Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup questions  (Read 4597 times)

rainiershooter

Backup questions
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:43:53 am »

A couple of questions re: backup from a novice:

1)  If I move Lightroom's backup folder to an external hard drive can Lightroom find it during the automatic backup process?  Keeping the backup folder on the same internal drive as everything else doesn't make much sense....or am I missing something?

2)  After import I trash the obvious losers and convert the keeper(s) to DNG's.  Is there a way to burn these DNG's to a DVD directly from Lightroom without exporting them first?

Thanks.

ranjans

Backup questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:15:01 pm »

1)  If I move Lightroom's backup folder to an external hard drive can Lightroom find it during the automatic backup process?  Keeping the backup folder on the same internal drive as everything else doesn't make much sense....or am I missing something?

2)  After import I trash the obvious losers and convert the keeper(s) to DNG's.  Is there a way to burn these DNG's to a DVD directly from Lightroom without exporting them first?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reading your question I have another question for expert users, don't we have/need a manual backup option, as of now I could only find automatic daily/weekly/monthly automatic options.

If we are in need of manually backing up the database we need changing the automatic option to 'when lightroom starts' would it not be useful to have a button for manual backup?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:15:36 pm by ranjans »

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Backup questions
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:07:55 pm »

1)  If I move Lightroom's backup folder to an external hard drive can Lightroom find it during the automatic backup process?  Keeping the backup folder on the same internal drive as everything else doesn't make much sense....or am I missing something?

2)  After import I trash the obvious losers and convert the keeper(s) to DNG's.  Is there a way to burn these DNG's to a DVD directly from Lightroom without exporting them first?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) Yes, you can select another location for the backup, provided that location is available when doing the backup (e. g. an external drive is mounted).  However, the backup is just a file that can be copied to anywhere you wish, so it may be easier to have the backup on the main internal drive, and then regularly back that drive up (as you should do in any case).  An important part of the backup process is testing the integrity of the database, and that is independent of the selected location for the backup.

2)  I assume you´re aware that what is backed up by Lightroom is just the database, NOT the image files themselves, not even the preview images.  So you´re advised to have a good backup system for them, independently of Lightroom.  With the present version of LR, there is no provision to do this from within LR; a new version is due very soon; it may change this.  At present, best solution is to back up your images (in your case converted to DNG´s) asap by copying them to another drive, or by burning DVD´s.
Per Ofverbeck
My

CaptnWil

Backup questions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »

If you use any of the LR backup procedures, you are likely to be very surprised at what happens.  I can assure you it will be far different than you expect.  Just try it and then look for the backup.

This is true for all LR disk import/backup functions except to import from RAW files already downloaded to your computer.  The list of surprises it much too long to detail here, but I have found I can't use any of them.  All of my import from CF card and all backups is done with third part tools that produce results that I expect.

Good Luck!
Wil

rainiershooter

Backup questions
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »

2)  I assume you´re aware that what is backed up by Lightroom is just the database, NOT the image files themselves, not even the preview images.  So you´re advised to have a good backup system for them, independently of Lightroom.  With the present version of LR, there is no provision to do this from within LR; a new version is due very soon; it may change this.  At present, best solution is to back up your images (in your case converted to DNG´s) asap by copying them to another drive, or by burning DVD´s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Per:  Thanks much for your input.  A final (dumb) question:  How do I burn the converted DNG's to DVD?  I guess what I'm really asking is where are they?  Do I use the Export to DNG (even though they are already DNG's) in Lightroom along with the Burn to Disc option??

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Backup questions
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:24:41 am »

Per:  Thanks much for your input.  A final (dumb) question:  How do I burn the converted DNG's to DVD?  I guess what I'm really asking is where are they?  Do I use the Export to DNG (even though they are already DNG's) in Lightroom along with the Burn to Disc option??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I´d do this outside LR altogether (at least with the current version).  Honestly, you ought to keep track of just where LR does put your valuable originals, just to be on the safe side....  

If you "import files at their current location", they stay right where they were to begin with, and it is up to you to create a working directory structure for them, where they can be found.  Only, don´t move them around after importing, or LR will lose track of them.

If you "move files to a new location and import", LR will put them in a directory tree that (hopefully) mirrors the folder structure you´ve set up in LR.  If you "copy files to a new.....", you´ll have it both ways, and take up twice the disk space.

Anyway, by right-clicking on any image in the LR Library pane, you´ll get a menu allowing you to "show in Finder" (or the Windoze equivalent, whatever it is called), and so you´ll be able to find out where it is, and with luck, all your other imported images as well.

Now, outside LR, just highlight a "DVD-ful" of image files at a time, and burn them out, carefully marking the DVD´s with what´s on them.  Or, copy the entire directory tree with all images to a large external drive (I do both, and keep the copies separate).

Primitive?  Possibly, but it works quite well, once you get started.  And who knows what the impending Version 1.1 will do to improve backup (Adobe are probably very much aware that Aperture is quite good at it already, so they´ll probably work hard to compete...).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:26:02 am by Per Ofverbeck »
Per Ofverbeck
My

rainiershooter

Backup questions
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »

Well, I´d do this outside LR altogether (at least with the current version).  Honestly, you ought to keep track of just where LR does put your valuable originals, just to be on the safe side....  

If you "import files at their current location", they stay right where they were to begin with, and it is up to you to create a working directory structure for them, where they can be found.  Only, don´t move them around after importing, or LR will lose track of them.

If you "move files to a new location and import", LR will put them in a directory tree that (hopefully) mirrors the folder structure you´ve set up in LR.  If you "copy files to a new.....", you´ll have it both ways, and take up twice the disk space.

Anyway, by right-clicking on any image in the LR Library pane, you´ll get a menu allowing you to "show in Finder" (or the Windoze equivalent, whatever it is called), and so you´ll be able to find out where it is, and with luck, all your other imported images as well.

Now, outside LR, just highlight a "DVD-ful" of image files at a time, and burn them out, carefully marking the DVD´s with what´s on them.  Or, copy the entire directory tree with all images to a large external drive (I do both, and keep the copies separate).

Primitive?  Possibly, but it works quite well, once you get started.  And who knows what the impending Version 1.1 will do to improve backup (Adobe are probably very much aware that Aperture is quite good at it already, so they´ll probably work hard to compete...).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121901\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Per.   I have it all figured out now.

The View

Backup questions
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 07:22:52 pm »

[/quote]I assume you´re aware that what is backed up by Lightroom is just the database, NOT the image files themselves, not even the preview images.  So you´re advised to have a good backup system for them, independently of Lightroom.  With the present version of LR, there is no provision to do this from within LR; a new version is due very soon; it may change this.  At present, best solution is to back up your images (in your case converted to DNG´s) asap by copying them to another drive, or by burning DVD´s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

The back-up by lightroom does not include the image files.

This was important.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:25:31 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

seamus finn

Backup questions
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:44:19 am »

Re backups in Lightroom, it all sounds very flimsy and unpredictable for such an important function. That's why I'm sticking with the Bridge I know rather than the LR I don't know - for the moment anyway.

Seamus Finn

madmanchan

• Web
Backup questions
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:07:42 pm »

Backups in LR currently (v1.0) are very simple: they back up the database itself. The previews aren't backed up. They're not critical, either. If you lose them, annoying, but they can all be re-generated from the original image files.

The two critical things are: (1) the database and (2) your image files (e.g., your RAW, TIFF, PSD files, etc.) The LR auto-backups take care of #1. You are in charge of #2.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up