Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens upgrade path to 1Ds MkIII  (Read 9926 times)

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Lens upgrade path to 1Ds MkIII
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:50:12 pm »

I'm looking for some feedback on what lenses I should consider as I look toward a coming release of the 1Ds MkIII.

I had been shooting with a Canon 20D until recently when I sold it and the EF-S lenses with it in anticipation of the 1Ds MkIII coming out this spring. Of course, it didn't appear and left me digital camera deprived (I am still using my trusty Pentax 67 for landscape work and scanning- still a great option! and my Panasonic LX-2 for hiking and snaps). I have pretty much decided that I can't go on any longer without a decent DSLR so I am strongly leaning toward buying a Rebel XTi that I can use until the big Canon appears, and then use it as a backup camera after that.

The question is, what do do about lenses. I already have a EF 70-200 f4L (non IS). The difficulty is that I am making the assumption that when Canon releases the 1Ds MkIII, they will also release a few upgraded or new lenses that can resolve the 22MP(?) that this camera will pack. Right now, I am looking at the EF 24-105 and the EF 16-35 II as possible lenses to aquire now, but am wondering if even these lenses will be up to the task when the big Canon appears. The question is, should I go for them now, or do without and wait. Help me decide!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:57:04 pm »

I would get the xti and an appropriate lens for it.  (A Tamron 17-50 would seem to be an inexpensive stop gap.)  Then punt all the 1dsmkiii lens questions until the 1dsmkiii shows itself.

wmchauncey

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:05:53 pm »

I would get the xti and an appropriate lens for it.  (A Tamron 17-50 would seem to be an inexpensive stop gap.)  Then punt all the 1dsmkiii lens questions until the 1dsmkiii shows itself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've got an xti and I bought a pair of Sigmas (18x50 & 55X200).  As hindsite I wish I would have gone longer than 200mm.  From what I've read a stabelizing lens is a lot of hype. LOL
The things you do for yourself die with

jeffok

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:00:24 pm »

Well, the XTi comes in a kit with the 18-55mm lens I think, for peanuts so I can go with that.

But I guess the big question I have is, will the 16-35 II and the 24-105 be up to the task? For those with 1Ds Mk II's, how do these lenses perform in terms of resolving what the sensor can capture? If you then add another say 6 MP to the sensor, will these lenses still be adequate? Or is it likely that Canon will have to come out with a whole new lineup of lenses? For example, the DF 100-400 is probably due for an upgrade as well.

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:22:09 am »

Well, the XTi comes in a kit with the 18-55mm lens I think, for peanuts so I can go with that.

But I guess the big question I have is, will the 16-35 II and the 24-105 be up to the task? For those with 1Ds Mk II's, how do these lenses perform in terms of resolving what the sensor can capture? If you then add another say 6 MP to the sensor, will these lenses still be adequate? Or is it likely that Canon will have to come out with a whole new lineup of lenses? For example, the DF 100-400 is probably due for an upgrade as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's going to depend on what you're shooting (long or wide, landscapes or portraits etc). From my experience shooting hyperfocal landscapes, canon's wide L zooms (17-40, 24-70 wide end) don't cut it on the 1ds2 let alone on a 22mp chip.

From the reviews the new 16-35II seems comparable to the 17-40 which is dissapointing given the expected arrival of the mark 3 this year. I haven't tested a 16-35II mysef though so all third hand info.

But YMMV.

framah

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 05:48:29 pm »

I think a Lens Baby will help here.    
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jeffok

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 08:42:20 pm »

It's going to depend on what you're shooting (long or wide, landscapes or portraits etc). From my experience shooting hyperfocal landscapes, canon's wide L zooms (17-40, 24-70 wide end) don't cut it on the 1ds2 let alone on a 22mp chip.

From the reviews the new 16-35II seems comparable to the 17-40 which is dissapointing given the expected arrival of the mark 3 this year. I haven't tested a 16-35II mysef though so all third hand info.

But YMMV.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I shoot landscapes and nature photography. So I need an oustanding wide angle, sharp and contrasty. I could consider a prime but not sure if any are that much better optically than the 16-35 II zoom. I was going to purchase the TSE-24 but it is not sharp enough, perhaps neither is the 45 esp for 16MP and up. The 24-105 seems to get rave reviews and it is a versatile range. At the long end, there is not much in the zooms that would make the grade- the 100-400 is very mediocre from what I read. Maybe I should consider a zeiss with a converter but I would rather have autofocus and so I hope Canon will come out with some new glass soon....

stever

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:04 pm »

check out the 16-9 reviews of the 16-35 II and primes with adapters

the 24-105 is an excellent lens overall, but the wide end is not it's strong point

before dropping big bucks on a lens to use with a high resolution camera, i'd want to test the lens on the camera

i use my 100-400 a lot with the 20D and make very good 13x19 prints - but find that the long end is not worth the trouble on my 5D - from my experience, the 300 2.8 is the least expensive long lens that uses the resolution of a full-frame sensor to good advantage

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:07:58 pm »

I would wait.

