Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Bridge--Camera RAW Preferences? Where?  (Read 10482 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
CS3 Bridge--Camera RAW Preferences? Where?
« on: May 31, 2007, 04:31:48 am »

I've been reading all over the internet that there are things missing from many build versions of CS3 Bridge.

I may have a currupt install, or I need to reload my entire machine--other problems non Adobe related--but I cannot get EDIT>CAMERA RAW PREFERENCES to show up in Bride under EDIT.

Can anyone check their install and let me know if you can find that option--or where to find it--lol?

I've installed and uninstalled about 50 million programs including CS3 Beta and CS2, and I think I also have corrupted partition tables--not going to explain how I know this though.

So if I can't get this figured out, I'm going to do a full ground up FDISK repartiion / format reload. I was trying to wait till VISTA came out with its SP2, but it looks like now I'll have to relaod with XP SP2 and then once again when Vista comes out with it's service packs too.

But, if the problem persists on teh clean install, that's going to piss me off. So if you can, please check and see if you can call up--somehow--RAW Preferences.

dwdallam

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:33:42 pm »

This problem has been fixed with the new bridge patch now availalbe on Adobe's website--as of today. Preferences are back.

CS 3 is a BETA work in my opinion. Adobe really flunked this upgrade.

I would suggest to people to stay with CS2 for another six months or so at least.

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:58:08 pm »

This problem has been fixed with the new bridge patch now availalbe on Adobe's website--as of today. Preferences are back.

CS 3 is a BETA work in my opinion. Adobe really flunked this upgrade.
I would suggest to people to stay with CS2 for another six months or so at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered.  A real bummer.
But CS3 and ACR 4.1 is flat out incredible. The new Bridge - and the slideshow at 100% view is awesome.

I have been looking back at all my old raw files from vacations past. Seeing the detail in Bridge Slideshow (at a full 100% instead of the dud view from Bridge CS2) is almost like seeing the pictures for the first time.

Waiting for 6 months is bad advice as almost everything is far, far better than CS2, the old Bridge and ACR 3.x.
I would strongly recommend CS3 to everyone.  It is ready and spectacular.

dwdallam

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:06:40 am »

Sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered.  A real bummer.
But CS3 and ACR 4.1 is flat out incredible. The new Bridge - and the slideshow at 100% view is awesome.

I have been looking back at all my old raw files from vacations past. Seeing the detail in Bridge Slideshow (at a full 100% instead of the dud view from Bridge CS2) is almost like seeing the pictures for the first time.

Waiting for 6 months is bad advice as almost everything is far, far better than CS2, the old Bridge and ACR 3.x.
I would strongly recommend CS3 to everyone.  It is ready and spectacular.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I assume that CS3 PHOTOSHOP is fine, and RAW 4.1 is too. And I think CS3 RAW version is incredible. But I didn;t say wait 6 months for Photoshop only. Bridge is buggy. Google it and you will hear horror stories. Case in point, there was no Raw Peferences in Bridge until the new bridge patch came out yesterday. That's a pretty big oversight for a non beta software.

There are issues with other CS3 products also, such as Illustrator. From what I have experienced and read on CS3, it's bugggy in many of its iterations, overall, with perhaps PS and RAW being the exception.

Google CS3 Bridge and read the war stories.

If youa hve survived the last three eyars wiht CS2 and thought your workflow was okay, then I doubt another six months will kill anyone--and there will be patches.

And jsut for an example, there was a computer programmer who works for Microsoft and has worked for other large software companies, plus ahving his Master's Degree in IT and CS saying that he has ran tests on CS# and found it to be very poorly programmed in many areas, mainly Bridge. His arguments were clear and factual--thumbnail redraw times, hanging on exits, refusing to start, color problems in Vista (pretty scary), etc. His concusion was that Adobe was farming out much more programming than it has in the past, and it got done very sloppy, thus the bugs in Bridge.

But that is all academic. Google and read for yourselves, and then make up your mind when you wish to upgrade. Try "CS3 Vista" as key words.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:37:08 pm »

Case in point, there was no Raw Peferences in Bridge until the new bridge patch came out yesterday. That's a pretty big oversight for a non beta software.

Wasn't a problem on _MY_ install. Don't presume that YOUR problems are not NOT just YOUR problems...

His concusion was that Adobe was farming out much more programming than it has in the past, and it got done very sloppy, thus the bugs in Bridge.

