Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apperture - managing files...  (Read 9825 times)

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Apperture - managing files...
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:33:12 pm »

Because I use NEF Raw files and us NX to convert my workflow is sadly a little longwinded.

1. Load files from camera into a desktop folder.
2. Open in Bridge, Cull, tweak order and Batch rename.
3. Import referenced files into Aperture.
4. Cull, general IPTC etc
5. Use show file in finder to locate image, edit in NX, save as TIFF, open in CS edit and then save as print, and various web versions.
6 And here is the snag, the Versions then have to be loaded into aperture, individually, which is a real pain, and easy to lose track of what has and what hasn't been done. Anyone come up with any ideas for managing this last step.

many thanks

PS
Apple - Aperture - a monitor folder for updates would be Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:31:03 pm by Steven Draper »
image examples are at my website  [url=h

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:10 pm »

Because I use NEF Raw files and us NX to convert my workflow is sadly a little longwinded.

1. Load files from camera into a desktop folder.
2. Open in Bridge, Cull, tweak order and Batch rename.
3. Import referenced files into Aperture.
4. Cull, general IPTC etc
5. Use show file in finder to locate image, edit in NX, save as TIFF, open in CS edit and then save as print, and various web versions.
6 And here is the snag, the Versions then have to be loaded into aperture, individually, which is a real pain, and easy to lose track of what has and what hasn't been done. Anyone come up with any ideas for managing this last step.

many thanks

PS
Apple - Aperture - a monitor folder for updates would be Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand.  Why not just bring the NEF files into Aperture as step 1?  That's really the intent of Aperture -- to work with RAW files.  Steps 1-6 would collapse to like 2 steps, with none of the need for your "hot folder" feature.

Steven Draper

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:15:19 pm »

I don't understand.  Why not just bring the NEF files into Aperture as step 1?  That's really the intent of Aperture -- to work with RAW files.  Steps 1-6 would collapse to like 2 steps, with none of the need for your "hot folder" feature.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thankyou for you reply.

First sorry about the "pp" in aperture!

Well I'd love to bring NEF files straight into Aperture, however I have a couple of problems.

1.The main issue is that I use NX as my RAW converter for most images, although I may "proof adjust" in aperture. By importing the NEF into Aperture (unless things have changed) I cannot export the NEF to NX, only Jpeg or TIFF.

2. I do most of my work on a lap top. At "base" I have a external HD and I guess will get bigger ones as time goes by, however am limited to Laptop and small portable most of the time. Currently it is easier for me to have my folder system with previews in Aperture. If I could get around 1, then I would probably import into Aperture and then export projects provided I could leave a "ghost preview" on the laptop.

3. I could not get the re-name function to rename the actual files name. Again this is possibly "OK " if the whole lot was imported into Aperture as the actual name is almost irrelevant.

I'd love to have missed something and to be put right!

Many thanks
Steven

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:40:52 pm »

First sorry about the "pp" in aperture! [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, I'm amazed how many people - photographers - try to spell it "Aperature", and "Appiture" has been seen at Apple's forums. Maybe Apple should have called it "f" ?

John
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:41:15 pm by johnbeardy »

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:37:30 pm »

Thankyou for you reply.

First sorry about the "pp" in aperture!

Well I'd love to bring NEF files straight into Aperture, however I have a couple of problems.

1.The main issue is that I use NX as my RAW converter for most images, although I may "proof adjust" in aperture. By importing the NEF into Aperture (unless things have changed) I cannot export the NEF to NX, only Jpeg or TIFF.

2. I do most of my work on a lap top. At "base" I have a external HD and I guess will get bigger ones as time goes by, however am limited to Laptop and small portable most of the time. Currently it is easier for me to have my folder system with previews in Aperture. If I could get around 1, then I would probably import into Aperture and then export projects provided I could leave a "ghost preview" on the laptop.

3. I could not get the re-name function to rename the actual files name. Again this is possibly "OK " if the whole lot was imported into Aperture as the actual name is almost irrelevant.

I'd love to have missed something and to be put right!

Many thanks
Steven
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That will be the challenge -- Aperture is really designed to replace your RAW converter.  That is to say, you would use Aperture *instead* of Nikon Capture, or Adobe Camera RAW, or Capture One, or Lightoom.

For #2, project work between a laptop and desktop works pretty well with managed projects (i.e. contained within the library) as you can export/import them as atomic units.

On #3, this is correct -- Aperture will not rename the RAW files (UNLESS you use "relocate masters.").  But if you export a file to TIFF or JPEG, you get this functionality.

Steven Draper

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:16:25 pm »

That will be the challenge -- Aperture is really designed to replace your RAW converter.  That is to say, you would use Aperture *instead* of Nikon Capture, or Adobe Camera RAW, or Capture One, or Lightoom.

For #2, project work between a laptop and desktop works pretty well with managed projects (i.e. contained within the library) as you can export/import them as atomic units.

On #3, this is correct -- Aperture will not rename the RAW files (UNLESS you use "relocate masters.").  But if you export a file to TIFF or JPEG, you get this functionality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks, yes, sorry once again for the pp, a little quick on the keyboard.

I had a long chat with an Aperture rep last year about a few things, and he was very excited as one can imagine.

He pointed out to us all, that Aperture was still at version 1.5, not 5 or 6 and it would evolve over time. There were lots of things they would like it to do. I would imagine that with the new OS release in October a version 2 will follow in spring 2008.

The only snag with Aperture as a convertor is that in terms of IQ, I do not think it as good as NX, plus I play around a lot in CS. I also normally shoot with camera settings off and NX interface makes it easy to add them later! Saying that I have found for small to mid size general and event style prints and quick web images, and family pictures it is fine.

However as far as I understand, raw updates will also reconvert the raw in already processed image files, which is potentially a bonus - or a pain!
Pages: [1]   Go Up