Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Arizona Road Trip  (Read 3377 times)

AjKaz11

Northern Arizona Road Trip
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:46:24 pm »

A friend and I, based in the LA area, want to do a photography trip to North and South Rim, and Antelope Canyon. I am VERY open to suggestions.

My initial idea was to

-leave on a Sunday night, to get to South Rim for the Monday morning sunrise, spend the day there, and shoot the sunset.

-Then head up and do Antelope Canyon for the next day.

-Then the next day drive down for North Rim for sunrise, stay the day for the sunset, and possibly spend the night for another sunrise.

Any suggestions as to the planning of this, or other locations to include that are within reasonable distance while I'm at it? Ideally it would be a 3-5 day trip.

Thanks for any help!

qball

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:00:50 am »

A friend and I, based in the LA area, want to do a photography trip to North and South Rim, and Antelope Canyon. I am VERY open to suggestions.
My initial idea was to

-leave on a Sunday night, to get to South Rim for the Monday morning sunrise, spend the day there, and shoot the sunset.

-Then head up and do Antelope Canyon for the next day.

-Then the next day drive down for North Rim for sunrise, stay the day for the sunset, and possibly spend the night for another sunrise.
Any suggestions as to the planning of this, or other locations to include that are within reasonable distance while I'm at it? Ideally it would be a 3-5 day trip.
Thanks for any help!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Seems like a tight fit, if you spend the night at Grand canyon-after the sunset, it would be tight time wise getting up and in Antelope by 11am the following day-which I feel is about the only time to get into the Page slot-I recommend the Lower slot

redneckphoto

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »

On the day that you plan to do Antelope Canyon drive North toward Kanab and call in at the Paria Ranger Station. They have a lottery for permits to the North Paria wilderness area. This is where 'The Wave' is located. The office opens at 8:30 with the draw at 9am (these are Utah DST times, so 7:30 and 8am in Az). The permits are for the following day. If you get a permit then skip North Rim and photograph the Wave on the next day. If you don't get a permit, then you can still go to the North Rim. When you're back in Page go straight to the Lower Antelope Canyon before going to the Upper Antelope Canyon.

If you don't know much about 'the Wave' then do an image search on Google or Yahoo. It's awesome!

Daryl - Red Deer, AB
Daryl - Red Deer

lefturn99

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:29:37 pm »

Antelope Canyon is best at mid day (shafts of light and all). Normal tours are 45 minutes but you can pay more and do the unguided 2 hour "photographer's" thing. worth the money. don't take the tour from town like I did - just drive out and take the short ride. Would be better on a weekday. Well worth the time.

Don't forget Horseshoe Bend and be sure to take a wide len. My 17 on a 30D was barely adequate. Wider would be better.

Have fun.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:15:45 am »

If you want to see a Slot Cyn try Canyon X.  This will cost much more however you'll be in a group of no more than 4-6 people and you'll be there the entire day.  I've been to both and enjoy X much more due to the total lack of people and yes there's a sunbeam in X as well.  Overlan Tours is the only tour company allowed entry into this canyon.  Do a Google for both Canyon X and Overland Tours.

I second Horseshoe Bend - go as wide as you can.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up