Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FlexColor 4.7 Released  (Read 14888 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 05:43:58 pm »

If it is a .fff file you do not need to import it, just target it in the Thumbnails window (Window>Thumbnails).

But,if it is a 3FR file then it has to be 'imported'   even though the files already reside on
your computer  When you have Flexcolor running you go to  Window > Import and locate
the file/files you want to 'import'.   This import process decompresses the 3Fr format to
a .fff file which can then be viewed in the Thumbnails window as was outlined above

MT

josayeruk

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 07:36:56 pm »

Deleted!

(Got my threads mixed up!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 07:40:42 pm by josayeruk »

blacksun

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 07:28:45 am »

Thanks to the several who have read carefully the specific issues with Flexcolor 4.7 I posted and responded either personally via email or by calling the studio - most helpful.  Unfortunately, the majority of the folks who have responded in this blog don't "get it" and have gone in a direction that is not helpful to this issue or for further tech resolution posts.  For that I am disappointed. But I wish you all well nonetheless.  Thank you.
find me here:
 [url=http://www.michaelbla

Weldon Brewster

• http://www.weldonbrewster.com
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 10:50:43 am »

I'm sorry that you are having trouble Michael, that is extremely frustrating.  I shoot interiors and exteriors too,  I've been using 4.7 since it came out with no problems.  I shoot tethered to a MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram.  I suspect you have a multi part problem with: 4.7, too little ram and something else.

I suggest two things:  Joining the flexframe yahoo group and posting this over there.  Those guys are much better at application specific problems (everyone uses flexcolor all day every day.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flexframe/messages

Second thing:  I would bug the living $!@! out of hasselblad support.  I've had some real problems getting them to respond to any type of problem but you may have better luck.

support@hasselbladusa.com

Good Luck,
Weldon
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com

josayeruk

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 07:57:27 pm »

Thanks to the several who have read carefully the specific issues with Flexcolor 4.7 I posted and responded either personally via email or by calling the studio - most helpful.  Unfortunately, the majority of the folks who have responded in this blog don't "get it" and have gone in a direction that is not helpful to this issue or for further tech resolution posts.  For that I am disappointed. But I wish you all well nonetheless.  Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think we're only trying to help.

The only think I 'get' is that your machine is underpowered for your big 39MP back.

Jo S.x

Barry Goyette

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »

Unfortunately, Joseyaruk is absolutely correct in this matter. When I read your post last week, I immediately was going to respond the same way, but as someone already had, I didn't feel it was necessary.

I remember the day when the Hasselblad rep first demoed the Ixpress 132C at my studio a few years back. He called to ask what I had for a machine...I said don't worry...I've got plenty of power, and I've been running flexcolor for years on my imacon scanner. When he showed up and saw my dual processer g4...he laughed and went out to his car to grab the G5 he brought with him (they were pretty new at the time). "The software doesn't really run on the g4 ", he said.

After about a week with the Ixpress, and struggling in a way I hadn't expected with the software...I plunked down another chunk of change for a new g5. All has been well for several years now.

I'm currently upgrading to the H3d-31. And from what I can see, flexcolor is running about 1/3 to 1/2 the speed with the new larger files...add all the DAC stuff and your looking at 2-3 minutes to process an image. (this is what the dual g4 was doing with the 22mp files way back when). I took the software and files down to our local mac store and it ran surprisingly well on the MacBook pro. (and about the same on the quad).

On my 1.67 g4 laptop with 2 gigs I have had regular crashes after a certain # of images have been loaded with the 22mp. I woulldn't even dare to use it with the 31, much less with the 39...and certainly not with camera control enabled (this has always been notoriously buggy).

Your system is simply not up to the task, and therefore it's crashing. Flexcolor puts a lot of demands on Quicktime, Even on the g5, I have to watch it when opening iView (another QT hog) and Flexcolor...as sooner or later, one or the other will bring the whole system down....(Dual 1.8 g5 with 4 gigs of ram).

By the way...the person to talk software with at Hasselblad is Per Holk. He's in Redmond, and He's been answering Flexcolor questions for me since it was ColorFlex (the original imacon scanner software).

Barry Goyette

blacksun

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 07:01:14 pm »

A G4 Powerbook is more than an adequate tool to use in the process of making captures with a Hasselblad H camera or any view camera with a 39 MP back (or smaller) attached while using Flexcolor 4.7 software.   A G4 laptop in this scenario is similar to an imagebank, except that it has many additional advantages including but not limited to:

â€¢ up to a 17 inch preview or "Polaroid" (if you will) on-hand
   â€¢ allows the user to run Flexcolor to control a tethered digital back from the laptop
   â€¢ allows the use of all other OS X software
   â€¢ allows for very easy back-up to local drives or non-local drives

Hasselblad will agree that there is nothing listed their in read me files or any other published documents that requires the users of their backs and camera to use a macbook pro.  Additionally, after resolving the firmware upgrade glitch (yes, there is a glitch in the firmware upgrade that may happen in certain environments and is fixable) that I encountered, Flexcolor 4.7 does in deed work quite well on a G4 laptop for capture.  Processing raw files is another issue all together and due to processor speed among other constraints will be choked to a crawl, but that has never been presented as the issue in this thread.  

