Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD - Any problems?, Life Span.  (Read 8495 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Mamiya ZD - Any problems?, Life Span.
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »

I am seriously considering the Mamiya ZD camera in advancement for my photography (stepping up from D200, which has felt down from my F100 and Fuji slides).

Questions to current users:

#1 - What early and long term problems have you had with the camera?

#2 - What life span can I expect from this camera? My first slr was a Canon AV-1 that lasted me 20 years. It would be surpricing to get so much out of a digital, but what is realistic, 5-10 years?

Based on #2 I believe you see I am not into gear but am seeking a good tool to last me a long time for quality images. The photography of course is up to me...

Much thanks.

Regards
Anders

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:39:02 pm »

Hi
I have had mine since April 2006 & have had no problems. The ZD has taken over the role of my 5D for 90% of the work. I keep the iso in the 50-100 range & since it is so light weight the Canon sits in the safe most of the time. I think you should get 3 years out of this camera. Until the physical size of the chip increases in size there is not going to be any dramatic improvements. My partner still prefers the Aptus 22 over the Aptus 75. This is where Canon I feel has reached an upper limit. There is only so much you can do with a 24x36 chip. Maybe a Foveon chip would be the answer. If you do buy the ZD camera ask if they have improved the iso 400 because Franks review he is getting better results from iso 400 on the ZD back. That new 75-150 is very tempting.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:46:42 pm »

Hi
I have had mine since April 2006 & have had no problems. The ZD has taken over the role of my 5D for 90% of the work. I keep the iso in the 50-100 range & since it is so light weight the Canon sits in the safe most of the time. I think you should get 3 years out of this camera. Until the physical size of the chip increases in size there is not going to be any dramatic improvements. My partner still prefers the Aptus 22 over the Aptus 75. This is where Canon I feel has reached an upper limit. There is only so much you can do with a 24x36 chip. Maybe a Foveon chip would be the answer. If you do buy the ZD camera ask if they have improved the iso 400 because Franks review he is getting better results from iso 400 on the ZD back. That new 75-150 is very tempting.
Thanks Denis
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Denis,

Thanks for your post. Off the topic:

Noise - Check my recent post which may tell the reason for the difference in noice, apparantly all dependent on RAW converter [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17671]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=17671[/url]

Price of 75-150 & 28mm - Following web site speaks of the price of the 75-150 in Japan; 378,000 JPY which is over 3,000 USD. The 28mm is more... (no idea why so very expensive). http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/lens/2007/03/22/5888.html

Rgds
Anders

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:18:32 pm »

I am seriously considering the Mamiya ZD cameraAnders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(I am NOT a current user)

Search the forum and you will see a problem with the connector shooting tethered

Apart from price I can see little advantage to a ZD where the mechanics are tied to the chip

Why not a M6452 and a ZD back when they become available

In terms of longevity mechanical bits always fail first - shutters mirrors etc

You never hear of a canon chip wearing out but the shutters do fail and the mamiya is one very big shutter

Think on that this camera goes out of production and service becomes sparce and you get a shutter etc fail you are a bit stuffed

now with an AFD  failure you just buy another off Ebay there will be loads around for ages

I would go for a back and a camera myself

And should you ever want to move/experiment with a view camera that is possible too with a back

just my opinoin

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:32:24 pm »

I am seriously considering the Mamiya ZD camera in advancement for my photography (stepping up from D200, which has felt down from my F100 and Fuji slides).

Questions to current users:

#1 - What early and long term problems have you had with the camera?

#2 - What life span can I expect from this camera? My first slr was a Canon AV-1 that lasted me 20 years. It would be surpricing to get so much out of a digital, but what is realistic, 5-10 years?

Based on #2 I believe you see I am not into gear but am seeking a good tool to last me a long time for quality images. The photography of course is up to me...

Much thanks.

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only "long term" problem so far has been the firewire port.  Mine failed after light studio use.  Others have had the same problem (its been reported elsewhere in these forums).  The result is I now try to avoid using the port at all, which is a bit ridiculous because tethered shooting works well.   My ZD was replaced under warranty.

Other than that, its been and remains a very good camera

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:06:31 pm »

Only "long term" problem so far has been the firewire port.  Mine failed after light studio use.  Others have had the same problem (its been reported elsewhere in these forums).  The result is I now try to avoid using the port at all, which is a bit ridiculous because tethered shooting works well.   My ZD was replaced under warranty.

Other than that, its been and remains a very good camera
Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know this is an off topic reply, but I'm on my third (!) Canon 1Ds shutter. Canon can replace a shutter in a day locally in Paris, Mamiya cannot - I would assume the EOS-1 shutters to be at least as good as the Mamiya ones so I'd certainly get a 645 and a back and not a ZD if I went Mamiya - just so as to be sure to be able to get a spare up and running fast.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:29:39 pm »

I know this is an off topic reply, [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I dont think it is off topic

The mam shutter has to move a lot more mass (hence lower synch speed) but surely it has to be a weak point and the numbers around of these cameras will surely make service sparce

I think Quentin was lucky becasue robertwhite had another on the shelf unsold that they traded fast - not a sure situation esp if the ZD goes out of procution (even if replaced by a ZDII)

Being synical RW might have jumped at the chance to send it back to reduce thier stock levels which they were having trouble shifting (note the discounts)

On the other hand my PRO TL still goes fine and who knows how old that is..

