Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 print utility problem  (Read 7947 times)

charlier

Epson 3800 print utility problem
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:01:25 pm »

I have an Epson 3800.  Setup was a breeze.  The 3800 prints great on the network to using Mac X Mac intel-pro and an Win XP platform.  The problems are that neither the: Epson print watcher v. 3.3/Epson print status and Epson LFP Remote Panel communicate with the printer (or maybe the printer does not communicate with the computer).

For example, I get communication errors with the Epson Print status, although my print jobs work fine.  Or using the media adjustment tool (on the SLP remote panel), I get <can't communicate with printer> message.

It platform independent, since it happens on WinXP and Mac OS X.  

Any suggestions?  Thank, Charlie

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:32:21 pm »

Can you explain your network setup on the 3800? Is it a static IP? If not, can you try setting it to a static IP? Some users have reported communications issues if not using a static IP. Are there any firewalls in place that could be getting in the way of the bidirectional communication?
Eric Chan

charlier

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:36:04 am »

Can you explain your network setup on the 3800? Is it a static IP? If not, can you try setting it to a static IP? Some users have reported communications issues if not using a static IP. Are there any firewalls in place that could be getting in the way of the bidirectional communication?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will talk to my sys administrator about the network, but our network consists of mac and pc using fast ethernet switches. I think that we use DCHP for networking protocol.  It weird that the print jobs  all work fine, but I can not communicate using the Epson utilities panel.  Our Macs use v10.4.9, PC's still use XP professional.  Also, no firewires are in place - at least between the printers and mac/pcs.   I will check on that.  Charlie

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:30:31 pm »

I think you are getting only computer -> printer communication working (which is why you can make prints) but aren't getting printer -> computer communications, which is why the utilities (which require both) aren't working. Good idea to check with the sys admin ...
Eric Chan

dgillilan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:03:15 pm »

I have an Epson 3800.  Setup was a breeze.  The 3800 prints great on the network to using Mac X Mac intel-pro and an Win XP platform.  The problems are that neither the: Epson print watcher v. 3.3/Epson print status and Epson LFP Remote Panel communicate with the printer (or maybe the printer does not communicate with the computer).

For example, I get communication errors with the Epson Print status, although my print jobs work fine.  Or using the media adjustment tool (on the SLP remote panel), I get <can't communicate with printer> message.

It platform independent, since it happens on WinXP and Mac OS X. 

Any suggestions?  Thank, Charlie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Charlie, if I may add to what Eric has posted - I believe that there is a driver update for the network use of the LFP remote panel thing. There was a problem that several people experienced, on a network, and the update is on the Epson site now. You may wish to download and install that one. People said that it cleared up the problem with the LFP remote panel actions on a network environment. I am not on a network, so can't help there,
Debra

charlier

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »

Charlie, if I may add to what Eric has posted - I believe that there is a driver update for the network use of the LFP remote panel thing. There was a problem that several people experienced, on a network, and the update is on the Epson site now. You may wish to download and install that one. People said that it cleared up the problem with the LFP remote panel actions on a network environment. I am not on a network, so can't help there,
Debra
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Debra
Thanks for the information.  On both the Mac and PC, I did turn off the firewall protection - this did not help.  Still no communication using the LFP panel.  Let me go to Epson for the drive update.  I keep everyone informed.  

The printer is fantastic.  Great output using both Epson and Ilford paper stock.   Charlie

charlier

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:15:07 pm »

I downloaded the epson1244_pro_network_firmware_101 update. But since the Epson remote panel firmware updater does not communicate between my printer and computer, I can not install the firmware.  Its a catch 22.  

Epson online help suggested I download the Pro 7800 driver and status monitor and see if that helps. Epson told me that the status monitor has to work over a network in order for any of the utilities to work and they have found that adding the 7800 driver and status monitor will resolve these issues in most cases.  

Let see what happens. If I can solve the Mac issue, then I'll try it on winXP.   FYI, the firewall is off.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Charlie

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 04:38:51 pm »

Along similar lines, you may want to try this:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...ml#networkbidir

Eric
Eric Chan

charlier

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 07:56:54 pm »

Along similar lines, you may want to try this:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...ml#networkbidir

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eric - thanks for the link.  the mit solution is similar to epson's solution - just use a different driver. i'll first try epson 7800 driver.   the other choice is to upload the network firmwire via usb (on my llaptop) to the printer. that might fix the problem.  

at least the print jobs are smooth and the output is very good.  so far i am using epson premium or velvet fine art paper, but soon i might try the standard ilford stock papers.  cheers, charlie

charlier

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 07:47:02 pm »

hi all

i downloaded the 7800/9800 epson monitor watcher and printer driver and guess what - the epson remote panel utility works.  both on my mac and pc. i also uploaded the most recent firmware and network firmware.  now, i have to work on profiles with different types of papers.  thanks for all the help!  charlie
Pages: [1]   Go Up