Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database (and program) location  (Read 2560 times)

Glendagary

Database (and program) location
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:18:35 pm »

I watched the video tutorial download by Michael and Jeff.  At the present this version of Lightroom database only works on one computer.  I believe Jeff Schewe said he is therefore keeping his database on an external hard drive.  My question is:
Did he say where the program is installed (C drive?)?  

My idea is to use a NAS drive for extra security and accessibility from my other computers and laptop, put  all photos as well as Lightroom database on NAS drive .  Then copy and import new photos to NAS drive, have database on NAS drive, and send a back up copy to another external hard drive at the same time.  

Are there others out there who are working this way?  Can lightroom database location be reassigned or do I have to uninstall and then choose location during reinstall?  How? Thanks for your response.

Gary

theophilus

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:44 am »

Just a note that Lightroom is faster if the database is on a different physical hard drive from your photos.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:30:33 am »

I believe Michael and Jeff are using both the database and the photo-library on external drives.    The location of the LR database can be any local drive - this rules out Fileserved or NAS storage, at least for now.  In LR preferences, change the Default Library to "Prompt Me when starting Lightroom".

I have a couple of lightroom db's on external drives (USB) and can easilly move the drives and access via separate installations of Lightroom on my laptop and desktop computer.

Although you could keep the photo's and DB on separate drives, I'm not sure the performance gain is all that significant - one *big* downside to that is it complicates backup's.  Try using LR as Jeff and Michael do, especially his suggestion regarding backup location when importing - I'm convinced these really are "best practices", at least with this version.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:31:12 am by Joh.Murray »

Glendagary

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:46 pm »

I believe Michael and Jeff are using both the database and the photo-library on external drives.    The location of the LR database can be any local drive - this rules out Fileserved or NAS storage, at least for now.  In LR preferences, change the Default Library to "Prompt Me when starting Lightroom".

I have a couple of lightroom db's on external drives (USB) and can easilly move the drives and access via separate installations of Lightroom on my laptop and desktop computer.

Although you could keep the photo's and DB on separate drives, I'm not sure the performance gain is all that significant - one *big* downside to that is it complicates backup's.  Try using LR as Jeff and Michael do, especially his suggestion regarding backup location when importing - I'm convinced these really are "best practices", at least with this version.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks John.  So if I understand you correctly...you are saying that photos and database are on the same USB external drive for best performance and backup?  I suppose I could use the NAS drive for the "backup copy" location when importing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up