Then his conclusion would be faulty...Adobe does very little outsourcing...far less than most companies. The fact is that Bridge 2 arguably tried to do too much "new stuff" including massive under the hood changes, playing videos and previewing all sorts of new file types and additional speedups using GPU-which can break very easy due to card drivers. No, Bridge 2.0 wasn't done...but now there's Bridge 2.1 released before the end of Adobe's Q2 not unlike the way they had to release Bridge 1.0.1 within the quarter after Bridge 1.0.0 hit the streets.

dwdallam

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:37:50 am »

Wasn't a problem on _MY_ install. Don't presume that YOUR problems are not NOT just YOUR problems...
Then his conclusion would be faulty...Adobe does very little outsourcing...far less than most companies. The fact is that Bridge 2 arguably tried to do too much "new stuff" including massive under the hood changes, playing videos and previewing all sorts of new file types and additional speedups using GPU-which can break very easy due to card drivers. No, Bridge 2.0 wasn't done...but now there's Bridge 2.1 released before the end of Adobe's Q2 not unlike the way they had to release Bridge 1.0.1 within the quarter after Bridge 1.0.0 hit the streets.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, he actually said it was sloppy programming from within and without, but of course he has no idea about that. He does know what sloppy programming is and how it acts, like threading that is so sloppily done so as to affect thumbnail creation speeds and hangs on exits. His conclusion was that it was sloppy programming. I'm not ging to argue his point any furhter becsaue if youa re truly interested, you do the research.

Also, the fact that it was OK on your copy doesn't mean that others are not having problems with it that the new patch fixed. In fact, I offered to you as proof researching done using the Google saerch engine--and even on Adobe's own forums. The newest releases of the program may have fixes, but teh earlier iterations had some pretty hard core troubles. This isn't my "opinion" either. Google is a treasure trove of evidence in this respect. I suggest you use it to buttress your "runs fine" position.

Samotano

• http://flickr.com/photos/97538742@N00/sets/72157603392490862/
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:11:49 am »

It was a problem on my install! To the point it made Bridge CS3 nearly useless.  While I appreciate the improvements, my own experience and that of many other users who share the same problems have been a negative one.  A quick non-random glimpse at this section of the forum indicates 7 posts dealing with problems in Bridge CS3.  And that's just the first page!  The Adobe forum is filled with negative experiences with Bridge CS3. Most of the problems have to do with missing options, especially integration of Bridge CS3 w/ ACR, and general stability issues.

I cannot speculate as to the causes. I don't care whether or not portions of the project were outsourced. There is no such thing as perfect programming and I always expect some bugs.  But this is not version 1!  and the new patch just released did not solve my problems either.

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:14:15 am »

I suggest you use it to buttress your "runs fine" position.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never said that, did I? I said I didn't have an issue with Camera Raw prefences not being visible on my machine...(at one point I did after properly deleting the beta and installing the release version-I restarted Bridge and reset the preferences and they showed back up-troubleshooting 101).

Fact is I've been USING the Bridge 2.1 version in beta form since before Bridge 2.0 shipped...(just like I used Bridge 1.0.1 before the original 1.0.0 shipped) so I knew what was coming. But YOUR problem of not being able to access Camera Raw prefences was, I'm pretty sure, specific to YOUR machine and YOUR install of Bridge 2.0-cause other people COULD access their Camera Raw prefences...and that was not one of the main issues addressed by the 2.1 update.

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 01:16:48 am »

...and the new patch just released did not solve my problems either.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it won't help if you don't state what your problems are now, will it? Ya got problems...well, ok, try to help, but ya gotta give a bit more data.

dwdallam

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 02:56:37 am »

Well, it won't help if you don't state what your problems are now, will it? Ya got problems...well, ok, try to help, but ya gotta give a bit more data.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My point is proven beyond any argument, unless you are just bored and want to argue. I'm glad you don't have the preferences problewm, just heap that problem onto all of the others and you have very dubious programming in CS3 overall. Way too many people are having problems with Bridge and that fact is plastered all over the internet. There are also problems with color management in Vista, and that should really scare photographers and color conscious professionals.

When CS1 and CS2 came out, I read up on that too and there was NOTHING like this release as far as gross problems are concerned. I never had any problems with CS1 or 2--not one, and the overall responses that I read were positive and priased smooth operation. I mean Bridge hanging on exits, failing to launch when called to do so, and many people are getting the "Bridge has caused an error and must be shut down [debug] [close] dialog box.

So my main point was that many, many people are having much more trouble with this release than others,a nd even having stability issues and missing options. If you want to argue that, be my guest, but I'm unsubscribing. Have fun with it.

jwhee0615

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »

Ok where did the setting for opening up Raw inside Bridge go? I do not have an option in bridge under edit>Preferences>General to open camera raw in Bridge. I updated Bridge as well. Am I going crazy here or is it somewhere else? Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:30:32 pm by jwhee0615 »

jwhee0615

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 03:52:47 pm »

Apparently this is an ongoing problem per some users over on the Adobe forum.

Ok where did the setting for opening up Raw inside Bridge go? I do not have an option in bridge under edit>Preferences>General to open camera raw in Bridge. I updated Bridge as well. Am I going crazy here or is it somewhere else? Thanks for any help
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 07:50:53 pm »

I've noticed the same problem - no Preference button to open all RAW files from Bridge into ACR.  Looks to me as if files that have been opened before require a specific open-in-ACR command from the dropdown menu.

Will look on the forum as you suggested - hoping it contains an answer.

Kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up