Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CA on Summicron 50/2?  (Read 1832 times)

bowa

CA on Summicron 50/2?
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:06:22 pm »

Hi Gurus,

I borrowed an M8 with new Summicron 50/2 from a reputable dealer and just took a few test shots.

What struck me was chromatic aberration/purple fringing on all the shots, using f4 to f8. Please see attached sample.

On the original images the CA is clearly visible and disturbing at 100%. Of course some tweaking could be applied in Camera Raw, but I did not expect this from a Summcron 50/2, fresh from the factory.

Have you experienced this CA? Bad lens? Or am I too critical?

BR / Bo

graphicjoe

CA on Summicron 50/2?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:29:12 am »

Bowa,

I have an M8 and an f2 50 mm lens. I also have a 35 mm f2 and have used both lenses daily since the camera arrived about two months ago. Not once have I seen anything like you described and posted. Something is clearly amiss somewhere along the way with the camera you have been using.

I photograph only in RAW mode and process files in the Phase One software that is supplied with the camera, but have also tried LightRoom and ACR. I have the Leica-supplied filter on each lens.

I hope my experience is helpful. If you provide more information or ask more specific questions it will be easier to respond in a mroe helpful way.

cheers,

Joe Stephenson

bowa

CA on Summicron 50/2?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:59:17 am »

Hi Joe,

Many thanks for your reply. The attached image was photograped with ISO 160 in DNG/RAW-mode and processed in ACR 4.1. Size reduction in PS3.

I'll try to convince my dealer that he should have a closer look at the lens.

BR / Bo Wannerberg
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1]   Go Up