Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS CS3 - corrupt TIFF files  (Read 2801 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
PS CS3 - corrupt TIFF files
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:53:50 pm »

Has anyone had a higher degree of corrupt TIFF files working in CS3? I just finished up the digital imaging for a job. Turns out that three out of 34 final TIFF images given to the client were corrupt and couldn't be opened. Nearly 10%. I tried reopening them on my system, and sure enough they were trash and I have to re-do them, retouching and all. This is the first time in many years I've had something like this, and to have it all happen on one job is fishy.

The only thing that changed in my workflow is using CS3 to do the work, having converted them with RAW 4.1. For this particular client, I always give TIFF file, Mac bit order, LZW compressed. This truly bothers me and doesn't look good. After working with a file, I always do a "Save as..", rather than a direct "Save" for exactly this reason. Hmm, first screwed up printing, now corrupt files...

Nemo

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:28 pm »

Zero corruption on any Tiff saved out for, oh, let me see...the last 14 months of using both alpha, beta and final GM release versions of Photoshop CS3....it's far more likely to be a hard drive or directory problem...although I rarely use LZW...I use Tiff, zipped compression because it's smaller. Some LZW tiffs are actually larger than uncompressed tiffs.

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:24 pm »

Some LZW tiffs are actually larger than uncompressed tiffs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've only found that to be the case with 16-bit TIFFs as well as CMYK 8-bit. Years ago, I experienced corruption when I experimented with using LZW on CMYK (I'm talking PS 2.5) -- same corruption. I still find it exceptionally odd that I haven't had a corrupted TIFF file in four or five years, and suddenly I have three on the same job.. The drive checks out fine. The first thing I did was an extensive disk scan. I did pre-press on 700+ images last fall for one client: zero problems, saved with CS2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 08:46:04 pm by nemophoto »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:06:04 pm »

Is it possible you're having memory problems?  Corrupt the images and save the corruption to disk.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:45:52 pm »

Is it possible you're having memory problems?  Corrupt the images and save the corruption to disk.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's a thought, but then I'd be experiencing corruption of other data files, and that hasn't happened.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:34:46 pm »

Agreed.  Of course photo files are likely bigger and making them is likely crunching your system more.  I'd run memtest86 for an evening just to be sure.

Or just go back to CS2 and see if it happens again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up