Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple software issues HP Z3100  (Read 9283 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Multiple software issues HP Z3100
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:23:25 am »

First off while printing yesterday I discovered that after all this time the problem of printing large or long HD images through the driver on the non Postscript version remain.
Images less than the 30000 pixel limit will cause a program error when attempting to print from CS2 Photoshop (Apple). Tried custom page sizes, different placements etc. In any case the images 50x230 cm at 300 ppi (8 bit sRGB) could not be processed. By downsizing to 150 ppi all was fine. Yet there is no excuse for printing at reduced downsized files .

Secondly the shipped printer had a faulty DOA Green Blue print head. Not a software problem but one that perhaps is causing a software bug.
On the PC after trying out some of the functionality that was in the utility but not yet linked such as Pro Active support etc, the PC upon active diagnostics tells me that all the print heads are expired. Perhaps the prototype/beta head could be but not all the heads. Down to the Mac and the utility printer status/supplies/Printheads says they are all in warranty.

Please note , much of the functionality of the pro active support is PC only, and will only work in Explorer, not in any Mozilla browser. They have tags in the Mac utility, the icons etc,  to check for software updates but the request comes back with it is a Windows only deal. Well get it together for users sakes please, and try to do more QA on software. I am sure that forum members would like to have somewhere to post there software issues to as tech support is not a backdoor to sloppy software releases.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:36:07 am »

I tried the pro-active support option myself before using the fone to open a support ticket.  It also said my print heads were out of warranty, when using "Easy Printer Care" reported them to be in warranty.  I wrote it off as "stupid" and decided it would be better to just call them.

QImage does resolve the "high res print" problem by breaking output bitmaps into strips that don't make the driver freak out. I print 60x120cm at 600 dpi with no problem (other than long processing time).  The other advantage of QImage is dot-level interpolation and sharpening, so the output doesn't look pixelated.

I've seen the output from the PS version, and while it's nice to have it do auto page ordering and queue management, it really does nothing for you with interpolation or sharpening, so anything printed large is full of obvious pixelations.

... HP still has some work to do.

neil snape

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:48:28 am »

Yes exactly why I like Qimage. Too bad it's PC only.
I just went back upstairs to look at the pro active Easy Care panel and low and behold the heads are now in warranty, all of them.

This problem of some type of caching has come up before. On the Mac the Utlility often shows no media control options after any firmware or software changes between the other printers such as the 9180 and the Z printers. I assume it's a cache soemwhere or a chached xml list that is not refreshing. But then again why is it up to us users to define what it is, nor how to fix it.
Very frustrated......

dajaka

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:46:35 am »

I also got an program error when trying to print a 300 dpi image 76" x 18" to my non PS Z3100 using Photoshop CS2 on an Macbook. I moved the image to a G4 tower and it printed fine. I assume there might be issues with scratch disk space when printing large images.

neil snape

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:08:18 pm »

I also got an program error when trying to print a 300 dpi image 76" x 18" to my non PS Z3100 using Photoshop CS2 on an Macbook. I moved the image to a G4 tower and it printed fine. I assume there might be issues with scratch disk space when printing large images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Could be, but it would be a temp spool file (.usr/etc or something) on the Mac not related to Photoshop. I have a separate scratch disc with +>100GB free for Photoshop.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:38:18 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Using a powermac I noticed I also have problems while printing large files from Photoshop.( over 200MB CS2  and over  400mb CS3)

I don't know the reason , there is memory enough- . But I noticed restarting Photoshop sometimes fixes the problem- so it seems memory related.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

neil snape

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:13:22 pm »

Using a powermac I noticed I also have problems while printing large files from Photoshop.( over 200MB CS2  and over  400mb CS3)

I don't know the reason , there is memory enough- . But I noticed restarting Photoshop sometimes fixes the problem- so it seems memory related.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is not Photoshop that spools, but should be the system. Since the error is returned to Photoshop however it could be in the hand off of the data from Photoshop to the system.
My PowerMac is a dual 1.25 MDD, 2 GB ram, 4 discs total 2 Tb and pretty clean outside of beta testing. Photoshop is running at 70% memory, and I always leave the Activity monitor on. Not seeing any particular swap file problems for page outs.