Furthermore, for those contributing to this specific thread/conversation on this list who are adamant that pros or amateurs need to purchase the macbook pro less they can not use their medium format backs are doing a great disservice to the photographic community.  These are knee jerk and ill conceived comments that have no grounds of technological merit.  They suggest not solutions to software/hardware compatibility but encourage equipment wastefulness and unnecessary expenses.  Furthermore talk without solid technical evidence takes both software and hardware developers off the hook for designing and delivering compatible products and allows for open table blame to be placed by either thus leaving  end users in the cold.  Please, I know this might offend some, but if you can put your allegiances toward you beloved hardware/software down for a moment and join a conversation of resolution and progress your input might be appreciated.  Yes feel free to lash at me all you wish, but before you do ask yourselves ... "Am I contributing to a solution?"
find me here:
 [url=http://www.michaelbla

Khun_K

• http://
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 05:55:43 am »

A G4 Powerbook is more than an adequate tool to use in the process of making captures with a Hasselblad H camera or any view camera with a 39 MP back (or smaller) attached while using Flexcolor 4.7 software.   A G4 laptop in this scenario is similar to an imagebank, except that it has many additional advantages including but not limited to:

â€¢ up to a 17 inch preview or "Polaroid" (if you will) on-hand
   â€¢ allows the user to run Flexcolor to control a tethered digital back from the laptop
   â€¢ allows the use of all other OS X software
   â€¢ allows for very easy back-up to local drives or non-local drives

Hasselblad will agree that there is nothing listed their in read me files or any other published documents that requires the users of their backs and camera to use a macbook pro.  Additionally, after resolving the firmware upgrade glitch (yes, there is a glitch in the firmware upgrade that may happen in certain environments and is fixable) that I encountered, Flexcolor 4.7 does in deed work quite well on a G4 laptop for capture.  Processing raw files is another issue all together and due to processor speed among other constraints will be choked to a crawl, but that has never been presented as the issue in this thread. 

Furthermore, for those contributing to this specific thread/conversation on this list who are adamant that pros or amateurs need to purchase the macbook pro less they can not use their medium format backs are doing a great disservice to the photographic community.  These are knee jerk and ill conceived comments that have no grounds of technological merit.  They suggest not solutions to software/hardware compatibility but encourage equipment wastefulness and unnecessary expenses.  Furthermore talk without solid technical evidence takes both software and hardware developers off the hook for designing and delivering compatible products and allows for open table blame to be placed by either thus leaving  end users in the cold.  Please, I know this might offend some, but if you can put your allegiances toward you beloved hardware/software down for a moment and join a conversation of resolution and progress your input might be appreciated.  Yes feel free to lash at me all you wish, but before you do ask yourselves ... "Am I contributing to a solution?"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If speed is an issue, using the G4 laptop (which sometimes I use) will be an issue, it is really slow if compared to the newer Macbook Pro. For stills, may be it is OK, because there is time to wait for the rendering pop on the screen but if the shooting involved a talent then you pretty much lost the spontaenous. The G4 is a good machine and still can deliver, except slower. I use both P45 and H3D39, with the C1 visibly faster, even compare to Flexcolor 3.7.1 just release 2 days ago. Location shoot, speed is mattered, especailly when using battery power, you would need a faster machine if you can afford, but, a G4 Powerbook is still capable of deliver almost everything but quite slower.

Barry Goyette

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 02:24:49 pm »

A G4 Powerbook is more than an adequate tool to use in the process of making captures with a Hasselblad H camera or any view camera with a 39 MP back (or smaller) attached while using Flexcolor 4.7 software. 

Furthermore, for those contributing to this specific thread/conversation on this list who are adamant that pros or amateurs need to purchase the macbook pro less they can not use their medium format backs are doing a great disservice to the photographic community.  These are knee jerk and ill conceived comments that have no grounds of technological merit.  They suggest not solutions to software/hardware compatibility but encourage equipment wastefulness and unnecessary expenses. 

.... Yes feel free to lash at me all you wish, but before you do ask yourselves ... "Am I contributing to a solution?"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will say that the only person who seems to be "lashing out" is you.

The purpose of a user forum is for users to share their experiences in the hope of diseminating good information. Several of us have, in the hopes of helping you solve your problem. You do a disservice to the forum when you criticize people for trying to help. You disagree with us. Fine. You solved your problem on your own. Fine. You have a solution that works for you. We have one that works for us. Fine. That is all that needs to be said.

