Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon lenses for wildlife photography  (Read 2415 times)

BirdBrain

Canon lenses for wildlife photography
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:20:31 am »

I have a Canon EOS 20D, and currently use a Canon EF 75-300mm IS USM zoom lens. I am mostly taking pictures of birds, often at a focal length of 300mm. I vary ISO between 100 and 400, but can't seem to get consistently sharp images. Is the 75-300 lens appropriate for this intended use, or is there a better lens for taking hand held (no tripod/monopod) pictures of birds and other small subjects at a distance, in both forested and open landscapes? I would prefer a zoom, since I also have closer shots. Weight is a consideration, and I have a fairly flexible budget. Any other advice is also welcome!

davidh4976

Canon lenses for wildlife photography
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:59:33 pm »

If you most often use a focal length of 300mm, you should consider the 100-400 zoom.  They are typically quite sharp from 100-to-300.  They tend to drop in sharpness from 300-to-400, but can still produce quite acceptable images in that range, too.  It has IS and that helps.

But, since you say you prefer to hand hold, you are always going to be at a disadvantage compared to anyone who uses a tripod.  You need to shoot at higher shutter speeds with hand held.  I would encourage you to re-evaluate the tripod as a first step to sharper images.  (...although I admit that I don't know your reasons for hand holding instead of tripod.)  If mobility is an issue, consider a monopod.

Good luck!

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up