Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery advice for a 2 week trek  (Read 3426 times)

CUclimber

Battery advice for a 2 week trek
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:15:06 pm »

I am in the process of making plans for a two week trek through the Himalayas in the country of Bhutan.  Of course the cameras are coming with me, but I've never brought them anywhere where I'd be away from an electrical outlet for more than a few days.

I shoot with a 20D and I'll have a Rebel XTi as a backup/second body.  The trek that I'm looking at is probably going to be in the 8-10 day range with a few days in tiny villages on each end, and I need to know how to plan for battery usage and/or charging.  Does anyone have any experience with solar chargers? Would I be better off using AA batteries or the standard Li-ion Canon batteries?

I'm also going back and forth on lens choice for the trip.  I'm going to be picking up a 17-55 f/2.8 IS soon, and I'll have my 70-200 and 50 f/1.8 with me for sure.  I don't shoot much in the way of animals and other wildlife, but would you suggest that I bring something longer than 200mm?

Paul79UF

• Paul's Travel Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:53:32 pm »

Will you have access to a car/jeep with a 12v cig lighter?

The solar chargers usually come with a 12v plug on them.
[url=http://www.PaulsTravelPictures.c

LA30

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:39:41 pm »

How about power station

peter.doerrie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:57:22 am »

I have the same kind of problem:

at least 3 weeks of hiking in the high Atlas (morocco). Most of the region has never heard of electricity.

I have a D400 (XTi).

Power Station or something similar is no solution for my needs, as it is pretty expensive... I can buy five or more Li-ions for that.

What do you think, how much Li-ions should I pack? And has anybody experience with AA Batteries as Power source (they will be available in Morocco and I have the Battery grib, so I can use them).

Thanks,

Peter

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:43:55 am »

I had the same problem several years ago.  We were down at the bottom of Grand Canyon for over two weeks.
I purchased three 30 watt Digital Camera Batteries from
www. digitalcamerabattery.com

They were great as I was able to power my D2x camera, storage vault hard drive and laptop.  I just had a special cable for each.  (Used the same battery)

Having three is better than one big one as you could always lose one in the drink or ----.  I kept mine in three locations on seperate rafts.  Also, you are only carrying around 1/3 the weight, etc.  I also powered some LED's for night lights.

This is certainly one soluton.

I think they also have done something with solor cell charging, but iI am not sure.  Give them a call.  They were very helpful to me.

Hope this helps, Dave
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:44:34 am by Dave_C »

RoelandFort

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 03:52:34 am »

At the moment I am travelling through Asia for one year. I use Canon 5D and in total I carry 10 batteries for my camera.
But actually I never needed more than 4 batteries in a period of two weeks.

I have to say most of my batteries are not from Canon (Lenmar) and they last as long as the Canon ones.

For me electicity is more a need for storage of images. (Laptop)

How are you planning on this?

Roeland Fort.

peter.doerrie

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 08:02:02 am »

At the moment I am travelling through Asia for one year. I use Canon 5D and in total I carry 10 batteries for my camera.
But actually I never needed more than 4 batteries in a period of two weeks.

I have to say most of my batteries are not from Canon (Lenmar) and they last as long as the Canon ones.

For me electicity is more a need for storage of images. (Laptop)

How are you planning on this?

Roeland Fort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Take a few more CF Cards as well

As I have limited myself to 15 kg (we will carry our backpacks alone - no mules etc), a laptop will definitely be out of question...
Pages: [1]   Go Up