it just looks so nice to anyone seeing it (even unframed):

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:21:35 pm by robertwatcher »
Pages: [1]   Go Up