Your Pentax will do just fine another 6 months.

There might be another options but the 1ds3 by then. Nikon and Pentax come to my mind.

Regards,
Bernard

macgyver

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:27:46 pm »

From what I've read a stabelizing lens is a lot of hype. LOL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IS is crazy helpful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:53:14 am by macgyver »

francois

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:12:04 am »

.... From what I've read a stabelizing lens is a lot of hype. LOL

Non-sense, you must be kidding.

Francois

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:23:30 am »

so I am strongly leaning toward buying a Rebel XTi that I can use until the big Canon appears, and then use it as a backup camera after that.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pick up a used XT or 20D as you can find them very cheap.

jeffok

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:54:43 pm »

check out the 16-9 reviews of the 16-35 II and primes with adapters

the 24-105 is an excellent lens overall, but the wide end is not it's strong point

before dropping big bucks on a lens to use with a high resolution camera, i'd want to test the lens on the camera

i use my 100-400 a lot with the 20D and make very good 13x19 prints - but find that the long end is not worth the trouble on my 5D - from my experience, the 300 2.8 is the least expensive long lens that uses the resolution of a full-frame sensor to good advantage
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info... but what is "16-9 reviews"?? Is this a website?

jeffok

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 09:01:19 pm »

I would wait.

Your Pentax will do just fine another 6 months.

There might be another options but the 1ds3 by then. Nikon and Pentax come to my mind.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Bernard. I still like the "old lady' Pentax 67.
I ordered a XTi/400D and a 24-105 to tide me over till a camera and lens combination appear that meet my digital needs. The Pentax MF camera that never was would have been ideal as I could have got a 67-645 adapter and used my fine 67 lenses on it. Oh well. maybe Hoya will revive the project but I'm not holding my breath. As for Nikon, can you really see them coming out with something to compete with a 22MP Canon?

I see you are in Japan. I lived there until two years ago. Some of my work from my time there is on my site at www.insightscapes.com

Jeff

stever

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:53:37 am »

yes, search for 16:9, sorry about the mistake

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 10:58:33 pm »

Thanks Bernard. I still like the "old lady' Pentax 67.
I ordered a XTi/400D and a 24-105 to tide me over till a camera and lens combination appear that meet my digital needs. The Pentax MF camera that never was would have been ideal as I could have got a 67-645 adapter and used my fine 67 lenses on it. Oh well. maybe Hoya will revive the project but I'm not holding my breath. As for Nikon, can you really see them coming out with something to compete with a 22MP Canon?

I see you are in Japan. I lived there until two years ago. Some of my work from my time there is on my site at www.insightscapes.com

Jeff
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Jeff,

Congratulation on your new camera. I am sure that it will serve you well.

I personnally find the D2x to be already a superior tool compared to a 1ds2/5D for landscape applications and have no doubt whatsoever that Nikon's next flag ship camera will be best in class. I know that few people around here will ever acknowledge this, but more power for me if the competition decides to settle for inferior equipment.

Thanks for the link to your site, some very nice images there. Here are some of mines:

[a href=\"http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/collections/72157600276125630/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlangui...57600276125630/[/url]

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:10:18 pm by BernardLanguillier »

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 11:03:57 am »

Get a Contax N 17-35mm 2.8 and have the mount modified to fit EOS: $2100 + $700. You'll be happy, and broke . I have been very happy with the Leica 21-35 + adapter, but it's the ol' the stop-down metering routine.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Akiss

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 07:26:12 am »

I have the 400d as a back up for my 1Ds mkII and I think the best lens for that camera is the 17-40L/f4. It will come handy after also when the new canon will come. If it will ever come??????????
[url=http://www.akissparaskevopoulos.com

jeffok

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:45 am »

I have the 400d as a back up for my 1Ds mkII and I think the best lens for that camera is the 17-40L/f4. It will come handy after also when the new canon will come. If it will ever come??????????
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I checked 16:9 and other lens sites- the 17-40 certainly performs extremely well for a very reasonable price. However, there seems to be some question as to whether it could resolve a 22 MP sensor. Even the 16-35 II has an improvement in corner sharpness but is it up to a 22 MP sensor??

I'm torn between these two lenses at the moment. So I think I am going to take Bernard's advice and wait for the camera. Maybe Canon will come out with a few new or revised lenses to coincide with the MkIII debut. Will we see a 17-40 Mark II???

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 01:21:44 am »

I would shy away from the 17-40 for a FF sensor, butr maybe I just had a really bad sample ...

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up