Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF Firmware Updating on the Mac  (Read 4239 times)

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Canon iPF Firmware Updating on the Mac
« on: June 16, 2007, 02:08:15 pm »

I've discovered a little trick that I'd like to share that allows Mac users to update the firmware on any iPF printer. Canon's various worldwide websites are a mess of different installers for Mac and Windows. There are holes in their installers and firmware updates which force users to jump from one regional website to another. Right now none of their sites offer a Mac Firmware updater for the iPF8000 and if you call them they will incorrectly tell you that it can't be done. What's worse is that the Windows firmware installers often mysteriously won't connect to the printer even though you can print to it.

If you look at the folder for the GARO Firmware Update Tool (Mac or PC) you'll see a data folder which is where the firmware update ".jdl" files are that are sent to the printer. They are named for example, "iPF5000V0123.jdl" for the iPF 5000 version 1.23 firmware update. If you download and install the Windows Firmware update for the 8000 or 9000 you can copy the "iPF8000V0120.jdl" and "iPF9000V0120.jdl" files to the mac and use them there just fine. The Mac utility always seems to work while the Windows updater is flakey. It would be great if Canon just made these .jdl files directly downloadable from each of their sites. Canon tech support isn't allowed to email or FTP these files even if you ask them to.

Of course, if you don't have a PC to install the Windows installers on you won't be able to extract the .jdl file you need. If so, email me at scott@on-sight.com and I'll FTP it to you so you can avoid the Canon support mess and get back to work. The latest firmware updates do deliver impressive quality especially when the Plug-in is used with it's 16bit path with custom 16bit profiles made from 16 bit targets. With this path, Canon's gamut, smoothness and speed are outstanding without a RIP.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Doyle Yoder

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:50:58 am »

Great - this is helpful! Is there even an english speaking page that links to them? Why Canon USA says these updaters don't exist or why they can't put them on their website (or Canon Europe's) is beyond me!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

chris172

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:26:26 pm »

Fortunately I have both Mac & Pc so have updated using the PC berfore this tip.

I have to say it really is worthwhile updating to V1.20 as mine (iPF8000) doesn't do a clean when powered up now but does a nozzle check instead.... uses a lot less ink and the Maintenance Tank has stopped filling by 20% every time I switch it on....... Worth it just for that!!!

mcmorrison

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13:32 pm »

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the new v 1.25 driver on the Mac? Is re-profiling necessary? Are there any issues or problems?

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:38:21 am »

Does anyone have experience with the new v 1.25 driver on the Mac? Is re-profiling necessary? Are there any issues or problems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problems or re-profiling needed. 1.25 is just smarter about ink consumption at startup.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up