Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced B&W Trouble - Epson r2400  (Read 4091 times)

HickersonJasonC

Advanced B&W Trouble - Epson r2400
« on: June 16, 2007, 01:51:35 am »

I just received a box of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and have spent the evening trying to get a great print from an image I've had success with on other papers.

I'm getting good results with the paper (after quite a bit of tweaking Hahnemuhle's icc profile for this paper) but unfortunately, I am not able to use the Advanced B&W mode while Velvet Fine Art paper is selected in the Epson Driver window. I've checked the printer manual and Velvet Fine Art is listed as one of the papers that supports Advanced B&W, though it's not "recommended." And while selecting "premium luster" as the paper type allows ABW to enable, I don't think this setting is optimal for Photo Rag Pearl at 320gsm.

Any ideas why using this paper type might cause ABW mode to disable? Is it possibly because I'm using PK ink? I'm using PS CS3 on a PC, but CS2 is showing the same problem. Color management set to Photoshop, Printer, or No Color Management makes no difference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:01:14 am »

I just received a box of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and have spent the evening trying to get a great print from an image I've had success with on other papers.

I'm getting good results with the paper (after quite a bit of tweaking Hahnemuhle's icc profile for this paper) but unfortunately, I am not able to use the Advanced B&W mode while Velvet Fine Art paper is selected in the Epson Driver window. I've checked the printer manual and Velvet Fine Art is listed as one of the papers that supports Advanced B&W, though it's not "recommended." And while selecting "premium luster" as the paper type allows ABW to enable, I don't think this setting is optimal for Photo Rag Pearl at 320gsm.

Any ideas why using this paper type might cause ABW mode to disable? Is it possibly because I'm using PK ink? I'm using PS CS3 on a PC, but CS2 is showing the same problem. Color management set to Photoshop, Printer, or No Color Management makes no difference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not exactly sure, as I have a 4800, but isn't Velvet FA a matte paper(MK ink)?  Your using PK, the epson driver "sees" the PK in your 2400(gotta love those chipped carts)and therefore won't show papers for MK.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:17:14 pm »

Not exactly sure, as I have a 4800, but isn't Velvet FA a matte paper(MK ink)?  Your using PK, the epson driver "sees" the PK in your 2400(gotta love those chipped carts)and therefore won't show papers for MK.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I think that's it, Keith. Unfortunately, Epson doesn't sell a PK paper like Photo Rag Pearl, and since they only allow the user to select Epson brand paper settings (take that, loyal customer), there is no PK alternative for a paper this thick.

I'm experimenting now with using the Premium Photo Luster and Glossy settings and increasing the ink density in the driver - although it's expensive trial and error at $1.62 per page (8.5x11). Any ideas on what an appropriate ink density setting might be for this paper using Premium Glossy or Premium Luster as paper type?

BTW, it is possible to manually override the PK/MK ink in the driver. However, the driver then resets this before the print is made.    I'm about to love my chipped PK cart right into the trash can.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:43:15 pm »

Do you have PK or MK installed in your R2400? You should be using Photo Black for Photo Rag Pearl.

I recommend that you use either the Premium Semi-Gloss or Premium Luster Media Types for HPR Pearl.

Make sure to feed it manually via the single sheet guide (not via the auto sheet feeder). I assume you're doing so already.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up