Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Missing Paper Types  (Read 10641 times)

johncustodio

Z3100 Missing Paper Types
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:44:10 pm »

Z3100 24" on Mac OS-X 10.4.8, HP Printer Utility v 2.8.0 -
I downloaded 2 paper types: Photo Semi-gloss/Satin Paper (less ink) and Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink). Both these appear on the printer's front panel under Custom Paper. They also appear under Custom Paper in the printer utility in the Manage Papers panel. When I go to the Add Custom Paper panel to add a custom paper, there is a box labeled "Paper Name" where I can enter the name of the new paper and below that a Paper Type pull-down menu. It lists 4 categories of paper, none of which contain either of the 2 paper types I downloaded. The Custom Paper category is not even listed. Also not listed is HP Professional Satin Photo Paper under the Photo Paper category (even though this paper is listed under the Photo Paper category on both the printer's front panel and in the Manage Papers panel.)

What I'm trying to do is create a few new custom papers that will all use the Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink) paper type. I opened a case with HP, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

-John

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:14:01 pm »

Z3100 24" on Mac OS-X 10.4.8, HP Printer Utility v 2.8.0 -
I downloaded 2 paper types: Photo Semi-gloss/Satin Paper (less ink) and Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink). Both these appear on the printer's front panel under Custom Paper. They also appear under Custom Paper in the printer utility in the Manage Papers panel. When I go to the Add Custom Paper panel to add a custom paper, there is a box labeled "Paper Name" where I can enter the name of the new paper and below that a Paper Type pull-down menu. It lists 4 categories of paper, none of which contain either of the 2 paper types I downloaded. The Custom Paper category is not even listed. Also not listed is HP Professional Satin Photo Paper under the Photo Paper category (even though this paper is listed under the Photo Paper category on both the printer's front panel and in the Manage Papers panel.)

What I'm trying to do is create a few new custom papers that will all use the Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink) paper type. I opened a case with HP, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

-John
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I understand what you're saying I think you need to read the latest Tech Newsletter from HP.  [a href=\"https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/working_with_nonhp_papers_fw_5.pdf?pageseq=260246]Click here.[/url]

There's no need to create custom paper types.  Use the Fine Art Pearl paper type and create profiles for the papers you want to use with that paper type.  Unless I don't understand your point.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:19:08 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

johncustodio

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:41:58 am »

If I understand what you're saying I think you need to read the latest Tech Newsletter from HP.  Click here.

There's no need to create custom paper types.  Use the Fine Art Pearl paper type and create profiles for the papers you want to use with that paper type.  Unless I don't understand your point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I read the tech newsletter and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. Let's say I want to use Innova F type Gloss and use the Fine Art Pearl (more ink) media type. I go to Manage Papers in the Printer Utility, click on + to Add Custom Paper. In the Add Custom Paper panel I type in Innova F-type Gloss in the field labeled Paper Name,  then choose Fine Art Pearl (more ink) from the Paper Type drop down menu, then hit Continue. Innova F-type Gloss is now added to the paper types loaded in both the printer and the Manage Papers panel in the Printer Utility (in the Custom Paper category). I then put Innova F-type Gloss in the printer, select Innova F-type Gloss from the paper listing in the printer, go to the Printer Utility, select Innova F-type Gloss and Calibrate and Profile the paper. I save the profile name as Z3100, Innova F-type Gloss, GE ON.

Now lets say I want to use Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl also with the Fine Art Pearl (more ink) media type. I repeat the procedure above but type in Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl in the Paper Name field, still selecting Fine Art Pearl (more ink) from the Paper Type drop down menu. I now have two papers added to the Custom Paper category both using the Fine Art Pearl (more ink) media type. Both these new paper names appear on the printer front panel in the Custom Paper category as well as in the Manage Papers panel in the Printer Utility. I can then calibrate and profile Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl like I did with Innova F-type Gloss.

The problem is that I can't do what I outlined above because Fine Art Pearl (more ink) does not appear in the Paper Type drop down menu! That's what I'm trying to figure out.

-John

Charles Gast

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:19:21 am »

This is the same thing I am seeing.
Another bug in HP's poorly slapped together latest software/firmware release I'm afraid..
Heres hoping someone proves me wrong

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:36:08 am »

Fine Art Pearl is located in under the Custom Paper type when you are setting up a new paper.

It is there on my XP Windows system. Have you looked there? It's not where you would expect.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Charles Gast

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 10:33:21 am »

Fine Art Pearl is located in under the Custom Paper type when you are setting up a new paper.

It is there on my XP Windows system. Have you looked there? It's not where you would expect.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Custom Paper type is not there...
I'm on phone with HP support and they seem baffled. I re-installed the three HP apps.  colorcenter easycare and gl/2 driver but still the same.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:41:08 am by Charles Gast »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:16 am »

Strange, I have Fine Art Pearl more ink after installing it on both Mac and PC.
Just lucky I guess.
I did profile Innova Fibra Gloss yesterday with APS, on A3 paper. As much as I do like to listen to others , in this case what can I say, on button profiling, quick and easy. What a joy. I thought about printing out a standard chart and hand measuring with the i1 and making a profile in PM. Yet that thought passed quickly, and I just let the printer do what it does best.
Then I printed out some beautiful B&W's and a color print.

Now all this wouldn't be possible if the media type wasn't in the lists then now would it?

I'm finding problems with caches, maybe the media list is one that needs to be updated correctly too. But, if it's not in the front panel list either, it's just not there.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:04:10 pm »

I think Mr. Snape is correct; the system may be caching some of the settings, which bollixes your attempt to get the second custom paper profiled. It might be worth rebooting printer and/or computer.

