Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AFDII ZD back but now ???  (Read 4376 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Mamiya 645AFDII ZD back but now ???
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:29:11 pm »

Today I had a nice talk with the Dutch importer for Mamiya and I have for 95% decided to go with the following:

Mamiya 645AFDII
Mamiya ZD Back
I know the back is not as good as a leaf or Phase one but my budget is limited at the moment for a new system.

The problem for me is however lenses.

At the moment I use :
Canon 5D and mostly for portraits 85mm - 135mm and full bodies arround 40mm

As mentioned my budget is limited and I'm thinking about starting with one good allround lens for studio work, AF and good quality.
And one wideangle lens app 28-35mm FF format can be MF.

I want to start however with a bit more lenses and preferable second hand, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly works on the system and what not.
Over time I will change the lenses for AF version but I have to start somewhere.

Why the ZD ?
I was waiting for the 1DsIII because to be honest the 5D works flawlessly for my work, however I'm totally in love with the 4:3 format and 13MP is for what I do just enough but I want a bit more.
But mostly the 3D look of the larger sensor is my drive to switch system.

The 5D will probarbly be sold when a 40D comes out for privat use and sports/live concerts, or I will keep the 5D not sure about that.

Hope someone here can help.

Greetings,
Frank
to see the work (maybe it helps) www.frankdoorhof.com

Lester

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:56 pm »

So, you want to get some cheap lenses for your Mamiya AFD II, well here it goes, the cheapest place to get used lenses is at ebay. Since you shoot portraits, you should look into the 150mm AF lens, for your wide angle, the 35mm AF always go at a high price, you might think about the 45mm AF, which is much cheaper at ebay. You also might think about getting the 645 AFD or the 645 AFD II there also, you could save a lot of money.

I shoot the Mamiya AFD with my P45 and I been buying my Mamiya stuff from ebay. I have not have any problem with anything I got for my Mamiya.

Today I had a nice talk with the Dutch importer for Mamiya and I have for 95% decided to go with the following:

Mamiya 645AFDII
Mamiya ZD Back
I know the back is not as good as a leaf or Phase one but my budget is limited at the moment for a new system.

At the moment I use :

As mentioned my budget is limited and I'm thinking about starting with one good allround lens for studio work, AF and good quality.

I want to start however with a bit more lenses and preferable second hand, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly works on the system and what not.
Over time I will change the lenses for AF version but I have to start somewhere.
Why the ZD ?
I was waiting for the 1DsIII because to be honest the 5D works flawlessly for my work, however I'm totally in love with the 4:3 format and 13MP is for what I do just enough but I want a bit more.

The 5D will probarbly be sold when a 40D comes out for privat use and sports/live concerts, or I will keep the 5D not sure about that.

Greetings,
Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 04:20:21 pm »

Thanks,
The body and back will be bought new from the importer.
I don't want to run into problems and want the AFDII and this one is not much seen on Ebay

I have had terrible experiences with Ebay, 90% I mailed turned out to be scams.

But I will try again
I see indeed some very nice lenses.

Normally I ask a picture of the lens with a recent newspaper, most of the time you don't get an answer any more.

elliot_n

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:11:39 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the Mamiya 645AF with film - mainly full length environmental portraits.

I use the 55mm AF lens 90% of the time. It's excellent. Wide, but not too wide, no distortion, very sharp.

To match the field of view of the 55mm with the ZD back, then the 45mm lens might be more appropriate.

As you shoot people, I don't think you should be considering the manual focus Mamiya lenses. As I understand it, these lenses need to be manually stopped down to the working aperture prior to taking the shot. This results in a darkened viewfinder image - fine for landscapes, but not for people, where you have to focus on a moving target. (I might be wrong here - happy to be corrected!)

Elliot

Lester

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:50:14 pm »

Frank,

Sorry for your bad experience with ebay, I have over 127 feedback from ebay and I never have any problem buying camera equipement from ebay. You might be asking too much, most of them do not have the time. There are about 3-4 big sellers of Mamiya 645 on ebay and they seems to be very honest. Just don't buy from people with low feedback and there are a lot of scam on ebay, you just have to be careful. I got my AFDII from ebay at $1800.00 that seems to be the going price for that camera. Most all the cameras and lenses are like new condition.

Give it a try again and you well save a lot of money. I did.

quote=Frank Doorhof,Jun 5 2007, 04:20 PM]
Thanks,
The body and back will be bought new from the importer.
I don't want to run into problems and want the AFDII and this one is not much seen on Ebay

I have had terrible experiences with Ebay, 90% I mailed turned out to be scams.

But I will try again
I see indeed some very nice lenses.

Normally I ask a picture of the lens with a recent newspaper, most of the time you don't get an answer any more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
I am a old fart, over 60

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 06:00:58 pm »

Thanks,
I'm now in contact with some sellers for the lenses and I have a good feeling this time

The camera will be new with the back (I get a good price ) I don't want to be send away when I have a compatibility problem with front or backfocusing.
When I buy the base from the same seller (the importer) I know for sure I have good support.

We have offered to include the setup in our new instructional DVD and promote the brand via our website and publications so it's also for the importer a win-win situation.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:00:19 pm »

Mamiya 645AFDII
Mamiya ZD Back

At the moment I use :

Why the ZD ?

Greetings,
Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have bought a lot of mamiya stuff on ebay including 2 afdII s....no problems at all.....
the lenses: you really can't go wrong either way...i have the 35mm, 80, 150, 55-110....for the RZ i have the 120, 140macro and the 180...i use my P30 on both cameras.....works great...

i am not sure if the 3D look you are talking about will happen with the ZD....i stongly recommend downloading files or even better testing the camera....in my experience the 3D look comes from the depth of the files, not so much the sensor size....i used to have a P20 and a 1DsmkII at the same time and the P20 files had the depth you are talking about....but when the files were cropped, the same sensor area was being used on either camera....it is the file quality that gives it the depth....the resolution just lets you make bigger "flat" images (hope you understand what i mean).....

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »

I know what you mean.
I have the ZD here now with the AFD/II and the 3D is definitly here much more than with the 5D.

See the review here:

http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic...msg3225#msg3225

Greetings,
Frank
www.frankdoorhof.com

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 12:25:17 am »

I know what you mean.
I have the ZD here now with the AFD/II and the 3D is definitly here much more than with the 5D.

See the review here:
http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic...msg3225#msg3225
Greetings,
Frank
www.frankdoorhof.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is a great review, very worthwhile!
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: [1]   Go Up