Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low priced but reliable CIS for epson r2400  (Read 9369 times)

Dave_007

Low priced but reliable CIS for epson r2400
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:11 pm »

I am looking to get a continuous inking system for my epson r2400 printer. I have seen some of the ones offered by inkrepublic lyson and the like (all a bit pricey). I have also seen many other budget versions all over the web (from Amazon to ebay). My question is which of the budget CIS for the r2400 is known to be reliable. I take it that because they all look the same does not mean they all are of the same quality, so any guidance in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have noticed that many of these Chinese, European (and some American) CIS makers (such as Kyson) are touting a version of Epson’s k3 pigment inksets for the r2400 that they call the K4 (r-jettek a German company also has a version without the K4 name). Thus my second question is whether these K4 inks are all the same formula, and if not are any of them reliably close to the gamut of Epson’s K3 quality.  If so please point me in their direction (or post links).

As an aside, I have used r-jettek's bulk inks for HP printers with good result. Unless otherwise indicated by your comments they are my current fallback for bulk inks.

Thanks

Dave

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:43 am »

I am looking to get a continuous inking system for my epson r2400 printer. I have seen some of the ones offered by inkrepublic lyson and the like (all a bit pricey). I have also seen many other budget versions all over the web (from Amazon to ebay). My question is which of the budget CIS for the r2400 is known to be reliable. I take it that because they all look the same does not mean they all are of the same quality, so any guidance in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have noticed that many of these Chinese, European (and some American) CIS makers (such as Kyson) are touting a version of Epson’s k3 pigment inksets for the r2400 that they call the K4 (r-jettek a German company also has a version without the K4 name). Thus my second question is whether these K4 inks are all the same formula, and if not are any of them reliably close to the gamut of Epson’s K3 quality.  If so please point me in their direction (or post links).

As an aside, I have used r-jettek's bulk inks for HP printers with good result. Unless otherwise indicated by your comments they are my current fallback for bulk inks.

Thanks

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You will never find a Continuous Ink System that uses the kind of ink that the manufacturer has developed. Resist the urge, unless you don't care how long your prints lasts, or you laminate the prints ... because Wilhelm Research tests have shown conclusively that those third party inks are very inferior products, many lasting mere months and not years.

Dave_007

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:33 am »

Well ok,

So what's the hype about third party inks from Lyson, Pantone and the like which are touted as equivalent or even better in some instances than the original.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:05:34 am »

You will never find a Continuous Ink System that uses the kind of ink that the manufacturer has developed. Resist the urge, unless you don't care how long your prints lasts, or you laminate the prints ... because Wilhelm Research tests have shown conclusively that those third party inks are very inferior products, many lasting mere months and not years.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But what you can do is get a decent empty CIS system and buy the larger cartridges for the bigger Epsons (for the 9800, for example), and simply fill the CIS from the bigger cartridges. That way you are getting the same ink at a considerably lower price.

I have considered doing this for my 2200 (with ink for the 7600/9600), but haven't tried it yet.

I think MIS (http://http://www.inksupply.com/) sells empty CIS systems.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

martinog

• http://www.artesheila.com/foto.html
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:53:47 pm »

I've been using a CIS and 220ml carts for the 4000 with my 2200 for three and a half years and only had to replace one cart.
Very good economy

Martin

Dave_007

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:55 pm »

Ok, if i have it right you guys are recommending that i get the 9800 cartridge (or whichever matches the 2400 inkset) and empty it into the cis tank.

If so my question is how easy is that to do? In short is the juice worth the squeeze.

Dave

Tango_01

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:22:52 pm »

Ok, if i have it right you guys are recommending that i get the 9800 cartridge (or whichever matches the 2400 inkset) and empty it into the cis tank.

If so my question is how easy is that to do? In short is the juice worth the squeeze.

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had an Inkrepublic system which many say it's one of the best, or at least 'of the ones that work.

