Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Napa - Sonoma advice  (Read 3279 times)

Khurram

Napa - Sonoma advice
« on: June 10, 2007, 12:46:26 pm »

I hadn't planned on going to Napa or Sonoma, since i had planned to spend my 2 1/2 days in SF in the city, Marin and possibley Point Reyes (i ended up allotingmore days to Big Sur/Monterey/Carmel then SF).

I'd like to keep Napa and Sonoma as a contingency in case the bay area is fogged out.  How much time is needed to get from SF to Napa/Sonoma to shoot the vineyards and surrounding country side?  Any suggestions on locations and route would be appreciated.

Since i'm staying at between the Presedio and Palace of Fine Arts, i think it should only be at most 20 minutes to get to Marin, so hopefully i can avoid most of the traffic congestion.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

blansky

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 12:56:47 pm »

Golden Gate Bridge to Santa Rosa is about an hour and a half depending on traffic. To see Sonoma Wineries continue past Santa Rosa past Windsor and onto around Healdsburg on 101. Then any exit you take left or right will take you through miles of winding roads and hundreds of vineyards.

If you are in Sonoma County on 101 you can take River Road exit a few miles past Santa Rosa and take the backroads over to Calistoga and then on through the back way to St Helena, Rutherford etc on to Napa.

Once in Calistoga you are in the Napa valley and surrounded by vineyards for about 15 miles.

Michael

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 01:21:46 pm »

But Bay Area fogs are something to photograph, not something to flee?

Kirk

Khurram

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:00:30 pm »

Golden Gate Bridge to Santa Rosa is about an hour and a half depending on traffic. To see Sonoma Wineries continue past Santa Rosa past Windsor and onto around Healdsburg on 101. Then any exit you take left or right will take you through miles of winding roads and hundreds of vineyards.

If you are in Sonoma County on 101 you can take River Road exit a few miles past Santa Rosa and take the backroads over to Calistoga and then on through the back way to St Helena, Rutherford etc on to Napa.

Once in Calistoga you are in the Napa valley and surrounded by vineyards for about 15 miles.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the detailed route information!
----

Khurram

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:03:11 pm »

But Bay Area fogs are something to photograph, not something to flee?

Kirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree - most of the time.  Last time i was in SF my last day there, you could not even see anything at all.  I got up for sunrise and headed to the marin haeadlands, as i approached the GG, i couldn't even see the bridge.  It was even worse once i got to marin.  I waited around for about 2-3 hours after sunrise, but you couldn't see more then 20-30 feet.

I am hoping to get some shots with parts of the GG enveloped in fog, i just don't want to be stuck with nothing but fog!
----

Khurram

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »

One further questions regarding Napa and Sonoma.  Can someone suggest some wineyards, where you can tour to take photographs.  We don't drink, so i'm not looking for wine tasting tours (I have been able to google to get some wineyards that offer tours for wine tasting), but not sure if any are open to a roaming photographer
----

blansky

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:45:13 pm »

A lot of wineries you have never heard of, and there are hundreds,  sell their wine to the big boys and so don't have tours or tasting rooms. However most do. Some have tours that take you throught the process and at the end, have a tasting. I've never heard of a ban of taking photographs, although you can't wander off.

In reality because of the rolling hills, especially in Sonoma County, you can see a hundred different vistas from the backroads which are accessable right off 101.

I don't think they'd want you walking through their vineyards but I doubt that you'd need to.

When you get up here there are lots of winery maps and they will tell you who has tours and who doesn't.

Since Napa valley is really just a small valley, a mile or so wide and 15 miles long it's harder to get great vista shots, if that's what you're after.

In Sonoma the vista shots are available every few miles on the backroads.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:47:10 pm by blansky »

Khurram

Napa - Sonoma advice
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:04:05 pm »

A lot of wineries you have never heard of, and there are hundreds,  sell their wine to the big boys and so don't have tours or tasting rooms. However most do. Some have tours that take you throught the process and at the end, have a tasting. I've never heard of a ban of taking photographs, although you can't wander off.

In reality because of the rolling hills, especially in Sonoma County, you can see a hundred different vistas from the backroads which are accessable right off 101.

I don't think they'd want you walking through their vineyards but I doubt that you'd need to.

When you get up here there are lots of winery maps and they will tell you who has tours and who doesn't.

Since Napa valley is really just a small valley, a mile or so wide and 15 miles long it's harder to get great vista shots, if that's what you're after.

In Sonoma the vista shots are available every few miles on the backroads.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Michael!  Sounds like Sonoma is probably a better option for me.
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up