For the record, many of my friends consider me to be measured, thoughtful, deliberate and thorough in my research of many subjects. Kneejerk and Ill-conceived are not words they would associate with me, and in my oh so humble opinion, the powerbook g4 with 1 gig of ram is a barely adequate computer for use with the h3d-39.

Barry

"Never miss a good opportunity to shut up"  -- Mark Twain

Dinarius

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28:19 am »

I am about to order a Hasselblad back.

My dealer gave me a CD containing FlexColor 4.7 and a few files to play with.

My bread and butter is fine art documentation for catalogue and I am used to ACR4. I use a Gretag CC and a basICColor grey card in just about every single shot I take.

Using the HSL feature in ACR4 (coupled with the nine sample color sampler) I can match eight of the Gretag's colour patches to exact RGB values. I can set overall color balance and gamma using the basICColor card. All in about 10 minutes.

This gives me color accuracy unmatched in film.

Having played with FlexColor for the last few days, I can't see how I can achieve the same thing using it. Can I?

Will I have to convert everything to DNG? Am I losing anything in doing so? And why does it have to be that way anyway?

Thanks.

D.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 04:35:37 am »

I am about to order a Hasselblad back.

My dealer gave me a CD containing FlexColor 4.7 and a few files to play with.

My bread and butter is fine art documentation for catalogue and I am used to ACR4. I use a Gretag CC and a basICColor grey card in just about every single shot I take.

Using the HSL feature in ACR4 (coupled with the nine sample color sampler) I can match eight of the Gretag's colour patches to exact RGB values. I can set overall color balance and gamma using the basICColor card. All in about 10 minutes.

This gives me color accuracy unmatched in film.

Having played with FlexColor for the last few days, I can't see how I can achieve the same thing using it. Can I?

Will I have to convert everything to DNG? Am I losing anything in doing so? And why does it have to be that way anyway?

Thanks.

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I understood, Hasselblad is not sharing the spec's of its file format making it very difficult for 3rd party raw converters to develop for the 3FR file format.

It would be very welcome if it could be processed in other raw converters as well giving users options.

I use Leaf files at the moment while I capture in the Leaf software I am very glad there are other converters I can use  as well.

It would be a wise move of Hasselblad to share their raw file spec's. It would make their backs more valuable to users instead of less.

So, yes you have to use Flex first converting to DNG after which you can use your trusted workflow.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:36:45 am by Dustbak »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:42 pm »

As far as I understood, Hasselblad is not sharing the spec's of its file format making it very difficult for 3rd party raw converters to develop for the 3FR file format.

It would be very welcome if it could be processed in other raw converters as well giving users options.

I use Leaf files at the moment while I capture in the Leaf software I am very glad there are other converters I can use  as well.

It would be a wise move of Hasselblad to share their raw file spec's. It would make their backs more valuable to users instead of less.

So, yes you have to use Flex first converting to DNG after which you can use your trusted workflow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not correct. Hasselblad has worked in the past with Adobe on the DNG spec and I believe they are currently working with them on native conversion from .fff into ACR/Lightroom.  Also, I believe you can open up .fff files natively in Raw Developer, an excellent program for raw conversion. Generally, unless they have a commercial application for use with other cameras , like C1, all of the digital back manufacturers have a cooperative stance with regard to 3rd party software raw converters. And even Phase One has been more cooperative recently with Lightroom, for example. It's in all of their interest to do so.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Dinarius

FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 01:08:10 pm »

Hasselblad has worked in the past with Adobe on the DNG spec and I believe they are currently working with them on native conversion from .fff into ACR/Lightroom. 
Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Music to my ears and thanks for the input!

D.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 02:26:19 pm »

This is not correct. Hasselblad has worked in the past with Adobe on the DNG spec and I believe they are currently working with them on native conversion from .fff into ACR/Lightroom.  Also, I believe you can open up .fff files natively in Raw Developer, an excellent program for raw conversion. Generally, unless they have a commercial application for use with other cameras , like C1, all of the digital back manufacturers have a cooperative stance with regard to 3rd party software raw converters. And even Phase One has been more cooperative recently with Lightroom, for example. It's in all of their interest to do so.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is what I was thinking as well (that it is in their interest as well). Good news if there will be support for 3FR files in ACR.

To day, You simply have to have support in ACR IMO (naturally others like RD are also a really nice bonus).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:33:57 pm by Dustbak »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 07:21:31 am »

In response to my question about support for 3FR in ACR I got answered by Hasselblad that it is not planned for the near future.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 08:15:55 am »

In response to my question about support for 3FR in ACR I got answered by Hasselblad that it is not planned for the near future.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who did you speak with? And it remains to be seen whether support will be for 3FR or .fff or both.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
FlexColor 4.7 Released
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 08:22:17 am »

Who did you speak with? And it remains to be seen whether support will be for 3FR or .fff or both.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See PM.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up