Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blurry imace follow-up  (Read 4041 times)

wmchauncey

Blurry imace follow-up
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:04:03 am »

You may remember my complaint about RAW shooting a cell tower 1/2 mile away and getting blurry images, esp. at 100% in ACR using cheap Sigma glass.  Well, I repeated the experiment using a Canon 17-85 f/4-5.5 IS on my Rebel xti.  It was like the lights were turned on.  Throughout the setting range, the Canon stayed clear to well over 100%.  Pixelating, that had occured at 200% with the Sigma, didn't occur until 400% with the Canon glass.

Can this problem be fixed except by pouring more dollars into the glass,  I'm trying to avoid buying the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS as well as the one listed above?
The things you do for yourself die with

kal

• http://fotonordest.blogspot.com
Blurry imace follow-up
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:38:01 am »

You may remember my complaint about RAW shooting a cell tower 1/2 mile away and getting blurry images, esp. at 100% in ACR using cheap Sigma glass.  Well, I repeated the experiment using a Canon 17-85 f/4-5.5 IS on my Rebel xti.  It was like the lights were turned on.  Throughout the setting range, the Canon stayed clear to well over 100%.  Pixelating, that had occured at 200% with the Sigma, didn't occur until 400% with the Canon glass.

Can this problem be fixed except by pouring more dollars into the glass,  I'm trying to avoid buying the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS as well as the one listed above?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you could buy second-hand glass... or you could stop looking at your photos at 400%. Assuming your monitor is capable of 96dpi, a 400% zoom is like looking at a 24dpi print. Assuming you use the full 3888x2592 resolution your camera is capable of, this means making a 4x2.7m print... are you really going that large?

(sort-of joking, I'm really happy I've spent quite a lot of euros on good Canon glass)
Piero
[url=http://fotonordest.blogspot.c

DarkPenguin

Blurry imace follow-up
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:26:33 am »

Are you sure it isn't the IS that's saving you?

Oh, and almost all lenses have an operating window where they are very good.  Even cheap ones.  (The Canon 18-55 is nice from f8-f11 as you get closer to 55mm.)  The window may be small but if you find that window and can stick to using it.....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:29:27 am by DarkPenguin »

wmchauncey

Blurry imace follow-up
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:13:42 pm »

Are you sure it isn't the IS that's saving you?

Oh, and almost all lenses have an operating window where they are very good.  Even cheap ones.  (The Canon 18-55 is nice from f8-f11 as you get closer to 55mm.)  The window may be small but if you find that window and can stick to using it.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

wmchauncey

Blurry imace follow-up
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:08 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
oops
Tripod used in all tests-I raise the magnification to see how much cropping I can get away with as well as checking glass quality
Pages: [1]   Go Up