Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone sometimes JPEG ?  (Read 1951 times)

PeterLange

Anyone sometimes JPEG ?
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:54:34 am »

These days I find myself editing a couple of JPEG files from carefree shooting with my latest pocket / travel camera – an Ixus 900, just producing JPEG's. However, what I recognize is that my editing approach in Photoshop has become much more structured and systematic due to the lessons learned over the past years from Raw.

I mean, the mechanics of Raw conversion software and its sliders might be exemplary for a certain sequence of beneficial ‘treatments’ which can at least partly be adapted for JPEG’s. In the some aspects it’s certainly more a repair approach because the files are already pre-baked to the camera manufacturer’s idea of a pleasing rendition. Anyway, here’s roughly what I’m talking about:

/> Details: some luminance smoothing and color-noise reduction, followed by some re-sharpening and local contrast enhancement; involving a couple of Photoshop techniques as described at CreativePro, or by Ron Bigelow, or on this website.

/> Shadows & Exposure: some ex-post correction via the Shadows/Highlights-tool for WP setting and shadows recovery as well as for BP setting and highlights recovery.

/> Brightness & Contrast: addition of some brightness via a careful shaped sigmoidal RGB tone curve shining through a steepened Luminosity mask. Possibly some further tuning of tonality and contrast via another curve in Luminosity blend mode.

/> Saturation: via the Hue/Sat.-tool in Saturation blend mode, combined with a Saturation mask. Also an increase of highlights’ saturation via Selective Color + a respective mask can be quite nice to compensate for the de-saturation caused by RGB S-curves.

/> HSL Controls: again via the Hue/Sat.-tool in Photoshop (now at normal blend mode), execution of some color-selective tweaks for a pleasing look such as e.g. a deep blue sky, or to reduce the hue angle of plant green away from accuracy towards a warmer rendition.
Etc…

There are certainly zig ways to realize something in Photoshop, but Raw software seems to provide the proof in concept that a quite limited number of systematically arranged functions can be sufficient in many cases. Such kind of law and order in image editing might also be nice to have for JPEG’s and I wouldn't see a problem in principle upon educated adaptation.

I think my point here is that I don’t see any updated and focused literature on this subject. Sure, there are many books and articles on Raw as well as on Photoshop tools. But unless I’m missing something (which could easily be!) there would be enough room for a dedicated author to write a respective book; maybe something like: ‘’Editing Real-world Camera’s JPEG’s – some systematic production techniques in Photoshop’’.

Comments are appreciated.

Peter

--
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:05:53 am by PeterLange »

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
Anyone sometimes JPEG ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:46:46 pm »

But unless I’m missing something (which could easily be!) [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well... Lightroom and Photoshop CS 3 can treat JPGs the same way like they treat RAWs. Actually, during most sessions I find myself shooting pictures with my (great but RAW-less) Canon PowerShot S2 and the Canon EOS 30D (set to RAW permanently)

I put all the pictures from a particular session -- from both cameras -- into the same folder and import them in Lightroom. For Lightroom, they're all the same. And I can export JPGs to Photoshop -- in 16 bits, with all the Lightroom changes incorporated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up