Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P30+ back reports ?  (Read 8718 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
P30+ back reports ?
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:15:30 am »

Has any one here taken any real images yet with the P30+ ?
Has anyone here been able to make real comparisons with the P30 ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ixpressraf

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 05:30:56 pm »

Are U sure this is 400 iso and not 800 or accidently boosted a stop???? I am absolutely not impressed with what i see in this picture. It is about the same quality in noise and colornoise as was my Ixpress 384 before the upgrade to flexcolor 4.6 and now even that back is better than what i get to see here.
I think something went terrebly wrong with that image you posted  .

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 05:58:09 pm »

Yes, it's 400.  I did mention that it was overexposed by about a stop.

As to whether it's "impressive" or not is something everyone can decide for themselves.  I've never shot with an i-express, so I don't know anything about that.  I will say that I'm looking at this on a laptop screen, so maybe I'm not getting as critical a view as you are. (It's a MacBook Pro, though, which has a decent screen).

Are U sure this is 400 iso and not 800 or accidently boosted a stop???? I am absolutely not impressed with what i see in this picture. It is about the same quality in noise and colornoise as was my Ixpress 384 before the upgrade to flexcolor 4.6 and now even that back is better than what i get to see here.
I think something went terrebly wrong with that image you posted  .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:06:16 pm by william »

ixpressraf

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 06:06:37 pm »

Sorry, i was only wondering because i expected the P30+ to be the top of the bill in digital backs but this image kind a makes me happy. I already had images shot with a P45 aswell as with the p25 and i am still very happy i chose for the hasselblad H2+CF22 and CF39. After  the introduction of flexcolor 4.7 it has become an unbeatable combination. I really would like to do a real world comparison between the most used systems in digital backs.  

awofinden

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 06:16:07 pm »

Soft and noisy? Thats not a great combination. I am really looking forward to a good side by side test. Michael do you have one in the pipeline? Why isn't phase giving the testers units to try. It seems your the first to get test units from phase, whats going on? Do phase not want these things tested and if not why?

awofinden

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 06:19:33 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, I think preliminary observations from people with the P30+ may be in some other threads on this forum.

As it happens, I took the P30+ out for a quick spin today with a friend of mine (note: yes, I'm still considering selling the P30+ and no, I didn't drop it or anything when playing around today!).  As a preliminary matter, the only criticism I have thus far is that the auto white balance is less than spectacular for daylight shots.  This was also the case with my P30.  (Although I mostly shot the P30 in the studio with strobes, so white balance was much more controlled and therefore spot-on).  Also, while I was shooting, the shots looked underexposed on the LCD so, rather than trusting my in-camera meter, I opened up by about 1/3 of a stop so the shots looked correct on the LCD.  Lo and behold, I open them in C1 and they're all overexposed by almost exactly 1/3 of a stop.  Lesson: If I'm going to rely on the screen for exposure feedback (no, I wasn't using the histogram; I generally don't because I find it distracting for this type of shooting), I need to adjust the screen brightness.

The attached JPEG was processed quickly in Capture One (I'm sure I coul optimize it with more time).  No adjustments other than levels to compensate for my overexposure.  Shot with a Contax 645 w. 140mm lens at 2.8.  I purposefully shot at ISO 400 even though it was bright enough outside to use 100, because I wanted to see the ISO 400 quality.   To my eye, the ISO 400 is a *substantial* improvement over the P30; I considered ISO 400 on the P30 to be useable in a pinch, but certainly not on a regular basis.  By contrast, I'd use ISO 400 on the P30+ without much reservation.  In the attached shot, there's a bit of noise visible in the shadows, but it seems minimal and not really an issue for most shooting.

No flash or reflectors, just natural light.  (This shot could have used a bit of a reflector from below to lighten up the darkness udner the eyes.  But I can fix it in post.).

Conclusion: if someone doesn't buy this from me soon, I'm keeping it.   

(Sorry about the large image size, but I though people would prefer to see a large image).

And yeah, I kind of think she looks like Angelina Jolie.  If you can afford a MF digital back, she's too young for you.  :-)  (And me too).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you can't photograph young girls without attatching jokey sexual conotations your probably best off not shooting young girls.

eronald

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 06:25:37 pm »

Back to topic  - does anyone else here have some P30+imagery ?

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:29:35 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 06:29:04 pm »

Gee, thanks for the advice.  I'll take your wisdom to heart.

Please check your spelling ("you're" not "your") before being snotty in the future.

If you can't photograph young girls without attatching jokey sexual conotations your probably best off not shooting young girls.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:32:11 pm by william »

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 06:31:36 pm »

Please note that in light of the continuous stream of snotty comments, I've deleted my post above.  It was intended to let you draw your own conclusions; I don't have the time or inclination to be the P30+ whipping boy, so I deleted the post.

Feel free to carry on.

ixpressraf

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 06:38:47 pm »

Sorry William, this was never my intention but i just expressed the things i could see.
Succes in selling your p30+back but perhaps it is better to reconsidder it because no Canon will ever match the quality of the digital back.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:42:48 pm by ixpressraf »

hubell

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:53:13 pm »

Please note that in light of the continuous stream of snotty comments, I've deleted my post above.  It was intended to let you draw your own conclusions; I don't have the time or inclination to be the P30+ whipping boy, so I deleted the post.