S
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:31:26 pm by Morgan_Moore »

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 02:47:24 am »

I dont think it is off topic

The mam shutter has to move a lot more mass (hence lower synch speed) but surely it has to be a weak point and the numbers around of these cameras will surely make service sparce

I think Quentin was lucky becasue robertwhite had another on the shelf unsold that they traded fast - not a sure situation esp if the ZD goes out of procution (even if replaced by a ZDII)

Being synical RW might have jumped at the chance to send it back to reduce thier stock levels which they were having trouble shifting (note the discounts)

On the other hand my PRO TL still goes fine and who knows how old that is..

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Apart from Roberts good price. What makes you think they can't shift the ZD? Robert White always had the best price for the ZD even when first introduced, I doubt they took them in thinking they couldn't shift them.
 On shutters, I have 3 Pentax 67 cameras, even a non mirror up which dates it. That Pentax shutter is much bigger than the Mamiya, I've shot thousands of images with these, the shutter has never failed on any of them. I think assuming it will be a problem when so far it hasn't been is not very helpful.

Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:09:34 am »

Apart from Roberts good price. What makes you think they can't shift the ZD? Robert White always had the best price for the ZD even when first introduced, I doubt they took them in thinking they couldn't shift them.
 On shutters, I have 3 Pentax 67 cameras, even a non mirror up which dates it. That Pentax shutter is much bigger than the Mamiya, I've shot thousands of images with these, the shutter has never failed on any of them. I think assuming it will be a problem when so far it hasn't been is not very helpful.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IMO it has to be more of a problem than NO shutter or any bits at all !

A child could pull the mirror out of a body

A waiter could spill a curry into your camera bag (happened to me!)

Mechanical (MOVING PARTS) are just more fragile and suceptable to wear

a DBack should be good for millions of frames not thousands - and 22mp will produce a nice print FOR EVER

--
re RW note the word synical in my previous post but look at the price drop(s), now 'try it for a week' etc - no one will let me try a 5d for a week - smacks of 'please take this off our hands' - there is IMO a small market for this camera because most would go for decent AF and ISO OR the ability to use with a view camera

Dont think I think it is a bad product - I love my SLRn which was kind of a mould breaker (at thie time and still the best slow nikon) in the same school as the ZD - gross looking and a bit clunky but capable of stunning images for the price if used right

SMM

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

Hi
The Zd camera has the same shutter as the 645 AFDII body.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 12:19:42 am »

No problems with that - it's just that experience shows that mechanics fail while backs seem to go on forever - no back has ever been reported to fail from over-use.

Edmund

Hi
The Zd camera has the same shutter as the 645 AFDII body.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:24:29 am »

Much kind thanks to all above posts.

It is interesting note that mechanics may go before the electronics. I am not a pro but serious amateur so possibly the shutter will last me. As a comparison to the ZD, my nephew has a digital camera from 1998 that uses diskettes as media. He says it works fine apart fom that the images are no good. I suspect that will not be a problem with a ZD if I manage keep it as long... this is one of my key interests in the ZD... to keep a camera long, one that is capable of producing high image quality.

Maybe the AFDII and ZD back can be smarter in case of future problems, but I come from SLRs (e.g. F100) so I much prefer the ZD body for my shooting style. I read of the USB cable problem, also of someone had AF accuracy problem on an earlier ZD body sample, but apart from this the ZD sounds very problem free.

I am aiming at getting one within next few weeks... but it is a bit nervous... because of high $ and a tool I wish to suit me for long time. If any more advise, it is much appreciated.

Much thanks!
Regards
Anders

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:32 am »

Hi Anders

I have had my ZD since its launch. Absolutely no problems so far. I bought it with the idea of keeping it for at least 4years. So far I am satisfied that ,even though something cheaper and better may hit the market, the image quality will still be acceptable. I much prefer the feel of the zdbody to the 645afd(and 35mm), which I still have. My 645 did give me some focussing problems etc, but I suppose a body + back makes more sense from a upgrade path point of view. O yes my firewire connection does not work but I am not sure if it is the camera or my laptop - does not bother me too much as I dont do much studio still life work. Focussing is very versatile and allways accurate. You have four focus point choices, left, center, right and all together. Choose via joystick. I absolutely love this feature and it works very well for me. ZD body also has mirror up release on body, much better than 645afd setup.
thanks Ivan

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 10:30:54 am »

I shot with both and love the 645AFD/II combi more, it's more stable in my hands and feels more solid.

The MLU is also on the body of the 645AFD/II, I don't know if it was on the 645AF by the way.

I choose the back because I want to keep al options open for upgrades.

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 10:42:42 am »

(The MLU is also on the body of the 645AFD/II, I don't know if it was on the 645AF by the way.)

ZD mirror up by just pressing a button for the lift and again  to lower. so easy can even be used for handheld

thanks Ivan

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 11:48:20 am »

Same on my 645AFD/II a small button to lift and release.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:50:52 am »

Is it correct that after the firewire port failure ZD camera can still operate and record images on memory card?
Pages: [1]   Go Up