The problem with all CIS is the air bubbles!!  They are impossible to get rid of. I'm a handyman and I did a good installation, but every time I had to print there were missing lines or even a whole missing color. I had to do cleanings after cleanings.

I had a R1800 that like the R2400 has very small cartridges that last close to nothing, so I understand the need for a CIS on those printers.

I'm not saying don't go with a CIS. I'm just saying ask around for a system that best handles air bubbles. Or spend a lot of time sealing everything that can be prone to air leaks.

Also, whichever system you use, do install a waste tank because you will be pouring jars full of ink every week. If you let all that waste go into your printer it will die soon.

I hope I didn't discourage you too much..

Bests

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 12:50:59 pm »

Dave,

You may want to consider just selling your 2400 and going with a 3800.. I concluded it was the only reasonably economical way of getting small cut sheet capability in a quality pigment printer.  Ink savings will pay for the difference in price in a very short time.  And you have a printer that isn't much larger than a 2400 that will do up to 17x25 as well as your 4x6.  I have a 3800 next to my IPF5000 in the studio for small cut sheet work.   Been smiling every day since replacing the 2400 with a 3800.

Tony Bonanno
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:51:13 pm by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Dave_007

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

I've been considering the 3800 for a while now. I do mainly fine art photo work and the larger format will be helpful. Funny thing is that I had been using my HP 8750 and the epson, while out of the box and out of warranty, is unused and is still in it's shrink wrapper. I will look online and see what they are selling for. I have the printer 2 pantone colorvantage inksets, 2 oem inksets and a kyson cis with pigment on its way, so I can throw those in as sweeteners. I'm thinking between $900-$1000 might be fair, so I'm gonna think about it over-night and maybe place it on ebay. I do like this printer so hopefully the 3800 is just as reliable.

Dave

Tango_01

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »

I've been considering the 3800 for a while now. I do mainly fine art photo work and the larger format will be helpful. Funny thing is that I had been using my HP 8750 and the epson, while out of the box and out of warranty, is unused and is still in it's shrink wrapper. I will look online and see what they are selling for. I have the printer 2 pantone colorvantage inksets, 2 oem inksets and a kyson cis with pigment on its way, so I can throw those in as sweeteners. I'm thinking between $900-$1000 might be fair, so I'm gonna think about it over-night and maybe place it on ebay. I do like this printer so hopefully the 3800 is just as reliable.
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dave,

What Tbonano suggests is very good advice. I sold my 2 months old R1800 with the inkrepublic CIS attached and 50% ink left on the 100ml bottles for $600 on ebay (no OEM cartridges were included in the sale).

Do your math and you might even get a little more than 1K for all of what you described above.

The 3800 is one sweet printer, and the 80ml cartridges make a huge difference compared to the 14/15ml of the 1800/2400. My 1800 wasted so much ink in cleanings every time I changed a single cart.

Bests,

Pablo

dbmiller

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »

My very recent "event" with MediaStreet included receiving defective, filled,  carts, not meant to be part of the CIS, that were not recognized by the R2400, and the cyan cart that read it had ink in it, but was actually empty.

Even though "Missy" the email tech support person (no phone support whatsoever) insisted MediaStreet carts were not defective, I still had problems.    When, eventually, after trial after trial, the three (3) carts that would not read, did read, the nozzle check showed big problems, especially with the cyan cart.   The cyan cart light never ever went on.   Never.

So I ran the auto clean and nozzle check.  Twice.    And finally the plain nozzle check and the clean cycle separately.    

Reporting back by email to tech support I was told I had made the inks foam.   Wait overnight, she wrote.    Will, I took out the cyan cart and it was empty.  Please tell me what waiting overnight would do for this situation?  I put the Epson cyan cart back in and ran the nozzle check only.    Cyan was printing.  (And MediaStreet claims the carts are not defective).  I ran two manual cleaning cycles and the nozzle check was just fine.

So, I have seven MediaStreet carts and one Epson cyan cart in the R2400, and the MediaStreet yellow cart light is flashing.

