Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Aletsch Glacier  (Read 4454 times)

Etienne Cassar

The Aletsch Glacier
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:45:47 pm »

This is a shot of the Aletsch glacier, Switzerland.  The original shot is in colour, and landscape format, showing more mountains on the left side of the image.  I decided to crop the left side and put the slope right in the centre of the pic.  Not quite sure about the tonality of the sky though.  Seems to dark to me and contrasts too much with the white highlights on the snow.  What do you think?

Etienne.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »

As a viewer, I find the low contrast & haziness of the mid-distance and distant mountains to be frustrating.  I'd probably not work with this particular photo, but try to get one on a clearer day.  Or, failing that, work with a photo that mostly omits the distant regions and focusses on the nearby mountains and glacier. The frustratingly low-contrast distant regions take up too much of the image as it currently stands.

Lisa

P.S.  I've been there, and it's gorgeous.    I recognized it immediately.  Did you take it from a ways out the trail across the glacier?
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Etienne Cassar

The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:04:33 am »

As a viewer, I find the low contrast & haziness of the mid-distance and distant mountains to be frustrating.  I'd probably not work with this particular photo, but try to get one on a clearer day.  Or, failing that, work with a photo that mostly omits the distant regions and focusses on the nearby mountains and glacier. The frustratingly low-contrast distant regions take up too much of the image as it currently stands.

Lisa

P.S.  I've been there, and it's gorgeous.    I recognized it immediately.  Did you take it from a ways out the trail across the glacier?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I took that picture from on top of Jungfrau.  It was a sunny day, but hazy in the distance.  Wonder when you can get good distant visibilty on top of a mountain. I always have that kind of problem.  Guess next time I'll limit myself photographing nearby subjects and forget distant landscaping.  Thanks for your feedback.

Andy M

• http://
The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:16:22 am »

It's looks like CGI to me

Tim May

The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:23:45 pm »

I like the shot.  Thanks for sharing.

MikeMike

• http://
The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:46:04 pm »

I find the black and white conversion very poor, as if you took the saturation and just slid it down. How did you do it?

Mike

Etienne Cassar

The Aletsch Glacier
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:43:58 am »

I find the black and white conversion very poor, as if you took the saturation and just slid it down. How did you do it?

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I selected one of the R, G, and B channels in the channels dialog box of Photoshop, and converted the image to grayscale, discarding the other 2 channels.  Forgot which channel I selected, but I chose the one that gave best result.  I'm still new to this area of photography, so please any better techniques are welcome.  Incidentally yesterday I was watching the first video tutorial on lightroom develop section, and found out that converting an image to black and white in lightroom gives you a lot of control on the result, much more that in photoshop.  So I guess that I'll give it a try and see if I get better results there.  Thank you all for your feedback.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:18:40 pm by ecassar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up