Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Monitor Question  (Read 4734 times)

One Frame at a Time

NEC Monitor Question
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:52:42 am »

I am going to a larger monitor.  I am confused by some of the NEC descriptions on their web site.  It seems to make sense to buy their extended gammut lcd's.  I am supposing that this it what is meant by "12 bit LUT".  It is on several of their displays.  Some have the SV (Sectra View), one or two have the 12 bit LUT but not SV.

I have a 1 eye Display 2, already but wonder if it will calibrate so as to make use of the 12 bit LUT?  Or, do I need to buy the SV displays to take advantage of the wide gammut?  Any feed back would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:04:19 pm by One Frame at a Time »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:47:27 pm »

Part of the answer to this question depends, oddly enough, on whether you're in the US, Europe, or elsewhere.  If you're in the US, then you can buy a non-SV version of the monitor and either use your Display 2 with the Eye One Match software, which (at least in versions 3.6 and higher) will profile it nicely in DDC-CI mode (with an appropriate video card) but won't hardware calibrate it, or buy the NEC Spectraview II software separately and use it with your Display 2 to both profile and calibrate the monitor.  I recommend the latter as the software is really nice and produces great results, but you can do just fine with the Eye One software.  The US SV versions simply bundle the Spectraview II software and a Display 2 puck with the monitor, so that's the way to go if you don't already have a compatible puck.

In Europe the story is different.  Apparently NEC Europe disables the use of their Spectraview software (which is different from the US Spectraview software) on non-Spectraview versions of the monitors.  Don't ask me why; I'm sure it seems like a good idea to them.  I also don't know whether the US Spectraview II software will work on an EU-spec monitor.

And in the rest of the world, I have no idea what the answer is.

BTW, this is the current xx90uxi line we're talking about — the 2090uxi (which I have and love), 2190uxi, 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi.  The last of those is rated to cover 92% of the Adobe RGB gamut; the others less but they're still excellent.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:48:52 pm by Nill Toulme »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 03:07:41 pm »

Part of the answer to this question depends, oddly enough, on whether you're in the US, Europe, or elsewhere.  If you're in the US, then you can buy a non-SV version of the monitor and either use your Display 2 with the Eye One Match software, which (at least in versions 3.6 and higher) will profile it nicely in DDC-CI mode (with an appropriate video card) but won't hardware calibrate it, or buy the NEC Spectraview II software separately and use it with your Display 2 to both profile and calibrate the monitor.  I recommend the latter as the software is really nice and produces great results, but you can do just fine with the Eye One software.  The US SV versions simply bundle the Spectraview II software and a Display 2 puck with the monitor, so that's the way to go if you don't already have a compatible puck.

In Europe the story is different.  Apparently NEC Europe disables the use of their Spectraview software (which is different from the US Spectraview software) on non-Spectraview versions of the monitors.  Don't ask me why; I'm sure it seems like a good idea to them.  I also don't know whether the US Spectraview II software will work on an EU-spec monitor.

BTW, this is the current xx90uxi line we're talking about — the 2090uxi (which I have and love), 2190uxi, 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi.  The last of those is rated to cover 92% of the Adobe RGB gamut; the others less but they're still excellent.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nill, I have the NEC 2690 and SVII - and am thinking of getting a notebook - it sounds like I can use the puck and software on the notebook as well?

Nill Toulme

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:12:30 pm »

Nill, I have the NEC 2690 and SVII - and am thinking of getting a notebook - it sounds like I can use the puck and software on the notebook as well?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm reasonably sure you can use the Display 2 puck and Eye One software on your laptop.  You won't be able to use the NEC software on it, of course, unless you're running the NEC as an external monitor on it, and probably not even then because I bet the laptop's display adapter isn't compatible with it.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

One Frame at a Time

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:33:56 pm »

Part of the answer to this question depends, oddly enough, on whether you're in the US, Europe, or elsewhere.  If you're in the US, then you can buy a non-SV version of the monitor and either use your Display 2 with the Eye One Match software, which (at least in versions 3.6 and higher) will profile it nicely in DDC-CI mode (with an appropriate video card) but won't hardware calibrate it, or buy the NEC Spectraview II software separately and use it with your Display 2 to both profile and calibrate the monitor.  I recommend the latter as the software is really nice and produces great results, but you can do just fine with the Eye One software.  The US SV versions simply bundle the Spectraview II software and a Display 2 puck with the monitor, so that's the way to go if you don't already have a compatible puck.

In Europe the story is different.  Apparently NEC Europe disables the use of their Spectraview software (which is different from the US Spectraview software) on non-Spectraview versions of the monitors.  Don't ask me why; I'm sure it seems like a good idea to them.  I also don't know whether the US Spectraview II software will work on an EU-spec monitor.

BTW, this is the current xx90uxi line we're talking about — the 2090uxi (which I have and love), 2190uxi, 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi.  The last of those is rated to cover 92% of the Adobe RGB gamut; the others less but they're still excellent.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nill,

Thanks!  Strange they handle it like that.  Where do I find the SV software as a stand alone??

Nill Toulme

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 06:23:36 pm »

Direct from NEC here.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:24:01 pm by Nill Toulme »

One Frame at a Time

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:18:57 pm »

Direct from NEC here.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Nill,

The price is crazy.  Would be less to buy the whole bundle that includes the puck.

Best,

P

Carol

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 04:41:13 am »

Thanks Nill,

The price is crazy.  Would be less to buy the whole bundle that includes the puck.
Best,

P
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have a look at [a href=\"http://www.colorsolutions.de/english/index_E.htm]BasICColor Display 4[/url] then.  The Spectraview software is an OEM version of this software.  The BasICColor software retails at 100 Euros (around $133)
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

Nill Toulme

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:42:30 am »

I think perhaps PC Connection also had it — maybe less dear there.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

tived

• http://
NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:15:41 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim,

is the NEC software doesn't work, you can download the software from Gretag, by registering you email. I have done so with my Blue Eye (which is a rebatch iOneII)

regards

Henrik

One Frame at a Time

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 03:15:05 pm »

Does anyone know the status of the 30" Samsung panel that was announced but not in circulation yet?  Sounds like it will use LED back lighting and be higher resolution.  If its just around the corner I may hold off for a bit.  My current monitor is small 19" but still gives good color and is stable at this point.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:15:30 pm by One Frame at a Time »

mwerbe

NEC Monitor Question
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:22 pm »

Does anyone know the status of the 30" Samsung panel that was announced but not in circulation yet?  Sounds like it will use LED back lighting and be higher resolution.  If its just around the corner I may hold off for a bit.  My current monitor is small 19" but still gives good color and is stable at this point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All I could find on Samsungs's Website for new Led monitors was a 40" TV. I know the 20" LED is available, but I haven't seen it in person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up