Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Firmware for Z3100ps GP  (Read 4957 times)

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
New Firmware for Z3100ps GP
« on: June 17, 2007, 07:05:56 pm »

There is new firmware available for the Z3100ps GP...(TR12-TR12PS_04_00_00-6_mvl40-x86-opt_B) has anyone upgraded?

DC

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:15:13 pm »

Any idea what's in the update?
Regards,
Ron

gstanley75

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »

I received a new 24" z3100 two weeks ago.  I immediatley updated the firmware and all drivers, etc. to run on a MacBook Pro using the laterst OS 10.4xxx.  I have had no problems with the updates.  I had no experience with the old firmware and drives so don't know what was really fixed.

Jon Abbott

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:27:43 pm »

That firmware version came installed on mine, so it's been out for at least three weeks. I'm hoping for a newer upgrade includes all the options of the plain z3100 version 5 firmware and drivers; I'd especially like the option of ink reduction (and increase) controls for custom papers. I didn't expect the PS model to have firmware that was lacking some functions of the non PS model.

BTW, the APS in the last couple of days had a minor version upgrade that, according to the release notes, is supposed to improve the quality of profiles.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:28:39 pm »

I received a new 24" z3100 two weeks ago.  I immediatley updated the firmware and all drivers, etc. to run on a MacBook Pro using the laterst OS 10.4xxx.  I have had no problems with the updates.  I had no experience with the old firmware and drives so don't know what was really fixed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If anything there will have been some links in the UI for submitting jobs and general communication updates to the printer op sys, as well as the last media set ups which were finalised some time ago.
I had used that version with less problems than any previous version of the PS drivers.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »

John,

You say,

> I'd especially like the option of ink reduction (and increase) controls for custom papers.

I don't recall a setting like this on the plain-Jane z3100.  Am I missing something?

-s

Arhaeus

• http://
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 02:23:53 am »

I see some of you have Z3100ps already. How are the colors printing with the PS driver? I’ve heard that the reds are a problem for the Z series…
Mine will arrive on Monday and I want to know what to expect.

neil snape

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:37:52 am »

I see some of you have Z3100ps already. How are the colors printing with the PS driver? I’ve heard that the reds are a problem for the Z series…
Mine will arrive on Monday and I want to know what to expect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I didn't have a shipping PS printer but did my best to help out with testing.
The color matching is exactly the same as the non PS models.
This story of the reds is something blown way out of proportion.
It is a fact that the Z printer can print reds well on all papers except the mostly raw rag media. On these papers B&W are fine but reds however are weak. Those are only the extreme reds too, as less saturated reds still will repro on rag media.
On all other media including more substantially coated fine art matte media such as HP Smooth Fine Art, Epson Enhanced Matte, etc have very nice repro overall and the reds are still reproduced well.
It's not the strongest printer on reds on Fine Art, but nor is an Epson on greens or green blues. Similar things can be found with Canon. Excellent reds in the upper range, best in class actually, but on rag they are not better , perhaps worse than HP.
For the rest of the media types it has a range of tones that can be truly wonderful, often best in class for things like landscapes.

neil snape

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 03:44:19 am »

John,

You say,

> I'd especially like the option of ink reduction (and increase) controls for custom papers.

I don't recall a setting like this on the plain-Jane z3100.  Am I missing something?

-s
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No there is no GCR control or ink limiting in any current HP drivers. What the future holds I don't know, but do know the request for such a control was put in place.
The option of inking has always been in the driver but not an ink limiting per se. By using the driver more inking you change only the mid tones (gamma) but not the end points for separation.
Separations are very very complicated. I am not sure  there will be an ink limiting slider in a driver. Perhaps a curve or lut that pulls the 3/4 tones though might be interesting.

Jon Abbott

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 05:17:30 am »

John,

You say,

I don't recall a setting like this on the plain-Jane z3100.  Am I missing something?

-s
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have this option on my z3100ps model. But an HP Tech Newsletter pdf dated June 1 indicates that if you are using firmware version 5.0.0.4 one can choose and install custom media presets that have more or less ink limits. But this version is not available yet for the z3100ps GP (I think the most current ps version is 4.0.0.6). I think the ink limit is hard set in the media presets, but it is better than nothing. I think a slider like in Epson software, for Color Density, would be useful.

But right now I have a software problem even making a custom paper preset from the Premium ID HP papers as they are not listed in my Color Center - Manage Papers choices. These Premium papers all have higher ink limits than the three choices I have available. But many more are listed in the printer front panel. I did synchronize. It seems like a software bug. So tomorrow I'm looking for a solution or workaround, or it's back to the 9800 to print a job with Epson Premium Semimatte 250 (my favorite photo type paper), which I was dying to test on the new HP with gloss. I keep reading about red issues, and two of the clients files have totally extreme gamut clipping red clothing, but it's a poor test if I can't lay down maximum ink.

I've barely used the z3100ps yet; printed about 40 b &w prints today on a cheaper rag paper, but WOW, they were amazing. I looked at them with a 60x Peak scope, and the pigments were all black (the files were desaturated RGB). I never got that with my Epsons, even though they made great B&W prints, there was always (even using Advanced BW) lots of colored pigments when examined with the loop, which slightly concerned me about color and contrast shifts due to fading over time.

I did one very quick rgb to cymk conversion and sent it to the postscript rip, and it looked good. The file was totally within screen and printer gamut, and not a stress test for swop proofing, but at least it printed as expected.

Lije

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 12:32:14 pm »

Hi all
My HP Easy Printer Care center says my machine requires firmware update. I downloaded new update, unzipped, but computer doesn't recognise .fmw file extension. It has the latest driver for raster installer downloaded. Any suggestions please.

There is new firmware available for the Z3100ps GP...(TR12-TR12PS_04_00_00-6_mvl40-x86-opt_B) has anyone upgraded?

DC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 12:54:58 pm »

Hi all
My HP Easy Printer Care center says my machine requires firmware update. I downloaded new update, unzipped, but computer doesn't recognise .fmw file extension. It has the latest driver for raster installer downloaded. Any suggestions please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use the HP Easy Printer Care facility.  Go to the "Support" tab and select "Firmware Update".  That will open up a browser and you should be able to follow the bouncing ball to update your firmware.

This is the way it works on a PC.  Mac may be different.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up