Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft proofing / quality of calibration  (Read 2798 times)

DHDSP

Soft proofing / quality of calibration
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

the need for calibrating the monitor and the printer for consistant results is indisputed, that's why I bought the Printfixpro combination. Recently I upgraded my canon IP4000 to an Epson R2400, mainly for better B&W printing - and used the printer calibration for the first time.

After calibrating the monitor and the printer I expected to get prints that would match my monitor as good as possible... (I only used the most basic form of calibrating the printer: no additional corrections applied, no additional grayscale patches).

The result seen in softproofing shows big differences in brightness. Now is this a sign for bad calibration ? Or am I mixing up things ?

If this behaviour is normal, where do I start tweeking? Are there any workflows to get a correct correction? Printfix pro has the ability to reed the corrections from PS and adjust the ICC profile accordingly, but is this the right way?

TIA
Peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:22:38 pm »

Soft proofing is only as effective as the quality of the display and printer profiles generated. Then you have to properly setup the soft proof in Photoshop using the options such as Paper White/Ink Black (full screen mode, no palettes or menu's) and you have to control the lighting of the print to match this as well (illuminant and illuminant intensity to match display). There's a lot of little pieces that have to come together for you to get a truly good (90%) screen to print match but its doable. When there are issues, the problem is tracking down where they occur.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DHDSP

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:47:26 am »

Thank you for the reply.

But one question still remains: is the difference between the calibrated monitor view, and the view i see when using the printer profile for softproof, an indicator for bad calibration ?

As for the tweaking afterwards, I will take the BW testpicture included with printfixpro and will try to adjust the softproof to the monitor-view.

TIA
Peter

Soft proofing is only as effective as the quality of the display and printer profiles generated. Then you have to properly setup the soft proof in Photoshop using the options such as Paper White/Ink Black (full screen mode, no palettes or menu's) and you have to control the lighting of the print to match this as well (illuminant and illuminant intensity to match display). There's a lot of little pieces that have to come together for you to get a truly good (90%) screen to print match but its doable. When there are issues, the problem is tracking down where they occur.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:35 am »

Thank you for the reply.

But one question still remains: is the difference between the calibrated monitor view, and the view i see when using the printer profile for softproof, an indicator for bad calibration ?
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It could be (that's the most likely cause). But you're dealing with a pile of different profiles here. So it is going to take detective work on your part.

My first suggestion is to try a different printer profile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 10:00:05 am »

From the description, I'm not sure I quite understand what your problem really is, but if it is mainly about differences of perceived brightness between what you see on the monitor before softproofing (brighter) and what you see on the monitor after soft-proofing (duller) with "Simulate paper White" active , that is quite possibly normal and what you want - the soft proof is trying to mimic what the print will look like, and prints, especially matte ones, seen with reflected light will generally look duller than the monitor image, even with a good soft proof. Monitor light is direct transmitted light. You should make your final luminosity adjustments with the SoftProof active to get a print with the expected luminosity. What aggrvates this problem, especially if you are using an LCD, is that many people have their monitor brightness set much too high relative to what you would see on a print under normal viewing conditions. Turn the monitor brightness down to about 100 cd, recalibrate it and see whether that helps. The key thing you want to be sure of is that the soft-proof and the print look as close as possible alike allowing for some inherent difference due to the different kinds of lighting between monitors and prints. Also, the light under which you view the print makes a big difference. Ideally you want to be seeing the prints under Solux D-50 illumination. Hope this helps.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DHDSP

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:38:10 am »

Well, because of the printfx pro package (monitor+printer calibration) ,  I was hoping for a real good match between what I see on the monitor and the softproofed image (on the monitor).

After my first post I did an additional greypatch target. After doing a luminosity change , the print came out quite good. So I will just have to live with the imperfection of the system

Thanks for the help!

CU
Peter  

From the description, I'm not sure I quite understand what your problem really is, but if it is mainly about differences of perceived brightness between what you see on the monitor before softproofing (brighter) and what you see on the monitor after soft-proofing (duller) with "Simulate paper White" active , that is quite possibly normal and what you want - the soft proof is trying to mimic what the print will look like, and prints, especially matte ones, seen with reflected light will generally look duller than the monitor image, even with a good soft proof. Monitor light is direct transmitted light. You should make your final luminosity adjustments with the SoftProof active to get a print with the expected luminosity. What aggrvates this problem, especially if you are using an LCD, is that many people have their monitor brightness set much too high relative to what you would see on a print under normal viewing conditions. Turn the monitor brightness down to about 100 cd, recalibrate it and see whether that helps. The key thing you want to be sure of is that the soft-proof and the print look as close as possible alike allowing for some inherent difference due to the different kinds of lighting between monitors and prints. Also, the light under which you view the print makes a big difference. Ideally you want to be seeing the prints under Solux D-50 illumination. Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up