Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignore subfolders  (Read 2762 times)

inomine

Ignore subfolders
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:58:48 am »

A friend's father recently raised an interesting issue with Lightroom. How do you get it to not show images that are subfolders of the folder that you are currently in. So if he has a folder for example called UK, which then has folders Manchester, London and so on, if he clicks on UK he will get all of the photos from all these images under UK, Manchester and London displayed all together. This causes an issue because there photos that live just inside UK are then impossible to find. Does anyone have a solution, a workaround or knows if Adobe will be addressing this? Many thanks.

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Ignore subfolders
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:38:10 am »

A friend's father recently raised an interesting issue with Lightroom. How do you get it to not show images that are subfolders of the folder that you are currently in. So if he has a folder for example called UK, which then has folders Manchester, London and so on, if he clicks on UK he will get all of the photos from all these images under UK, Manchester and London displayed all together. This causes an issue because there photos that live just inside UK are then impossible to find. Does anyone have a solution, a workaround or knows if Adobe will be addressing this? Many thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120779\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, I don´t particularly like this either, for the reasons you describe, although I can see some sort of logic in it.  The long term (?) solution might be to have a subfolder called "Others" to catch images from, say Bristol, Bath or Nottingham in your example.

A way to catch these "others" in an already existing folder might be to open one subfolder after another, select all images, and mark them with a previously unused colour label, say purple.  When you´re through, create an empty child folder in UK called "Others", then open the top folder (UK),  filter away all purple labeled ones, select all the remaining ones, drag them into "UK;Others", and finally remove the purple labels from them all again.  Not nearly as much work as it sounds, I add encouragingly....

That said, in your case I think you would find that hierarchically ordered keywords are a better solution than subfolders.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:44:54 am by Per Ofverbeck »
Per Ofverbeck
My

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Ignore subfolders
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 02:52:06 pm »

Adobe understand this problem, and I'm pretty hopeful it will be addressed before too long.

John

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Ignore subfolders
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 05:33:54 pm »

The betas had a checkbox to do this but they didn't include it in 1.0. Maybe it will come back in the update.

perekaris

Ignore subfolders
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:51 am »

There's a menu item in the Library module: Library > Include Photos from Subitems.

Clearing the tick agains that does exactly what you're trying to do, but be warned, if all your pics are in the sub folders, Manchester, London etc, then the top folder, England, will appear empty and greyed out, but you might regret deleting it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up