Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct tripod height vs. my height  (Read 4978 times)

PixelPeeper

Correct tripod height vs. my height
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:56:38 pm »

Hello.  I'm 5'8" (68 inches) and am looking to get a CF tripod.  I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Gitzo 3530
Gitzo 3530S
Gitzo 3530LSV

I'm leaning towards the Systematic because it has the levelling bubble and it seems to just have more flexibility.  The 3530 was my first choice, but after finding out that it's not part of their Systematic series, I was hesitant (even though I'm still not sure what Systematic means).  

So....it looks like the 3530LSV is in the lead now, but I'm worried it might be too tall for me.  Doing the math, I figure the height of the camera's viewfinder will be:
58.3 inches (tripod)
+
4 inches (ArcaSwiss Z1)
+
4-6 inches (Canon 5D with/without grip)

= 67 inches or so.  

That seems to high to me because it means that it will be at the top of my head, right?  Please correct me if I'm missing something.  

Thanks.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:52:12 pm »

The Gitzo Mountaineer series tripods work fine (I have the older 1348 model which is a workhorse) so don't let Systematic versus Mountaineer be a deciding factor.

I personally prefer a tripod whose maximum height (with camera) is above eye level.  This gives you more flexibility especially when working on slopes (more length on the downhill side) and for those times you are shooting overhead.

Paul

francois

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:44:36 am »

...I personally prefer a tripod whose maximum height (with camera) is above eye level.  This gives you more flexibility especially when working on slopes (more length on the downhill side) and for those times you are shooting overhead.
I totally agree with you, unless one shoots only on level grounds, the additional height is invaluable.
Francois

PixelPeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 06:00:35 pm »

The Gitzo Mountaineer series tripods work fine (I have the older 1348 model which is a workhorse) so don't let Systematic versus Mountaineer be a deciding factor.

I personally prefer a tripod whose maximum height (with camera) is above eye level.  This gives you more flexibility especially when working on slopes (more length on the downhill side) and for those times you are shooting overhead.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been trying to find out the main difference between Mountaineer and Systematic series, but even the Gitzo website has limited info.  I'm hoping someone here has seen both the 3530 and the 3530S.

LA30

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:18:00 pm »

Systematic= Heavy and Expensive.

ken

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:26:57 pm »

Longer the better.  You can make it shorter, but you can't make it longer if you underbuy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up