With the built in hard disc HP's Z3100 acts more like another computer than a simple output device, and it's certainly taken me time to figure things out. On the brighter side, Adobe's automatic updater for Photoshop crashed my entire system last weekend, rendering it unbootable and forcing me to recover from the original DVD's. I lost all my configuration files and settings, but I was able to reinstall all the profiles the Z3100 had created simply by resynchronizing once my applications were reinstalled. God bless'em.

Charles Gast

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:04:24 pm »

I had to go to the HP website under downloads/icc profiles and download a profile.
There is actually a profile there for Museo Silver Rag. That profile uses the Custom/FineArtPearl paper setting.
Once that was saved on my computer I had to go to EasyCare and the Support tab and browse and install the profile.
Now when I want to add a create a custom paper the Paper Type  Custom/Fine Art Pearl is showing up there. Only three hours on the phone to accomplish this.

Now even though I downloaded a profile for this particular paper it went through Calibration (I expected that) and it is now creating a profile(I thought I just downloaded that).

So if you go to create a custom paper and the Paper Type /Custom/*whichever custom type you need* is not there or as was the case in my example the Custom folder is missing entirely - you have to go to HP's designjet website and download a paper profile which makes use of the paper type you need to select in accordnance with the latest Technical Newsletter for firmware release 5.0.0.4

Plenty of bugs.

To fix the non-sense of the HP folder opening whenever I start my computer I went to Start/Run/msconfig  then to the Startup tab. I then found the Setup HP designjet Etc. line and unchecked it and hit apply. Now thats fixed

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:15:12 pm »

To fix the non-sense of the HP folder opening whenever I start my computer I went to Start/Run/msconfig  then to the Startup tab. I then found the Setup HP designjet Etc. line and unchecked it and hit apply. Now thats fixed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/color]

Charles,

I had the same issue with the darn HP folder opening along with some HP Print Preview screen freezes until HP finally fessed up to having a program called Scrubber2 that does a cleaning of your system before installing any HP upgrades. It took a few tries, but I finally got clean installs without errors and the annoying HP folder went away on startup. HP won't admit to having this program until they run you through another install attempt and it gets errors. I even said I heard about the program from another user who got it from HP and he denied knowledge of any such program...until about 10 minutes later.

Jim
Jim Cole

neil snape

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:36:30 pm »

There are quite a few HP items in my XP start up items. I unchecked the set up run once thing, and another item that was in the $temp folder, thinking tht temp files should be deleted every restart.

Are there others that should be deactivated?

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:53:56 pm »

There are quite a few HP items in my XP start up items. I unchecked the set up run once thing, and another item that was in the $temp folder, thinking tht temp files should be deleted every restart.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124187\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/color]

Neil,

I find only two HP items on my startup list:

HPDeviceService
HPWuSchd2

My HP system seems quite stable now with no freezes or wierd behavior since cleaning with Scrubber2 before the last upgrade installs.

Jim
Jim Cole

Charles Gast

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:54:23 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124187\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I found two lines that mentioned HP setup and unchecked both.

Charles Gast

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 01:02:11 pm »

Now my z3100 is totally hosed.
When I go to print with any  profile or paper the HP driver image preview window shows a badly messed up image and when I try to print it says the image is the wrong file format.

The HP support rep told me the GL2 version of the driver was the one to use for photos so I installed that one after de-installing everything.
Is the GL2 driver the wrong one to use?

neil snape

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 01:04:17 pm »

Now my z3100 is totally hosed.
When I go to print with any  profile or paper the HP driver image preview window shows a badly messed up image and when I try to print it says the image is the wrong file format.

The HP support rep told me the GL2 version of the driver was the one to use for photos so I installed that one after de-installing everything.
Is the GL2 driver the wrong one to use?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It worked fine for me on the PC.

johncustodio

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 01:09:30 pm »

I just spoke to HP tech support and the woman said that that was basically the way it was. Downloaded custom media types don't appear in the Paper Type pulldown menu in the Add Paper panel in the Printer Utility. I had her check it on her Z3100 and Mac and she confirmed that Fine Art Pearl (more ink) doesn't show up. I also had her check on Windows XP and she confirmed the same result. Tonight, I'm going to try what Charles Gast suggested: download and install a profile for a paper that uses Fine Art Pearl (more ink) and see if that media type then shows up in the menu. This might explain why some people are seeing this in the menu and some aren't.
-John

dhoelscher

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 01:19:24 pm »

I had to go to the HP website under downloads/icc profiles and download a profile.
There is actually a profile there for Museo Silver Rag. That profile uses the Custom/FineArtPearl paper setting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't find any ICC profiles for Museo Silver Rag for the Z3100 series ... only the media profile for Custom/FineArtPearl more ink.

Where did you find this mysterious profile?

Thanks!

Charles Gast

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 01:50:52 pm »

I can't find any ICC profiles for Museo Silver Rag for the Z3100 series ... only the media profile for Custom/FineArtPearl more ink.

Where did you find this mysterious profile?

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Go to designjet.com
downloads
z3100
ICC profiles
It is called Crane Museum Silver Rag.  It looks like it is actually a custom set and maybe not a profile.
My printers dead now anyway.  I get error 61:01 ivalid file format when attempting to print.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Ummm...
At least for the baseline Z3100 under Windows, the raster driver is the one to use. I had the impression the GL2 driver is for the PS version of the printer, though I could be totally wrong. Ironically enough, when Photoshop's updater killed my system I got to install HP's driver "clean", and a number of flaky behaviors went away, including that annoying HP folder on the desktop with every reboot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up