Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightshot in paris - Looking for some Comments  (Read 8244 times)

Marlyn

Nightshot in paris - Looking for some Comments
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:45 am »

Hi folks,

Would appreciate some comments on this night shot of the Louvre in Paris.
A most over-photographed spot to be sure, so interested in your take on my take :)

Palais Royal - Museee de Louvre

Canon 5D, 24mm T/S lens, ISO 100, 15s @ f8, Mirror Lockup and 2 second timer. (Tripod and bubble level of course).

Regards

Mark Farnan

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:26:44 am »

Hi folks,

A most over-photographed spot to be sure, so interested in your take on my take

Canon 5D, 24mm T/S lens, ISO 100, 15s @ f8, Mirror Lockup and 2 second timer. (Tripod and bubble level of course).
Regards

Mark Farnan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like it, but I'd like it more if you hadn't cut off the corners of the pool.

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

That's what I was thinking...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Marlyn

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:52:44 pm »

Fair enough, and I agree

Chopping them was deliberate as if I include them, it also adds more unwanted features, specifically the edges of the other side pyramides with their lights, 1/2 out of the frame.  (Note: Not saying it was correct ! as I agree it spoils it).

Catch 22 !.  Will ponder some more, and work some of the other shots I have from that night.

Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:41:53 pm by Marlyn »

Phuong

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

changing lens and lowering the point of view could do the trick
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:26:08 pm by Phuong »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:01:54 pm »

Hi folks,

A most over-photographed spot to be sure, so interested in your take on my take

Regards

Mark Farnan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

great color, symmetry, would like to see with uncut corners as others suggest but it doesn't bother me as is...i could see it cropped this way for a magazine article if used editorially...

it is curious that those three bars of light at the top of the pyramid are so strong in the reflection, did you do anything there in pp?...

M

Marlyn

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:13:26 am »

great color, symmetry, would like to see with uncut corners as others suggest but it doesn't bother me as is...i could see it cropped this way for a magazine article if used editorially...

it is curious that those three bars of light at the top of the pyramid are so strong in the reflection, did you do anything there in pp?...

M
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutley nothing to the lights.  I think its the angle, as they are pointing down at the top of the pyramid, so they shine onto the water I guess.

Processing:  The shot was taken as a 3 shot Pano using left and right shift on the 24mm T/S, opened directly in Photomerge in CS3, blended, cropped slightly top and bottom, couple bits of Dust cloned out, and converted to JPEG.    Pretty sure not even level adjusted actually as it was done fast when on the road.

As for the Crop, I reviewd some other shots and confirmed that yes, the crop there is deliberate.  The 'corners' arn't actually there, that left and right line keeps going out wider and wider as the pool beyond (slight gap between them) keeps going.  At some point that line has to be cropped, or the frame would of been MUCH wider.

That being said, shouldn't have to 'explain' a photo really, so need to think what to do the tidy up those edges some I think. Maybe darken them down / burn in the foreground to loose the edge of the pool ?

Random thoughts.

Mark

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:01:38 pm »

I like it just the way it is. No re-cropping or explanation necessary.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 02:16:58 pm »

Absolutley nothing to the lights.  I think its the angle, as they are pointing down at the top of the pyramid, so they shine onto the water I guess.

Processing:  The shot was taken as a 3 shot Pano using left and right shift on the 24mm T/S, opened directly in Photomerge in CS3, blended, cropped slightly top and bottom, couple bits of Dust cloned out, and converted to JPEG.    Pretty sure not even level adjusted actually as it was done fast when on the road.

As for the Crop, I reviewd some other shots and confirmed that yes, the crop there is deliberate.  The 'corners' arn't actually there, that left and right line keeps going out wider and wider as the pool beyond (slight gap between them) keeps going.  At some point that line has to be cropped, or the frame would of been MUCH wider.

That being said, shouldn't have to 'explain' a photo really, so need to think what to do the tidy up those edges some I think. Maybe darken them down / burn in the foreground to loose the edge of the pool ?

Random thoughts.

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi mark, no explanation necessary...and i feel like you don't need to change anything...i was curious only about those three lines in the reflection...an odd light thing while the rest of the image becomes gently diffused in the water...play with it if you want but man, it's a nice image as is...

M

Neil Hunt

• http://neilhuntphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:00:34 pm »

I like it as it is too - especially the great colour in the sky which works well with the buildings. Tough one to print though perhaps.
Neil.
 [url=http://neilhuntphotography.co
Pages: [1]   Go Up