Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Resolution and Interpolation  (Read 5421 times)

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
Printing Resolution and Interpolation
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »

Sorry if this has been posted on before but I couldn't find the answer I was looking at.

The print module seems very clear but I have one main question.  Let's say I want to print at the native resolution of the image at 240 dpi (or 360 dpi) how do I do that?  I can see how to change the resolution and change the print size, but how do I make sure no data is being interpolated?  It seems that when I change resolution, the size of the image on the page does not change and I don't know how much interpolation is occuring.  And vice versa. Can I change the print size and have the resolution change or the other way around (change the resolution and have the print size change)?  This seemed pretty straightforward in Photoshop.

Any help would be much appreciated.  And in a related question, when I increase the resolution, what type of interpolation is occurring? Is it bicubic smoother for increase in size and bicubic sharper for decrease.

Thank!

Eli

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:55:10 pm »

Don't worry about it...it'll be fixed in the upcoming update (it's broken now) and it's using the Camera Raw pipeline for resizing...

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:29:27 pm »

Don't worry about it...it'll be fixed in the upcoming update (it's broken now) and it's using the Camera Raw pipeline for resizing...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121123\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jeff although I'm still a little lost.  

So by broken now, do you mean that I shouldn't use Lightroom for printing large prints for display?

I just finished watching the tuturials and at this stage it just seems like Lightroom is NOT the place to do the printing.  That is unless of course you print from a version of the image that has been sharpened and sized to a specific size at a specific resolution.  Then you would have to either keep both programs running or name the file with the print size and resolution which is a big pain.

For contact sheets, and small prints, the Lightroom method seems fine.  But it seems to me at least for now, the control I need (interpolation yes/no, if yes how much and therefore how to sharpen for print) aren't there yet.

Am I missing something?

Eli

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:52:25 pm »

So by broken now, do you mean that I shouldn't use Lightroom for printing large prints for display?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At this point in 1.0 you CAN'T print without SOME resampling going on...and I think it means it's broken for people who want to round trip and set exact image size and resolutions in Photoshop-prep for output and then print from Lightroom 1.0 without LR 1.0 resampling the images...

Of course, I'm not using 1.0 anymore...but that's me. The update will allow you to turn resampling on/off and when off it tells you what the size is and native resolution in PPI (not DPI which was a mistake on the engineer's part-I didn't catch that in time to get them to fix it).

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:25:47 pm »

Thanks.  That's good news.  I can't wait until 1.1 comes out.  I can't imagine it will be too long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up