neil snape

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:25:15 pm »

It is not Photoshop that spools, but should be the system. Since the error is returned to Photoshop however it could be in the hand off of the data from Photoshop to the system.
My PowerMac is a dual 1.25 MDD, 2 GB ram, 4 discs total 2 Tb and pretty clean outside of beta testing. Photoshop is running at 70% memory, and I always leave the Activity monitor on. Not seeing any particular swap file problems for page outs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Furious. If it wasn't for the danger to the public I'd like to throw this printer out the window.
At the end of the roll on a 2.5metre print it just stopped printing when the roll released just short of 20cm from the end. At least 50 cm remain on the roll. The printer hosed yet another job.

Added:

Then to add injury to insult, the printer freezes. Hard reboot the only solution.
Well, have to print it again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:35:28 pm by neil snape »

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 02:19:11 pm »

Furious. If it wasn't for the danger to the public I'd like to throw this printer out the window.
At the end of the roll on a 2.5metre print it just stopped printing when the roll released just short of 20cm from the end. At least 50 cm remain on the roll. The printer hosed yet another job.
Added:

Then to add injury to insult, the printer freezes. Hard reboot the only solution.
Well, have to print it again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123563\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neil,

Probably not related to your problem, but is your printer connected via USB or Ethernet?

You must have some big windows!

neil snape

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 02:40:33 pm »

Neil,

Probably not related to your problem, but is your printer connected via USB or Ethernet?

You must have some big windows!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ethernet not far from the router and switch, <10' (3m).

Oh yes , lots of big windows, walk out doors that have actually seen a Z printer go out then back in the other door windows in the other room.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:42:08 pm by neil snape »

Villager

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 05:19:28 am »

Quote from: neil snape,Jun 18 2007, 02:40 PM
Ethernet not far from the router and switch, <10' (3m).

I recently spent many hours on the phone with HP, the PS technical support, and even visited a Mac Genius in case it was my Macbook, in order to resolve a program error that occurred everytime I tried to print a 723 mb 40x61 inch file at 322 dpi using CS2.  I was finally able to resolve it by switching the connection from USB to an ethernet cable, switching to CS3, and lowering the CS3 memory to 20% (perhaps overkill).  The spooling took forever but I was finally able to produce my first large print without having to reduce dpi or compress the image. Relieved doesn't even come close to expressing how much better I feel.

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:26:59 am »

I've been printing on the Z3100 from an admittedly marginal computer:  I have only 1gig of RAM on an XPPro PC, and print from Qimage.  I now use Qimage to interpolate my files.  I shoot with a 1DMkII and convert to Prophoto RGB 16bit Tiffs, which are roughly 39mb in size, at 300ppi.  

When the printer is set to accept up to 600ppi rendering resolution and make a 24x36 print,  and Qimage is set to send the printer a file interpolated at that size,  Qimage can finish processing the image but the printer doesn't receive the file.  I have worked around this by cutting the bit depth to 8 bits and sending the file under the same conditions, which works.  I also have tried keeping the file at 16bit depth but limiting the rendering resolution in Qimage to 300ppi and limiting the printer driver to Best but at 300ppi.

Either way I can get my 24x36 printed, and I'm not sure if I can see a difference in the result.  Is there a hypothetical, at least, advantage to choosing one way or the other?  Does the Z3100 actually accept and print at 16bit depth, or does it convert down to 8bits?

My hunch is that making the file smaller by cutting the bit depth should actually have less of an impact on the print than cutting the resolution.

neil snape

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:33 pm »

Either way I can get my 24x36 printed, and I'm not sure if I can see a difference in the result.  Is there a hypothetical, at least, advantage to choosing one way or the other?  Does the Z3100 actually accept and print at 16bit depth, or does it convert down to 8bits?

