Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image difference between LR and PS CS3  (Read 4757 times)

bugnoir

Image difference between LR and PS CS3
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:20:19 pm »

I am seeing a difference between my images when opened in LR and opened to edit in PS CS3. The LR photo, after opening it in PS (and before making any edits) is not the same Image that I had in LR. And when I send the PS image back to LR (after making a few basic edits such as cloning and/or sharpening), the final print when printed through LR comes out looking like the dull PS image and not like the image I see in LR. I am using Windows XP, PS CS3, and a calibrated monitor. Does this make any sense? This is driving me nuts!   mike

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:32:38 am »

What are your Photoshop Color Settings set to? What color space are you exporting?

bugnoir

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:59:07 am »

What are your Photoshop Color Settings set to? What color space are you exporting?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am using ProPhoto RGB in all of my images. And I have my RGB color settings to convert to ProPhoto whenever there is a mismatch or no profile. Thanks for any input!

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:08:01 pm »

How are you getting your photo from Lightroom to PS?  Are you exporting and then opening or are you editing a copy within lightroom?  Also what file is it?  Are you starting with a RAW file - what does it open up as in PS?

If you are editing a copy from within lightroom you also need to make sure you choose the last option of the three which creates a copy with lightroom adjustments applied.

Other than that if your colour spaces are the same I am at a bit of a loss  

bugnoir

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:12:50 pm »

How are you getting your photo from Lightroom to PS?  Are you exporting and then opening or are you editing a copy within lightroom?  Also what file is it?  Are you starting with a RAW file - what does it open up as in PS?

If you are editing a copy from within lightroom you also need to make sure you choose the last option of the three which creates a copy with lightroom adjustments applied.

Other than that if your colour spaces are the same I am at a bit of a loss 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the interest. Fyi, I start out with a RAW file in LR and then open a copy of the file with LR adjustments so that I can edit it in PS. When I go over to PS, I have an image that is a bit lower in contrast and not nearly as saturated as the original RAW file. Also, when the image opens in PS, it is converted (if that is the right word) to a PSD file. This PSD file is then moved back to LR when I close the PS version. Strange but true.

Hendrik

• http://www.hendrik-fotografie.nl
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:01:58 pm »

Did you compare the histograms?

Just a suggestion, I noticed I had the same, the LR image had more ‘punch’, but when I compared two opened files side by side (one LR, one PS CS3), they looked the same. Maybe it looks different because the background is lighter in PS?

Can you show a screen capture?

bugnoir

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:29 pm »

There is a slight difference between histograms. If you can tell me how to grab a screen capture, I will be happy to give it a shot. Thanks.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »

There is a slight difference between histograms. If you can tell me how to grab a screen capture, I will be happy to give it a shot. Thanks.
Alt+PrtSc (Alt+Print Screen) gives a screenshot of the currently active application.

The screenshot can be pasted into a new document in Photoshop:

Create a new file (Photoshop automatically suggests using "clipboard settings"), hit Ctrl+V to paste.

If you want to take a screenshot of the entire screen, use PrtSc only.
Jan

christiaan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:09 pm »

I am seeing a difference between my images when opened in LR and opened to edit in PS CS3. The LR photo, after opening it in PS (and before making any edits) is not the same Image that I had in LR. And when I send the PS image back to LR (after making a few basic edits such as cloning and/or sharpening), the final print when printed through LR comes out looking like the dull PS image and not like the image I see in LR. I am using Windows XP, PS CS3, and a calibrated monitor. Does this make any sense? This is driving me nuts!   mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is important to work with Metadata (see the preferences).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:55:36 pm »

Previews between the two app's are identical for me. That's how it should function.

You DO need to look at the two images at 100% or greater!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

oldcsar

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:53:43 pm »

There are real differences between Lightroom and CS3 images. I believe part of the reason is their different user interfaces; for me, this can result in slightly different outputs. I navigate and work within Camera Raw differently from how I navigate Lightroom.

Even when I was using Camera Raw 4.0, there were differences between outputs, even though it is said that LR and CS3 both come with CR4. Even though adjustments in Lightroom are essentially compatible with CR4, Neatimage 5 profiles (which were created from Lightroom processed RAW files in PS3, for removing noise from LR imported images), I would ALWAYS get a lower profile match with CR4 processed files-- this alone was interesting, because I bought into the idea that they processed files the same. There were even subtle differences when comparing zero'd, linear results from LR and CR4. If there aren't subtle, technical differences between the two engines, I still believe that the different user interfaces affect the end results.

This is not to say that you can't produce visually identical results from LR and CR4, but my personal experience has shown that it is entirely possible to produce different results.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 05:59:43 pm by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

bugnoir

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 04:57:17 pm »

Greetings all. I just wanted to post a follow-up to my original question/problem. I have just upgraded LR to version 1.1. I also found a new driver for my printer. The combination today really worked well. I made a wonderful print directly through LR with none of the problems I had in my original post. Thanks to all who replied to my post!  mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up