Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeff Schewe's Browser for Lightroom trick  (Read 8752 times)

jeknight

Jeff Schewe's Browser for Lightroom trick
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:06:24 am »

Hi,

I was very impressed by using Bridge as the browser for Lightroom. Is Bridge the only program that can be used this way or is there another program I can investigate? I am a very beginning photographer and am concentrating my spending on a camera and lenses.

JEK

picnic

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:49:20 am »

Hi,

I was very impressed by using Bridge as the browser for Lightroom. Is Bridge the only program that can be used this way or is there another program I can investigate? I am a very beginning photographer and am concentrating my spending on a camera and lenses.

JEK
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JEK, I'm curious about this 'trick' of Jeff's.  I've checked photoshopnews and all his recent posts here and don't find anything about this.  I'm curious--as I'm not using Lightroom (its on my HD by virtue of being an RSP license owner and getting version 1 free--plus I did use the beta).  Currently I'm using PSCS3/Bridge--and Imatch, though I haven't upgraded it for awhile--its almost more than I need (except for offline archives).  I also have C1LE and use it for an RC as well as RSP, but would like to consider lightroom with another way to access my folders rather than importing (actually acess from current place).  I just don't care for organizing my own folder setup--and then having to deal with doing it yet again in LR.

Diane

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:31 pm »

I was very impressed by using Bridge as the browser for Lightroom. Is Bridge the only program that can be used this way or is there another program I can investigate? I am a very beginning
I don't understand. The Library module in Lightroom is an excellent browser. Why do you need another one, or worse, to hack Bridge into being a browser for Lightroom. What's the point?

Just curious.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

jeknight

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 03:21:53 pm »

I don't understand. The Library module in Lightroom is an excellent browser. Why do you need another one, or worse, to hack Bridge into being a browser for Lightroom. What's the point?

Just curious.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the Tutorial video Jeff drags a selection of files from Bridge directly into Lightroom. It seems that when he does this all the keywording that he has done in Bridge is transferred with the pictures.

As I have a lot of "snapshot photographs" that I do not intend to spend a lot of time on but can't bear to part with yet dragging and dropping from the browser into Lightroom seemed a neat trick. I guess I haven't really sorted out what all the different programs are for yet.

Jane K

davidh4976

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:13:46 pm »

Try FastStone Image Viewer.  It's free. It's good. It's fast.  It reads RAW.

You can set it up so that when you are viewing a photo and then press E, it will launch that photo in the editing prograam of your choice.

http://www.faststone.org/

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:14 pm »

I don't understand. The Library module in Lightroom is an excellent browser. Why do you need another one, or worse, to hack Bridge into being a browser for Lightroom. What's the point?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorting, finding and selecting images is waaaaaay better in Bridge that in Lightroom.
Today I was trying to work out how to select certain images types in LR. Dead easy in Bridge, one click. Not exactly obvious in LR as how to do it.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jeknight

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 02:14:57 am »

Try FastStone Image Viewer.  It's free. It's good. It's fast.  It reads RAW.

You can set it up so that when you are viewing a photo and then press E, it will launch that photo in the editing prograam of your choice.

http://www.faststone.org/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for this David. I think this might be what I am looking for.

Thank you to everybody who has given advice. Its grea to have a "safe haven" for beginners.

Jane K

davidh4976

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:50:48 am »

Thank you for this David. I think this might be what I am looking for.

Thank you to everybody who has given advice. Its grea to have a "safe haven" for beginners.

Jane K
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're very welcome.
Your question caused me to think about your workflow as an alternative for importing images into Lightroom, too.  I kind of like the idea of dragging images from a quick, fast viewer like FastStone into Lightroom. One could easily sort through the obvious winners/losers and drag just the good ones into Lightroom.  It keeps Lightroom less cluttered.  Also, you can see and group images by subject in Faststone and then drag them as a group into Lightroom making tagging in Lightroom easier.  
I didn't know you could drag into Lightroom, so thank you too for educating me!
Best regards,
David

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07:43 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't really call it excellent. Its actually just about useful speed and view wise for selecting images for import. I use it of course but I'd like to see a more robust implementation for viewing and speed here. That said, I prefer it over Bridge (which isn't any overwhelming endorsement).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dfilion

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:37:33 am »

I'm slowly moving over to Photo Mechanic.  It has batch renaming,  raw processing, photo ranking and allows the creation of contact sheets with all which ever exif data you want.  Photo Mechanic also allows you to edit the photo in a configurable external editor (ex Photoshop).
Pages: [1]   Go Up