Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Black&White Command Memory Problem  (Read 1912 times)

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
CS3 Black&White Command Memory Problem
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:00:43 am »

I recently installed CS3 without any problems.  Have been running smoothly with large files (350 MB, created from medium format scans).  PhotoMerge, AutoAlign, Merge to HDR all work well with two of these large files.  No problems with multiple layers either; I have tried up to 11 so far...

However, when I try to use the Layer/New-Adjustment-Layer/Black&White command on a file over approx 205 MB I always get the error message:

"Could not complete... there is not enough memory (RAM)"

I have 4 GB of RAM, Windows XP, Service Pack 2, /3 GB switch in boot.ini (no stability problems with any apps).  My primary PS scratch drive is defragmented 10.5 GB separate partition on an internal E drive.  Secondary scratch has 30 GB free.

I have tried everything I can think of, including:

1 - modifying the amount of RAM allocated to CS3 from 50% to 90% in 5 % increments
  (with and without the /3 GB switch.  BTW, with the switch Photoshop reports I have   almost 2.6 GB available)
2 - reducing the number of Cache levels to 2 and number of History states to only 4
3 - Modified the Windows XP Page file to Custom, min,max Memory 4050,4096 MB.
4 - Created a second Page file on E:
5 - With both 4096 MB Page files (C, E) I tried putting the Photoshop scratch file on an external drive with 200 GB free (to avoid conflict with the second Page file).
6 - There are no other applications of any memory hogging significance running during these trials... and of course I re-started CS3 after each change to the Preferences or rebooted after changing the Page Files.

Since everything else is working so well I am thinking either the B/W layer command is for some reason a terrible memory hog,   or the code is buggy.

Any ideas?,

Ken

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
CS3 Black&White Command Memory Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:34:59 am »

However, when I try to use the Layer/New-Adjustment-Layer/Black&White command on a file over approx 205 MB I always get the error message:

"Could not complete... there is not enough memory (RAM)"

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adobe Tech Support responded to my 'Web Case' quickly.  Suggested I try steps 4,5,11 and 12 in their Tech Note "Troubleshoot system errors or freezes ..."

Step 4 didn't work, but step 11 (Run Photoshop in a new user account) did !
After that I was able to customize a new CS3 Preferences file (*.psp) in the new user account, copy it over to my original user account and it works there too.

No idea how the orig Preferences file got damaged (or why step 4 didn't work) but I'm pleased.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up