Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens choice for Hasselblad System  (Read 5925 times)

Arminw

• http://www.arminweisheit.com
Lens choice for Hasselblad System
« on: June 16, 2007, 01:33:23 am »

Hello to everybody ! My name is Armin and I am from London UK. This is my first post here on this forum and I hope some of you could help me out on making a decision on what sort of lens I should go for for my fist move into Medium Format Hasselblad H3D .
I would like to have a lens that covers full length and portraiture for fashion shoots. I looked at the 50-110 zoom , but god it is heavy and I don't know how you guys can hold it mobile for the duration of a shoot.
What other options do I have and what other Hasselblad lens is really good for that sort of work ?

Thanks for all your feedback .
Armin
You can't depend on your eyes when your

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:38:25 am »

I use the H2 and leaf aptus 65.  The zoom is a great optic and I really love it. I agree it is heavy and not for handholding.... although I have... For portraits, the 100mm 2.2 is a great choice.  Optically good, fast, light weight, good bokeh.

Hello to everybody ! My name is Armin and I am from London UK. This is my first post here on this forum and I hope some of you could help me out on making a decision on what sort of lens I should go for for my fist move into Medium Format Hasselblad H3D .
I would like to have a lens that covers full length and portraiture for fashion shoots. I looked at the 50-110 zoom , but god it is heavy and I don't know how you guys can hold it mobile for the duration of a shoot.
What other options do I have and what other Hasselblad lens is really good for that sort of work ?

Armin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David WM

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 04:01:19 am »

One thing quite a few users of MFDB have noted is their unforgiving nature when it comes to focusing, or missing focus, so I don't think its just me. I chose the 120 Macro (F4.0) for my mid range lens because I do a fair bit of close up work. The draw back is that its not  as bright as the 150 (F3.2) orthe 100 (F2.2). I find when shooting people in the studio (using soft boxes and focusing using whats available from modeling lights) its hard to pick focus quickly, like you'll be wanting to do with fashion. The Zoom isn't as bright as the primes, so if your thing is fashion I'd be looking at the 100 and 150.

David

Armin

Arminw

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 04:27:17 am »

Thanks for the input so far !

I was also thinking about the 100mm and then I wondered if I would need anything wider as well ??
Sorry guys it's all a bit boring but I am sure all of you who read this thread had to go through the same mind puzzling  decisions at some point.

Armin

zekai

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 04:41:34 am »

Thanks for the input so far !

I was also thinking about the 100mm and then I wondered if I would need anything wider as well ??
Sorry guys it's all a bit boring but I am sure all of you who read this thread had to go through the same mind puzzling  decisions at some point.

Armin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

recommend 50mm for full length shot, 120mm for close up and half body & 180mm for close up face shot.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:36:33 am »

I compared the 120mm macro (a lens I  truly love) and  when i shoot anything  over 5 or 6 feel away, the 100 becomes superior in regards to image sharpness.  Another thing I found is that with the 1.7x converter the 100+1.7 is about as good as the 150mm prime.  The 50mm prime and 300mm prime are the only two lenses I have never used.

recommend 50mm for full length shot, 120mm for close up and half body & 180mm for close up face shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Arminw

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 08:19:33 am »

It's been sometime since i started this topic , but finally I took delivery of my new H3DII 39 with the  50 - 110 zoom and the 100 f2.2... so far I think I am sorted, but wonder what the next one should be ... I definitely think the macro 120 would be a good joyce as some of you can confirm , but also wonder of a wider one ... 35 or 28 mm ? Which one would be the better one ... ?

I hope this threat becomes a bit of a lens owners review ... would be nice to see image samples as well .

All the best from London

Armin

Khun_K

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 08:31:31 am »

Armin
I believe the 50-110 is a good start, but it has 2 f value, so when you zoom in and out there will be slight effect on studio lighting value.  The 100/2.2 is a very good one, much lighter and brighter, and very sharp, the light weight and compact size allow location work a lot easier as well as moving closer and away from object conveniently.  But as a professional, even the H3D39 and the 50-100mm together, and when I use in location I sometimes put on a bron-color ring flash, the weight is a challenge, but you have to get use to if you want to stay in business. The 120/4 makro is a very good lens for head+shoulder, and for the really close up shots.  over 120mm, I simply use them very rarely.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:55 am »

Armin

My essential basic kit is 50 80 1.7 converter - good value

I also have the 35 but dont really use it

Given a higher budget I would get some longer glass

the 100 is probably more conventnional tool for full lenght than the 80 - I like the intamacy of the 80 and use with the 1.7 for half lenght and headshots

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »

I use the 35,50,80,100,150,210,300 & the 50-110. Of all of these the 100 would be my favorite for full length if I have enough room to move. I found the 100 is a tad  better than the zoom. The zoom is horribly heavy but it is so versatile it has become my most used lens (also hand-held).

I use the 35 quite often as well but found it needs to be stopped down to really deliver.

The 150 is good but less than the 100 or the zoom. It does have the fastest AF of all HC lenses.

The 80 I find good but frankly a bit disappointing.

The 50 I only have for a couple of weeks, sofar it is really nice. Has a fast AF.

The 210 is an excellent lens and makes a nice combo with extention rings.

The 300 is a wonderful lens but I wished I would have more use for it.

Again the zoom is my most used. Especially together with extention rings.

For portraiture I would have the 100 at the top of my list. If working in smaller places the 50 would come in second. I would skip the 80.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:12 pm »

I hope this threat becomes a bit of a lens owners review ... would be nice to see image samples as well .

All the best from London

Armin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most of my website is HC lens shots since 2005. If you want specifics, email me personally. I have every lens except the 100mm. Most are film, but now I use the H3DII39. I agree with Dustbak. Good luck and enjoy your H, make some great shots!

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »

same with my website, but also check out recent work thread.
I use 75% 35mm  25% 50-100mm
Would use more lenses if I had the need for it, but as it is my bag is already heavy
enough.
cheers
m*

Khun_K

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:26:44 am »

I use the 35,50,80,100,150,210,300 & the 50-110. Of all of these the 100 would be my favorite for full length if I have enough room to move. I found the 100 is a tad  better than the zoom. The zoom is horribly heavy but it is so versatile it has become my most used lens (also hand-held).

I use the 35 quite often as well but found it needs to be stopped down to really deliver.

The 150 is good but less than the 100 or the zoom. It does have the fastest AF of all HC lenses.

The 80 I find good but frankly a bit disappointing.

The 50 I only have for a couple of weeks, sofar it is really nice. Has a fast AF.

The 210 is an excellent lens and makes a nice combo with extention rings.

The 300 is a wonderful lens but I wished I would have more use for it.

Again the zoom is my most used. Especially together with extention rings.

For portraiture I would have the 100 at the top of my list. If working in smaller places the 50 would come in second. I would skip the 80.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have all the lenses from 28mm to 150mm, but don't have the 210 and 300 because I use other system for tele shot.  Just one question, why don't you use the 120 makro?  I found to be a very good lens as well.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 07:33:49 am »

I know. The 120macro would probably one of the best options for the stuff I do. To be frank there is no particular reason I haven't bought this one yet.

I have bought all my lenses second hand, the 120 doesn't come available very often which might account for one part. I plan on not buying the lenses new. Of all the lenses I have bought only the HC100 had about 10K of shots which I regard as nothing. All others had significantly less, some like the 300 & 210 had less than 500 shots on the counter. No need to buy new if you can get them almost new for halve the price.

At this moment I don't have the 28 or the 120. I will get them both because I know I could put them both to good use. (for the 28 I would need to get a H2F).
Pages: [1]   Go Up