Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for my Arca-Swiss Monolith 6x9 with DB?  (Read 4119 times)

Kristofer

Lenses for my Arca-Swiss Monolith 6x9 with DB?
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:41:33 pm »

Just bought a Arca-Swiss Monolith with a Kapture Group sliding stitchback for my PhaseOne DB.

Now i need to buy some lenses. What i'm looking for are as wide as possible, since i want it for interiors and such. Today i'm using my H2 and 35mm which is ok but far from perfect.

I'm aware of the limitation in tilt/shift that comes with wider lenses such as the widest Digitars.

I'm not to eager to invest in the lenses with electronic shutters due to the price of course, but is it impossible for me to use the wider Digitars such as th 24 and 35 with a mechanical Copal shutter?

Any other tips are welcome. Also where to buy them ...

//Kristofer
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:41:51 pm by Kristofer »

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:45:41 pm »

Both the 24mm and 35mm are available in a copal 0 mount.

Your M Monolith will focus the 35mm lens at infinity with the bag bellows, the 24mm will probably need a custom recessed board.

Kristofer

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:08:01 pm »

Both the 24mm and 35mm are available in a copal 0 mount.

Your M Monolith will focus the 35mm lens at infinity with the bag bellows, the 24mm will probably need a custom recessed board.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I talked to the Scneider rep. here in Sweden and he told me it's not possible to use the 24 and 35 with Copal 0 shutter on my Monolith, only the version with the electronic shutter would work. I think he said that i wouldn't be able to set aperture and shutter speed since i would need such a recessed board.

Anyone know someone who have used these lenses with Copal 0 on a Arca-Swiss 6x9?

The price difference is quite significant between the Copal 0 version and the electronic one.

//Kristofer

Joe Behar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:10:14 pm »

The Schneider 35mm wil not work, the Rodenstock will in both HR and non HR versions. I have over 12 of these systems in use around.

Kristofer

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:37:25 pm »

Thanks for your help!

Do you know if i would be able to use the Rodenstock 28mm with Copal 0?

/Kristofer

The Schneider 35mm wil not work, the Rodenstock will in both HR and non HR versions. I have over 12 of these systems in use around.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RicAgu

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:03:16 pm »

I have an Arca Swiss Monolith 4x5 and I just converted it to 6x9 for use with the P25 and use the 35mm Rodenstock all the time with no problem.  I use the Arca sliding back though and not the KG one.

I don't know what to tell you about the elctronic shutters although I did test them both.  Unless you are locked into a studio doing product, I would stay away from the Electronic Shutters.  I have yet to find a use for the 24mm & 28mm, plus the price is just insane compared to anything else out there.  But this is all subjective to what you do.

Best of luck with your Arca.  To me it is the best digital conversion for 4x5 at the moment.  I checked linhoff and sinar and the linhoff was just too expensive and complicated.  The sinar was too big and heavy to be able to go between studio and location. The Arca was the best to be able to go between studio & location.  As well as incredibly versatile to be able to go from 6x9 to 4x5 to 8x10 with little effort.

Kristofer

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:21:28 pm »

Thanks for the reply!

What lensboard do you use for the 35 mm, is the 15mm enough? Do you think i would be able to use a 28 mm, would i be able to set aperture and shutterspeed due to the recessed lensboard?

/Kristofer

I have an Arca Swiss Monolith 4x5 and I just converted it to 6x9 for use with the P25 and use the 35mm Rodenstock all the time with no problem.  I use the Arca sliding back though and not the KG one.

I don't know what to tell you about the elctronic shutters although I did test them both.  Unless you are locked into a studio doing product, I would stay away from the Electronic Shutters.  I have yet to find a use for the 24mm & 28mm, plus the price is just insane compared to anything else out there.  But this is all subjective to what you do.

Best of luck with your Arca.  To me it is the best digital conversion for 4x5 at the moment.  I checked linhoff and sinar and the linhoff was just too expensive and complicated.  The sinar was too big and heavy to be able to go between studio and location. The Arca was the best to be able to go between studio & location.  As well as incredibly versatile to be able to go from 6x9 to 4x5 to 8x10 with little effort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lester

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:47:39 pm »

If you want to used the 24mm, it has to be with the electronic shutter, I have one. It is also very hard to get everything in focus. The 24mm with electronic shutter is in  a special lens board, which is more recess then the one you could get. The focus is very short, but the Kapture sliding does work with the Arca-Swiss. If the 24mm is in a Copal 0 shutter, you could never adjust the shutter speed nor f/stops on the lens board on a Arca-Swiss, we are talking about a 24 mm lens on a 6x9 lens board. Also 24mm mean there is only 24mm from the center of the lens to the inf. focus at the back. Which is not much.

I talked to the Scneider rep. here in Sweden and he told me it's not possible to use the 24 and 35 with Copal 0 shutter on my Monolith, only the version with the electronic shutter would work. I think he said that i wouldn't be able to set aperture and shutter speed since i would need such a recessed board.

Anyone know someone who have used these lenses with Copal 0 on a Arca-Swiss 6x9?

The price difference is quite significant between the Copal 0 version and the electronic one.

//Kristofer
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

Kristofer

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:17:42 pm »

Just got an answer from Arca-Swiss.

It seems like i can use all Schneider Digitar lenses with Copal 0 shutter on my Monolith 6x9.
I got an PDF from Arca which shows the compatibility with all the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.
The 24mm with Copal 0 is not possible to use with the Rotaslide back (or Kapture group) but can be used if mounted directly on the rear frame. The lensboard used is the 14mm recessed board.

He also wrote:
1. You can turn the rear format frame by 180° which improves WA capability
2. There is a new Super WA bellows. (6cm long one fold)
3. The new 28 from Rodenstock works as well though similar to the 24 from
Schneider only if you connect the ccd back directly onto the frame.

So i don't have to buy the electronic shutter after all  

Must say that Arca-Swiss has a great customer service!!

//Kristofer
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:20:47 pm by Kristofer »
Pages: [1]   Go Up