Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD back vs. Phase One P21  (Read 11833 times)

samuel_js

Mamiya ZD back vs. Phase One P21
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:12:23 pm »

Hi all,
I just talked to the Mamiya dealer here in sweden. The price for the Mamiya ZD back will be 69.000 swedish crowns plus taxes which put the price just beside the Phase One P21 refit back also avaible here from some dealers. What would you do? 22 vs 18 mpx? Phase or mamiya? I'm planning to go over to digital soon. I'll live my Contax and switch to Mamiya. The only reason is the Contax's autofocus. It's just too slow. Frustrating some times! Hasselblad is not an option, as I've had an H1 and it's pretty OK but  very overpriced and the lenses are big as trains.  So I'm sure mamiya is the way to go. I thought the ZD back was my choice but the price in Europe won't be as low as in USA and the P21 is just there at the same price.
What do you think?
Thank's for any advice

/Samuel

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:53:01 pm »

Hi all,
I just talked to the Mamiya dealer here in sweden. The price for the Mamiya ZD back will be 69.000 swedish crowns plus taxes which put the price just beside the Phase One P21 refit back also avaible here from some dealers. What would you do? 22 vs 18 mpx? Phase or mamiya? I'm planning to go over to digital soon. I'll live my Contax and switch to Mamiya. The only reason is the Contax's autofocus. It's just too slow. Frustrating some times! Hasselblad is not an option, as I've had an H1 and it's pretty OK but  very overpriced and the lenses are big as trains.  So I'm sure mamiya is the way to go. I thought the ZD back was my choice but the price in Europe won't be as low as in USA and the P21 is just there at the same price.
What do you think?
Thank's for any advice
/Samuel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if you shoot people/fashion...not a question...P21...faster, 16bit, the difference in resolution...well check out what people say about the 5D compared to the 1DsmkII and that difference is bigger in therms of %.....
i am not badmouthing the ZD, but it shows that there are options out there...i would definitly try to get a demo on both and compare raw files.....
the af on the mamiya is still a joke....on the afdII it is about even with the H2, but still not really workable for me....if you work in studio, check out the RZ with the phase adapter...superbright finder image...if you like WLF....

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:57:42 pm »

I believe these sensors are different sizes. That may or may not be important to you.

samuel_js

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:03:08 pm »

Well I work mostly outdoors. A lot of landscape, and portraits/people in natural light. Some studio product too but no need for big prints. A big concern is the color rendition. For me color and 3D  feeling is more important than 3 mpx in resolution.

pss

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:18:45 pm »

Well I work mostly outdoors. A lot of landscape, and portraits/people in natural light. Some studio product too but no need for big prints. A big concern is the color rendition. For me color and 3D  feeling is more important than 3 mpx in resolution.

nothing i or anyone else says here should make up your mind then....if you need wider lenses, the larger sensor might be better for you....
but color and "3D feeling" is totally personal and everybody sees this differently...i switched to DMF because i was missing the "3D" in my 1dsmkII files...i have seen several raw files from the ZD and feel that they also somewhat lack the 3D feel....IMO the depth comes from the extra pixel depth/information that comes with 16bit....this is totally unscientific and personal but it is the only "technical" reason that would explain my findings....
i would strongly recommend testing both, because nobody can tell you which look you might like better....

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 07:52:18 pm »

If wide angle capability is important to you, as it is to many a landscape shooter, then I would appear to me that the Phase P21 will be limiting.

Regards,
Bernard

samuel_js

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:06:17 am »

If wide angle capability is important to you, as it is to many a landscape shooter, then I would appear to me that the Phase P21 will be limiting.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122281\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it's very possible.
Is there any chances that Capture One will support the ZD back?

pss

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:37:41 am »

Yes it's very possible.
Is there any chances that Capture One will support the ZD back?

as a phase user i have to say that i think LR is the better solution right now...i use it with my P30...i also doubt that C1 will fully (tethered,...) support the ZD back....

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:43:06 pm »

The problem I have with lightroom is the very slow preview option.
Phase ones C1 is so much faster, but indeed it doesn't support the ZD back yet
Pages: [1]   Go Up