Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better reds on the Z3100  (Read 3110 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Better reds on the Z3100
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »

I just wanted to say something that has maybe drifted into quietness too long.

As much as I like the highly colorful images on Glossy, the ID glossy has a gamut that is decidedly smaller than on Contract Proofing HG.
It is too thin for museum grade repro but man, the colors sing.
You might want to try it for those reds, oranges and other vibrant colors. It shows on this paper just how far you can go with the 3 added primaries.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 02:07:32 pm »

Neil,

Thanks for the post. Are you profiling with APS, built-in or using the stock HP profile for this proofing paper? Just curious.

Also curious as to why HP does not have a comparable production grade paper to match the gamut you are seeing on the Proof HG.

I don't have any of this paper, but you've got me very curious.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

neil snape

Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:25:10 pm »

Neil,

Thanks for the post. Are you profiling with APS, built-in or using the stock HP profile for this proofing paper? Just curious.

Also curious as to why HP does not have a comparable production grade paper to match the gamut you are seeing on the Proof HG.

I don't have any of this paper, but you've got me very curious.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I used both APS and ProfileMaker 5.07. External profiles are just a little better , probably due to the i1 Pro over the LED built in i1. The UV less light source may some influence too, even though the i1 Pro is a tungsten light thus little or no UV either.

rdonson

Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:22 pm »

As much as I like the highly colorful images on Glossy, the ID glossy has a gamut that is decidedly smaller than on Contract Proofing HG.
It is too thin for museum grade repro but man, the colors sing.
You might want to try it for those reds, oranges and other vibrant colors. It shows on this paper just how far you can go with the 3 added primaries.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not familiar with Contract Proofing HG.  How does the gamut compare to the HP Pro Satin and HP Premium Instant-Dry Satin?  Those two currently produce the best reds for me on my non-APS Z3100.  

Reds on non-HP matte papers are a disappointment.  I'm still experimenting though to see if there's anyway to make up for the reds through post processing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:43:02 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:10:16 am »

Who makes Contract proofing HG?
Why is it called "contract proofing"?
I always assumed proofing paper was cheap throw away stuff intended to show how colors might look on expensive paper?

neil snape

Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:14:10 am »

Who makes Contract proofing HG?
Why is it called "contract proofing"?
I always assumed proofing paper was cheap throw away stuff intended to show how colors might look on expensive paper?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
HP Contract Proofing HG. It is not going to be cheap, as it is a competitor to Dupont, FujiHunt etc.
It works well on images and proofing. It does however have way too much Optical Brightner for museum printing.

dajaka

Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:57:32 pm »

This may be slightly off topic but I just downloaded  and installed the glossy_generic_more_ink.oms file and calibrated and profiled a photo paper (Intellicoat PDQ photobase) that we use for general poster/trade show displays.

I'm getting much better reds - richer and less orange - than with the previous calibration and profile I made using the custom/photo gloss paper settings.

While not identical, the results are much closer to the HP Premium instant dry gloss photo, which using the previous setup was dramatically better in the red colors than the PDQ.

I'd love to try the HP contract proof paper but it looks like it the largest rolls are 24"

I really don't like the way HP has implemented these extra paper settings. There is no way to have more than one paper actually use them and you can't name them to reflect the paper you are really using.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Better reds on the Z3100
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 05:39:53 pm »

Neil ,
yesterday I used the  Contract Proofing HG- (the sheets I got with the printer) and was surprised with the quality that came out.

Very lifely colours indeed and no gloss differential at all. A very nice gloss too, much better than the HPIDphotoGloss That I don't like very much.

Up until now I have not found any other third party glossy paper that works well with the Gloss enhancer- always there is the gloss differential . Or am I missing something?
The best papers that work are the HP prof Satin and the HPIDphotoSatin.

I really don't like the way HP has implemented these extra paper settings. There is no way to have more than one paper actually use them and you can't name them to reflect the paper you are really using.

I agree with you Dajaka,
HP should just let you choose how much ink you want to use on youre paper of choice,  instead of making simple things so complicated.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up