My hunch is that making the file smaller by cutting the bit depth should actually have less of an impact on the print than cutting the resolution.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Z3100 will convert any file sent in 16 bit to 8 bit regardless of what printing application other than a rip is used. There will not or cannot be a discernible difference as the printer only will run 8 bits through the printer processor.

deanwork

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:23:38 pm »

As far as I can tell the Z software is not set up to accept 16 bit files for output, especially without a rip. The Canon IPF software has a plug in designed to do that and users have reported subtle improvements in tonal transitions with some images, but not radical improvements.

People will correct me if I"m wrong but I would assume that reducing the output resolution is far more significant, even if the Z did utilize 16 bit data. Q Image seems to be the way to handle this machine right now.

Man I wish Q-Image was compatible with OSX. My only pc is taken up, and I"m loaded with macs around here. From what I have read on these lists, the relaively cheap investment in Q Image is a far bigger bang for the buck than the Image Print package that HP is providing for a grand more at initial purchase.  Is anyone actually using the Image Print set up around here? If so, what is that doing for large print size output? I haven't bought one yet so I'm still deliberating and certainly leaning toward QImage.

john

Does the Z3100 actually accept and print at 16bit depth, or does it convert down to 8bits?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:31:10 pm by deanwork »

walter.sk

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 10:32:52 am »

Neil and John:

Thanks for the replies.  John,  I've used Qimage for years now, and haven't printed from Photoshop since downloading Qimage.  If you have the Intel Mac you could probably run Qimage on the PC side, or if you have the printer connected through the ethernet interface you could probably keep Qimage on a PC and access your image files from a networked Mac.

Qimage is clearly a labor of love on Mike Chaney's part, with updates posted so frequently it's hard to keep up with them.  Rather than just adding new features, the upgrades (free for your lifetime) make better use of processor and memory, improve interpolation schemes, and make layouts easier and easier.  The softproofing is at least as accurate as Photoshop's, and A-B'd with a mouse click.  I don't work for DDI Software, but am so pleased with Qimage that I gladly tout its presence.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 04:10:46 pm »

John,

AFAIK Windows only enables 8 bit printer drivers.  16 bit paths require software such as a Photoshop plug-in or a RIP that will manage communications to the printer.

As Neal points out it may be a moot point anyway if the printer only uses 8 bit.

Qimage - the only way to fly - huge timesaver and an extraordinary bargain
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:15:43 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:34 pm »

Thanks.

Both Canon and the new Epson's are stating they utilize 16 bit files.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro...tPrinterDrivers

It might be interesting for small things but I surely wouldn't want to get into the habbit of ripping that size file for all my larger work. Your right, only useful on Mac platform now apparently.

john

John,

AFAIK Windows only enables 8 bit printer drivers.  16 bit paths require software such as a Photoshop plug-in or a RIP that will manage communications to the printer.

A Neal points out it may be a moot point anyway if the printer only uses 8 bit.

Qimage - the only way to fly - huge timesaver and an extraordinary bargain
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »

When all the options for producing good prints are explored I'm not convinced that 16 bit printing is all that its cracked up to be (yet).  It might be great for marketing printers but in the real world I don't think it makes as big a difference as some would have us believe.  Especially when you look at all that goes into making a great printer.  16 bit files have to be a teeny consideration compared to everything else.

Thanks.

Both Canon and the new Epson's are stating they utilize 16 bit files.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro...tPrinterDrivers

It might be interesting for small things but I surely wouldn't want to get into the habbit of ripping that size file for all my larger work. Your right, only useful on Mac platform now apparently.

john
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Regards,
Ron

stewarthemley

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 04:24:54 am »

Having used it for years now, and compared it with expensive alternatives, just have to add my 2c for Qimage. Brilliant program, superb support. Seems to solve many printing problems, makes great prints, free updates almost hourly! It has to be one of the wonders of the digital age. (I have no connection, just feel we should supprt great products and their creators.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:25:43 am by stewarthemley »

deanwork

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »

Thanks for that. Yes, they have a fantastic reputation from what I gather, especially for the price.

john

Having used it for years now, and compared it with expensive alternatives, just have to add my 2c for Qimage. Brilliant program, superb support. Seems to solve many printing problems, makes great prints, free updates almost hourly! It has to be one of the wonders of the digital age. (I have no connection, just feel we should supprt great products and their creators.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up