Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for advice and suggestion for trip  (Read 6996 times)

TDR

Request for advice and suggestion for trip
« on: June 04, 2007, 10:09:44 am »

Hi everyone!
I'm planning a trip to Colorado, Springs  from Malaysia this early august till mid of August, about a week or so.

I'm planning to go to National Teton Park first and spend about 2 to 3 days there then move on to National Yellowstone park.

I love to take Landscapes especially sunrise and sunset. I'm looking to maximize my time in getting these shots. So I was wondering what would be the optimal plan to follow?

My plans will be like this

1.Leave Colorado springs and head for Teton park (driving)
2.Spend a few days there for some great landscape shoot,
3.head to Yellowstone for some great landscape shoot and wildlife shoot
4.then come back to Colorado springs.

I know there are a lot of other location within the state of Colorado but I'm not familiar with any of these locations and I'm worried that if I go to those locations instead of the famous ones, I would miss out on some great chances for landscape photo taking.

Can anyone suggest other location that are closer and better then Yellowstone/Teton?

RonBoyd

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:36:20 am »

You do know that the Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park are in Wyoming and not in Colorado, don't you? (Well, Okay, they do spill over into Idaho and Montana.)

The fastest route from Colorado Springs to the center of Yellowstone National Park through the Tetons and back to CSP would be about 1,250 miles (2,012 Kilometers) -- about two and a half days of driving time. The "scenic" route would be much longer. That doesn't seem very "optimal" to me... well, not for photography any way.

Ron
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:37:43 am by RonBoyd »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

TDR

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:45:32 am »

You do know that the Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park are in Wyoming and not in Colorado, don't you? (Well, Okay, they do spill over into Idaho and Montana.)

The fastest route from Colorado Springs to the center of Yellowstone National Park through the Tetons and back to CSP would be about 1,250 miles (2,012 Kilometers) -- about two and a half days of driving time. The "scenic" route would be much longer. That doesn't seem very "optimal" to me... well, not for photography any way.

Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From my understanding it's about 8~9 drive to Teton park and yes I do know its in Wyoming and not in Colorado but then heck I'm from malaysia and to pass up a chance to visit the world's greatest national park even if its about 8~9 hours away?! MADNESS?! This is PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!!!  

Who knows when I'll ever get a chance like to to be so close(relatively speaking) again?

TDR

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:48:25 am »

Try this:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=16345

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info, but I'll be going early August and not September. I'll only have about a week and not weeks.

RonBoyd

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:39:38 am »

From my understanding it's about 8~9 drive to Teton park and yes I do know its in Wyoming and not in Colorado but then heck I'm from malaysia and to pass up a chance to visit the world's greatest national park even if its about 8~9 hours away?! MADNESS?! This is PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!!!  

Who knows when I'll ever get a chance like to to be so close(relatively speaking) again?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, so that's averaging about 78 miles per hour (126 kph)... a lot of it mountainous. I am impressed.

In any event, you are correct. Yellowstone and the Tetons are too wonderful (photographically speaking) to pass up -- particularly, Yellowstone National Park. While Colorado and/or Utah (Arches National Park, for instance) both have many areas of great photographical interest, Yellowstone can easily trump them all because of its uniqueness.

My only point was that basing yourself in Colorado Springs will mean a lot of non-photography time (about half of your week -- my estimate) dedicated solely to driving. (I am assuming, of course, that your stay in CSP cannot be altered.)

BTW, I live in Denver. From experience, I know that whatever you do, you will not be disappointed.

Ron

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:22:36 pm »

If you don't have the time---I'd take an air flight instead.  There is much to be said about "hit-and-run" landscape photography.....It's still all-good......

TDR

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:33:21 pm »

Okay, so that's averaging about 78 miles per hour (126 kph)... a lot of it mountainous. I am impressed.

In any event, you are correct. Yellowstone and the Tetons are too wonderful (photographically speaking) to pass up -- particularly, Yellowstone National Park. While Colorado and/or Utah (Arches National Park, for instance) both have many areas of great photographical interest, Yellowstone can easily trump them all because of its uniqueness.

My only point was that basing yourself in Colorado Springs will mean a lot of non-photography time (about half of your week -- my estimate) dedicated solely to driving. (I am assuming, of course, that your stay in CSP cannot be altered.)

BTW, I live in Denver. From experience, I know that whatever you do, you will not be disappointed.

Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're right, I can't change my stay at Colorado Spring. If I could I go to Wyoming!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:14:44 am »

Thanks for the info, but I'll be going early August and not September. I'll only have about a week and not weeks.

Maybe I misread your request, but I thought you were asking for locations in Colorado to photograph.  I don't imagine they're going to move much!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 03:03:36 am »

Can you not fly from Colorado Springs to Jackson Hole?  Pick up a rental car there?

You will need at least 4 days in Yellowstone just to see the place, never mind spend time taking half decent photos. Add Tetons to that and you have very little of your week left for driving.

I would also suggest confirming your Yellowstone accommodation now. My recent experience has been that if one did not book at least 6-9 months in advance there was nothing available.
Regards, HILTON

jerrygrasso96

• http://www.jerrygrassophotos.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 12:08:19 pm »

Hey, don't forget about a visit to the "Garden of the Gods" in Colorado Springs. If you have some wait time before your return flight, it is 20 mins from the airport and very pretty there, too.
---jerry
 [url=http://www.jerrygrassophot

dqniel

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 01:49:03 pm »

Hey, don't forget about a visit to the "Garden of the Gods" in Colorado Springs. If you have some wait time before your return flight, it is 20 mins from the airport and very pretty there, too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was there last summer, but only drove through on my way from the Great Sand Dunes back to Denver airport.  I wish I had time to stop.

To the OP:

Make sure to do the Inspiration Point hike in the Tetons.  It overlooks Jenny Lake at about 7,000 feet if I remember correctly.  I haven't been there since I was about 6 or 7 and I can't wait to go back

TDR

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:41 pm »

Maybe I misread your request, but I thought you were asking for locations in Colorado to photograph.  I don't imagine they're going to move much!

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

nope, was just asking for advice or any good suggestion I should keep in mind when I go there this August to avoid any pitfalls

TDR

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:41:45 pm »

If you don't have the time---I'd take an air flight instead.  There is much to be said about "hit-and-run" landscape photography.....It's still all-good......

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like a good idea but I've seen the cost of flights there....too cost prohibitive

TDR

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:57 pm »

Can you not fly from Colorado Springs to Jackson Hole?  Pick up a rental car there?

You will need at least 4 days in Yellowstone just to see the place, never mind spend time taking half decent photos. Add Tetons to that and you have very little of your week left for driving.

I would also suggest confirming your Yellowstone accommodation now. My recent experience has been that if one did not book at least 6-9 months in advance there was nothing available.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I've already handled the accommodation part. Boy its pricey! but hell worth it if I can get some great shots!

TDR

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:43:46 pm »

I was there last summer, but only drove through on my way from the Great Sand Dunes back to Denver airport.  I wish I had time to stop.

To the OP:

Make sure to do the Inspiration Point hike in the Tetons.  It overlooks Jenny Lake at about 7,000 feet if I remember correctly.  I haven't been there since I was about 6 or 7 and I can't wait to go back
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!     I'll keep that in mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up