Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting XMP To File  (Read 3758 times)

Mort54

• http://
Exporting XMP To File
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:48:29 pm »

I would like to save my Lightroom edits as XMP sidecar files in the folders containing the edited images (in addition to the Lightroom database). Supposedly all I have to do is select a folder, and choose Metadata => XMP => Export XMP Metadata To File. But when I do this, the Export XMP..... choice is greyed out. I've selected a folder containing edited images. I've even selected a specific edited image and tried it, with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

I understand I can also have Lightroom export all XMP automatically during edits, but I've read in Martin Evening's book that this can really slow Lightroom down, so for now I'd prefer the interactive approach of selecting a folder and then explicitly exporting the edits to an XMP sidecar file.

Regards,
Mort.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:50:20 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Exporting XMP To File
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:56:31 am »

I understand I can also have Lightroom export all XMP automatically during edits, but I've read in Martin Evening's book that this can really slow Lightroom down, so for now I'd prefer the interactive approach of selecting a folder and then explicitly exporting the edits to an XMP sidecar file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121923\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be accurate (since it was me that told this to Martin when tech editing his metadata chapter), it will have an impact on performance...it doesn't say "really slow Lightroom down"...

I've selected a folder containing edited images. I've even selected a specific edited image and tried it, with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Works for me...note that exporting to XMP will only create sidcar files if the originals are non-DNG raws...the XMP gets written into DNG, JPG, TIFF & PSD files since there is a safe place to tuck them in those formats...

So, when I go into the Metadate menu after selecting images in Libary, I see the drop down and can select Export to XMP...you're saying it's not there or just grayed out? I presume you made some sort of change to the image, right? Either metadata or develop settings? Because if the file is no different than the file originally imported, I wouldn't expect to be able to export the XMP...

Also, what system, what OS?

Mort54

• http://
Exporting XMP To File
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:12:57 am »

So, when I go into the Metadate menu after selecting images in Libary, I see the drop down and can select Export to XMP...you're saying it's not there or just grayed out?
It's grayed out. I select a folder in the left panel of the Library module, which contains multiple images that have develop changes applied, go to the metadata menu and the XMP export option is grayed out. It occured to me that maybe it only works on individual files, so I selected a modified file and it's still grayed out.

Also, what system, what OS?
I'm on the latest MacOS, with all of the latest updates installed. I'm running on a Mac Pro with dual Intel processors (two dual-core Xeons). The image files are from a Phase One P45. I hear that support for P45 files is still only preliminary in LR 1.0 (official in ACR 4.1, but not yet official in LR 1.0), so maybe there's an issue with how it's handling these files.

Based on your feedback it sounds like I'm doing basically the right things. The menu option is just grayed out. Any other things I could check?

Regards,
Mort
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My
Pages: [1]   Go Up