Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and tiff compression  (Read 8383 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Lightroom and tiff compression
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:14:40 pm »

I like to export my images from Lightroom using Tiff and NO compression.  However when I later open the image in CS3, make some adjustments and click save, it automatically saves as ZIP compression, Pixel order: per channel and byte order: PC.

To change the tiff options I have to click "save as" again, then I get the tiff option box where I can change my options (I don't want ZIP compression or "per channel" pixel order and "PC" for byte order.  

(I'm on a Mac).  Does anyone know why Lightroom seems to be saving the file with ZIP compression even tho I have my prefs checked for "no comression". ?   I only have this problem with ZIP compression on files exported from Lightroom .... Thanks, Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:50:44 pm »

I like to export my images from Lightroom using Tiff and NO compression.  However when I later open the image in CS3, make some adjustments and click save, it automatically saves as ZIP compression, Pixel order: per channel and byte order: PC.

To change the tiff options I have to click "save as" again, then I get the tiff option box where I can change my options (I don't want ZIP compression or "per channel" pixel order and "PC" for byte order. 

(I'm on a Mac).  Does anyone know why Lightroom seems to be saving the file with ZIP compression even tho I have my prefs checked for "no comression". ?   I only have this problem with ZIP compression on files exported from Lightroom .... Thanks, Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know why it's doing it but I have the same thing on my windows system. If the file is saved from PS as a single layer tiff then no problem but if there is more than one layer it saves it as Image compression: zip, Pixel order: per channel and Layer compression: zip all without a tiff options prompt. Very annoying when you forget to save as and the file has a big stack of layers as it can take an age to crunch through the compression calculations.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:02:00 pm by timhurst »

Roy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 07:02:07 pm »

There was a thread recently on Lightroom and TIFF here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=15867&hl=tiff

When you open, edit and save a TIFF file in photoshop, it is saved with the same formatting and compression it arrived with, unless you use SAVE AS which allows you to chose the options. So the problem is Lightroom.

For practical purposes, the pixel and byte order don't matter. Compression takes time and that may matter to you.
Roy

eleanorbrown

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:20:19 pm »

Roy this seem to imply that Lightroom is sending my tiff files as Zip compression even tho I have checked "no compression" in the Lighroom prefs.  also I'm using Imageprint to print and it won't print these Zip tiff files. question is---why isn't Lightroom paying any attention to my checks prefs on no tiff compression?  eleanor

There was a thread recently on Lightroom and TIFF here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=15867&hl=tiff

When you open, edit and save a TIFF file in photoshop, it is saved with the same formatting and compression it arrived with, unless you use SAVE AS which allows you to chose the options. So the problem is Lightroom.

For practical purposes, the pixel and byte order don't matter. Compression takes time and that may matter to you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:48:24 am »

Roy this seem to imply that Lightroom is sending my tiff files as Zip compression even tho I have checked "no compression" in the Lighroom prefs.  also I'm using Imageprint to print and it won't print these Zip tiff files. question is---why isn't Lightroom paying any attention to my checks prefs on no tiff compression?  eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's reasonable to assume it's a bug and that your prefs should be honoured throughout the life of the tiff unless you decide to change them. v1 seems to have been pushed out the door in a bit of a rush, bugs and all.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:03:22 pm by timhurst »

eleanorbrown

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:27 am »

Does anyone know if Mark Hamburg at Adobe is aware of this.  I'm hoping it will be fixed in the 1.1 update.  Speaking of the new update,  does anyone have any definitive idea (aside from "soon") when this will be released?? Thanks, Eleanor

I think it's reasonable to assume it's a bug and that your prefs should be honoured throughout the life of the tiff unless you decide to change them. v1 seems to have been pushed out the door in a bit of a rush, bugs and all.

Roy: amusing thread - they didn't get very far with that one! lol ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:52:35 am »

Does anyone know if Mark Hamburg at Adobe is aware of this.  I'm hoping it will be fixed in the 1.1 update. 

If not already fixed, I will make sure it is brought to the attention of Mark and colleagues at Adobe.

--John (LR beta tester)

eleanorbrown

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 10:15:57 am »

Wonderful John, thanks!  also, do you have any idea when "soon" is, concerning the release of the update?  I have Phase One Plus files that will be unofficially supported in 1.1 and am anxious to process these files in Lightroom.  Thanks again, Eleanor

If not already fixed, I will make sure it is brought to the attention of Mark and colleagues at Adobe.

--John (LR beta tester)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121600\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:25:34 am »

Wonderful John, thanks!  also, do you have any idea when "soon" is, concerning the release of the update? 

If I did know and said, I would be violating my NDA.  If I made an educated guess based on inside knowledge, it would still be a violation of the NDA.  Sorry, can't help with this one.

--John

DavidW

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 09:21:51 am »

Wonderful John, thanks!  also, do you have any idea when "soon" is, concerning the release of the update?  I have Phase One Plus files that will be unofficially supported in 1.1 and am anxious to process these files in Lightroom.  Thanks again, Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor - go to the Adobe Downloads site, find Camera Raw and DNG Converter 4.1 for your platform (Windows or Mac as appropriate). You should be able to run those Phase One Plus files through DNG Converter 4.1, then import the DNGs into Lightroom. If it doesn't work, then unless you get a message back to Adobe that it doesn't work, it may not be fixed in Lightroom 1.1.

DNG Converter is a standalone application; it doesn't need you to have a 'host' application that works with the corresponding version of Camera Raw.

The code behind Camera Raw 4.1 is, I understand, the new RAW engine that's going into Lightroom 1.1. If you have Photoshop CS3 or some recent versions of Elements (though, as is usual with Elements, not all Adobe Camera Raw features are supported), you can update to Camera Raw 4.1 and try the new features out. The easiest way to update Photoshop CS3 is to run Updates on the Help menu, not least as you'll pick up other updates at the same time (Bridge 2.1, if you have a Creative Suite you'll also get Version Cue CS3 3.1).

I'm excited by the new sharpening and 'clarity' features; I've reworked a couple of Photoshop CS3 files to use them (being able to bring in Camera Raw files as Smart Objects in Photoshop CS3 is so useful!).

I, too, am looking forward to Lightroom 1.1, but it's important that Adobe gets it right. I'm not a beta tester, but I'd guess at some time this month or possibly early July. Only time will tell; I suspect Adobe are working to milestones and goals rather than a specific date.

David

eleanorbrown

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 09:53:55 am »

Thanks David, but I have already done this and the plus files are not supported in Camera RAW or DGN 4.1.  I thought surely they would, but they weren't.  Eleanor

Eleanor - go to the Adobe Downloads site, find Camera Raw and DNG Converter 4.1 for your platform (Windows or Mac as appropriate). You should be able to run those Phase One Plus files through DNG Converter 4.1, then import the DNGs into Lightroom. If it doesn't work, then unless you get a message back to Adobe that it doesn't work, it may not be fixed in Lightroom 1.1.

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121779\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up