Feel free to carry on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may want to reconsider your pricing on the P30+ if you don't get bites at $20,000 as there are P45+ backs being sold NEW in the US for $22K.

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 07:00:44 pm »

Hm.  Thanks, I didn't know that.  For reference, would you be willing to post links to or names of dealers selling at that price?

You may want to reconsider your pricing on the P30+ if you don't get bites at $20,000 as there are P45+ backs being sold NEW in the US for $22K.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

awofinden

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 08:00:30 pm »

Gee, thanks for the advice.  I'll take your wisdom to heart.

Please check your spelling ("you're" not "your") before being snotty in the future.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the spelling help although the spelling of your or you're seems besides the point. I do think that you do have a certain responsability when your working with young girls, or young boys for that matter. One of those responsibilities is not making jokey sexual inuendoes about them on the internet after you've taken there picture. The undertones of your comment are quite unpleasant when you think about what it really means.

eronald

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 08:12:25 pm »

Thanks for the spelling help although the spelling of your or you're seems besides the point. I do think that you do have a certain responsability when your working with young girls, or young boys for that matter. One of those responsibilities is not making jokey sexual inuendoes about them on the internet after you've taken there picture. The undertones of your comment are quite unpleasant when you think about what it really means.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, could you people behave like adults ?

Can we please get back to technical topics ? Could you inform each other by PM of your respective opinions ?

I requested some technical info or images and I know that threads which get sidejacked like this end junked and locked.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:13:43 pm by eronald »

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »

Let me explain this clearly: the girl that was in the photo in the post I deleted is very much of legal age.  She is "young," but not a minor.  The two terms ("young" and "minor") are not equivalent.  Some young people are minors, some "young" people are just young in relative terms.  So if that's your problem, you're off base.  In other words, you may not have found my little aside to be funny but that doesn't make me a pedophile.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hubell

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 08:19:09 pm »

Hm.  Thanks, I didn't know that.  For reference, would you be willing to post links to or names of dealers selling at that price?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No dealer will ever acknowledge this type of pricing. The only way you get it is in the context of a real purchase negotiation where Phase and certain of its dealers are willing to pull out all of the stops to offer a deal that is at least the equal of what you can you can get on an H3D. Trust me, there is no cartel in play here on pricing among the makers of MFDBs. The pricing competition behind the scenes is very intense, and Phase probably leads the pack in pricing aggressiveness. Even in the US, some people are paying close to the list prices that Phase is charging and others are paying WAY less. Why? Who knows? Everyone here can say what they want about Hasselblad, but at least everyone has access to their aggressive rebate deals. Oh, and BTW, the best Phase prices are not from the marginal dealers who offer no service.

william

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 08:28:36 pm »

Well.....I'm sure you have a valid point.  But if dealers aren't forthcoming with that information, it's difficult for someone selling a used back (not just me, anyone) so set a price with reference to that (non-existent) information.  Not your fault, obviously, and I appreciate the info.  But it would be nice to be able to get some kind of indepedent confirmation of dealer pricing so far below the list prices.  Not just for me, mind you; I'd think people in the market for a new back would also like to know what the real price is!

No dealer will ever acknowledge this type of pricing. The only way you get it is in the context of a real purchase negotiation where Phase and certain of its dealers are willing to pull out all of the stops to offer a deal that is at least the equal of what you can you can get on an H3D. Trust me, there is no cartel in play here on pricing among the makers of MFDBs. The pricing competition behind the scenes is very intense, and Phase probably leads the pack in pricing aggressiveness. Even in the US, some people are paying close to the list prices that Phase is charging and others are paying WAY less. Why? Who knows? Everyone here can say what they want about Hasselblad, but at least everyone has access to their aggressive rebate deals. Oh, and BTW, the best Phase prices are not from the marginal dealers who offer no service.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 08:32:15 pm »

The pricing competition behind the scenes is very intense, and Phase probably leads the pack in pricing aggressiveness. Even in the US, some people are paying close to the list prices that Phase is charging and others are paying WAY less. Why? Who knows? Everyone here can say what they want about Hasselblad, but at least everyone has access to their aggressive rebate deals. Oh, and BTW, the best Phase prices are not from the marginal dealers who offer no service.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This reminds me of the souks in the Southern suburbs of Tunis, and it speaks tons about the kind of margins MFDBs are having.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 08:42:49 pm »

This reminds me of the souks in the Southern suburbs of Tunis, and it speaks tons about the kind of margins MFDBs are having.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernard, who are the pro digital MF dealers in Tokyo ? I love Yodobashi, but they don't seem to be doing digital MF. I speak/read Japanese.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:43:20 pm by eronald »

awofinden

P30+ back reports ?
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 09:20:28 pm »

Let me explain this clearly: the girl that was in the photo in the post I deleted is very much of legal age.  She is "young," but not a minor.  The two terms ("young" and "minor") are not equivalent.  Some young people are minors, some "young" people are just young in relative terms.  So if that's your problem, you're off base.  In other words, you may not have found my little aside to be funny but that doesn't make me a pedophile.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did she consent to you and strangers sexualising her in that way on an internet forum? Sorry if you dont like this edmund but I think it is important.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up