Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D-39 and SanDisk Extreme IV 8 GB  (Read 7920 times)

rob3rt5

H3D-39 and SanDisk Extreme IV 8 GB
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:43:39 am »

I just purchased three SanDisk Extreme IV 8 GB cards for a shoot in Hawai'i and briefly tested to see if they worked before I left- everything seemed fine.  When I got to the location I began setting up and popped the cards into the camera to do a white balance and a few histograms test shots.  After the first shot I recieved an "internal error" "ERROR 9016" on the screen after a few seconds and the camera froze there until I removed the battery.
When I promptly contacted Hasselblad about this issue they said it wasn't the camera's fault "this is a flash card issue.  Try shooting with another card."  Sure enough, after inserting another card (Lexar 2 GB Platinum II and later a SanDisk Extreme III 2 GB) the camera worked beautifly.
And so I called SanDisk after searching their not-so-friendly user help section and was told that they had never heard of my camera make, it was not on the recommended compatability chart (despite the fact that the H-series camera is pictured in profile on the card's shipping package), and that they would eventually get back to me on the issue despite the fact that their "Compatability Lab" didn't have any "Hasselblaids" on hand to address my concerns.  

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a fix or am I stuck with $600.00 worth of bogus cards?  What do I do now?
Nikon D810

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:07:40 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 02:08:51 am by Willow Photography »
Willow Photography

Martin Phillips

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:19:31 am »

Hi

Sorry i can't be more help than to say that I have no problem at all with my cards and camera.

I am sure you formatted the cards in the Hasselblad and...?

Martin

Cfranson

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

Hasselblad has a known issue when going from DMA to UDMA (Sandisk Extreme III to Extreme IV, for instance) CF cards which can cause errors and image loss. We strongly recommend for our customers to always reformat the cards in the camera.
Error 9016 is either a read or write error; 9011 is its opposite, and I don't remember which is which.
Did the cards work after formatting?

rob3rt5

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 10:41:57 am »

Hasselblad has a known issue when going from DMA to UDMA (Sandisk Extreme III to Extreme IV, for instance) CF cards which can cause errors and image loss. We strongly recommend for our customers to always reformat the cards in the camera.
Error 9016 is either a read or write error; 9011 is its opposite, and I don't remember which is which.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No...the cards alwys give the same error even after being formatted in the camera.
Nikon D810

rob3rt5

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:44:20 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I even reformatted the cards a few times in a row to see if that would work....same internal error!
Nikon D810

Cfranson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:45:33 am »

No...the cards alwys give the same error even after being formatted in the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've used Extreme IV cards (though only 4GB) on the H3D-39 without issue. Be sure also that you are running the latest Flexcolor and have updated the camera's firmware by tethering it to the computer at least once. The current version on the website as of right now is 4.6.7.
If that does not help, then yes, Sandisk should replace the cards.

rob3rt5

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:47:14 am »

Hi

Sorry i can't be more help than to say that I have no problem at all with my cards and camera.

I am sure you formatted the cards in the Hasselblad and...?

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I formatted the cards in the camera.  I still get an internal error. As a matter of fact, I always reformat cards when inserting them and begin a shoot.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:48:27 am by rob3rt5 »
Nikon D810

rob3rt5

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 10:50:09 am »

I've used Extreme IV cards (though only 4GB) on the H3D-39 without issue. Be sure also that you are running the latest Flexcolor and have updated the camera's firmware by tethering it to the computer at least once. The current version on the website as of right now is 4.6.7.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also thought about updates to the camera and tethered the camera...same error- on all three cards.
Nikon D810

rob3rt5

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:23 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm useing Flexcolor 4.6.7 and the camera's firmware is 196
Nikon D810

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

It can easily be the CF card that is faulty!! Just mail it back for a replacement.....I never had the problem with my 4GB extreme IV scandisk cards...but with my 2GB lexar cards I had this issue 2 times (different BRAND NEW card, purchased 3 months or so apart).

It is frustrating...especially when this happens on a job! But it happens....better this way than shooting film and getting a black contact sheet and black negatives back AFTER a photoshoot, because then you are really screwed...now it is just very very annoying. Don't you love digital photography!!!

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 05:31:07 pm »

Sounds like a bad card.

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 11:37:41 am »

I just purchased three SanDisk Extreme IV 8 GB cards for a shoot in Hawai'i and briefly tested to see if they worked before I left- everything seemed fine.  When I got to the location I began setting up and popped the cards into the camera to do a white balance and a few histograms test shots.  After the first shot I recieved an "internal error" "ERROR 9016" on the screen after a few seconds and the camera froze there until I removed the battery.
When I promptly contacted Hasselblad about this issue they said it wasn't the camera's fault "this is a flash card issue.  Try shooting with another card."  Sure enough, after inserting another card (Lexar 2 GB Platinum II and later a SanDisk Extreme III 2 GB) the camera worked beautifly.
And so I called SanDisk after searching their not-so-friendly user help section and was told that they had never heard of my camera make, it was not on the recommended compatability chart (despite the fact that the H-series camera is pictured in profile on the card's shipping package), and that they would eventually get back to me on the issue despite the fact that their "Compatability Lab" didn't have any "Hasselblaids" on hand to address my concerns. 

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a fix or am I stuck with $600.00 worth of bogus cards?  What do I do now?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mine works just fine. I use both P45 on Contax and H3D39 with H3, obviously, and Extreme IV 8G and Extreme III 16G, not once a problem. The only thing I found was that when you insert a fresh Extreme III 16 card into H3D39 the camera gave a warning of the "error" but once it was formatted, it just works. And both IV 8G and III 16G works on my 1Ds MK2 as well, even without needing to reformat.

rob3rt5

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:33:48 am »

Mine works just fine. I use both P45 on Contax and H3D39 with H3, obviously, and Extreme IV 8G and Extreme III 16G, not once a problem. The only thing I found was that when you insert a fresh Extreme III 16 card into H3D39 the camera gave a warning of the "error" but once it was formatted, it just works. And both IV 8G and III 16G works on my 1Ds MK2 as well, even without needing to reformat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120910\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you all so much for your feedback.  I think I might be a bit more light about this issue if it were just one card but, it's three cards...I've contacted SanDisk and Hasselblad on this issue.  We'll see what comes of it.
Nikon D810
Pages: [1]   Go Up