Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions - printing from Lightroom  (Read 3770 times)

Alistair

Newbie Questions - printing from Lightroom
« on: June 02, 2007, 05:56:38 pm »

Hi there,

I am going to try some none-Epson papers (Ilford Smooth Pearl) in my trusty old Epson 2100/2200. I have downloaded the appropriate profile from the Ilford site and put it in the appropriate place on my MS XP-equipped PC. I am printing from Lightroom.

My questions concern where I select the profile from.

1) In Lightroom I get the option to "Manage by Printer" or "Other". If I select "Other" I can see the profiles in the profile folder and can select one and away I go. If I do that will I risk double profiling?

2) Alternatively if I choose "Manage by Printer", how do I get the printer driver to recognise the 3rd party profiles? I have the 2100 and the driver does not appear to have an option for this.

3) Finally, what option do I choose under "Rendering Intent" in Lightroom; "Perceptual" or "Relative". What do these options actually do?

As always, all responses appreciated.

Alistair
Alistair

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 12:01:56 pm »

1 & 2 : You want to use #1 method (ie choose a custom printer profile). In your OS print dialog, you need to turn color management OFF. Failing to do that will give you double color- management.

Using "Manage by Printer" mehtod doesn't use custom printer profiles. If, by accident, you have double color management, then you'll see it in a split second on your prints, believe me.

3: Rendering intent > read this discussion.

You can also purchase Andrew Rodney's excellent book on the subject or visit his website.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:03:58 pm by francois »
Francois

Alistair

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:54:30 pm »

Many thanks francois for the assistance. I will read those links too with interest.
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up