Obviously, out comes the rest of the MediaStreet carts, and in goes the Epson carts.

MediaStreet's tech support hides behind email instead of using phones.  Now that is my observation.  And, I was told so by Holly, who takes orders.  Also, apparently Brad Baxter, hides by not using the phone.  I have emailed him, and he has not yet responded by email or phone.  I don't really know who Brad Baxter is.

They offered to send me more carts and 50% off what I paid for the first set of carts.  And I quote:  "David,
What I can do is offer you a new set of cartridge for 50% off what you paid for them so you can start again and follow the proper steps to using these cartridges. That would be $27.36.
Please let me know!
Missy"

I explained why I wanted a full refund.  Then Missy wrote they cannot give a refund.

I don't want to do business with them any more.  

I did hear, not read, they will refund the original cartridges price, but not the shipping.

Cheers

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 02:54:33 pm »

My very recent "event" with MediaStreet included receiving defective, filled,  carts, not meant to be part of the CIS, that were not recognized by the R2400, and the cyan cart that read it had ink in it, but was actually empty.

Even though "Missy" the email tech support person (no phone support whatsoever) insisted MediaStreet carts were not defective, I still had problems.    When, eventually, after trial after trial, the three (3) carts that would not read, did read, the nozzle check showed big problems, especially with the cyan cart.   The cyan cart light never ever went on.   Never.

So I ran the auto clean and nozzle check.  Twice.    And finally the plain nozzle check and the clean cycle separately.     

Reporting back by email to tech support I was told I had made the inks foam.   Wait overnight, she wrote.    Will, I took out the cyan cart and it was empty.  Please tell me what waiting overnight would do for this situation?  I put the Epson cyan cart back in and ran the nozzle check only.    Cyan was printing.  (And MediaStreet claims the carts are not defective).  I ran two manual cleaning cycles and the nozzle check was just fine.

So, I have seven MediaStreet carts and one Epson cyan cart in the R2400, and the MediaStreet yellow cart light is flashing.

Obviously, out comes the rest of the MediaStreet carts, and in goes the Epson carts.

MediaStreet's tech support hides behind email instead of using phones.  Now that is my observation.  And, I was told so by Holly, who takes orders.  Also, apparently Brad Baxter, hides by not using the phone.  I have emailed him, and he has not yet responded by email or phone.  I don't really know who Brad Baxter is.

They offered to send me more carts and 50% off what I paid for the first set of carts.  And I quote:  "David,
What I can do is offer you a new set of cartridge for 50% off what you paid for them so you can start again and follow the proper steps to using these cartridges. That would be $27.36.
Please let me know!
Missy"

I explained why I wanted a full refund.  Then Missy wrote they cannot give a refund.

I don't want to do business with them any more.   

I did hear, not read, they will refund the original cartridges price, but not the shipping.

Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122841\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've had similar experience with MediaStreet support. They are very unresponsive and seem to "miss" quite a few emails. They recommended me to go through the hoops of putting all my support questions through their archaic support forum, which seemed to have that issue fixed.

When they do respond, they've been quite helpful, though. Haven't gotten canned replies and they've actually read what my issues have been - and there have been quite a few. After over 100 test prints I think I have my system in working order.

I'm writing an extensive review of the MediaStreet Niagara IV CIS on my upcoming website, will announce it after summer vacations. My experience: not for the faint-of-heart, needs a LOT of patience, but can result in massive savings on ink without appreciable loss of quality. Longevity is another matter, but that's not something I'm worried about as I get my archival prints made professionally.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 10:53:31 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This statement directly contradicts my experience wtih CISs and third party inks.  

I have installed three CIS systems, all using MediaStreet inks in Epson printers.  I have an Epson 1160 and an Epson 880 still happily printing away after SEVEN YEARS of CIS printing.  The second 1160 died from black ink clogging in the head following several months of non-use.

As for longevity of the prints, I have several framed prints hanging on my walls since 1999 and they show no visible fading despite bright sunshine.  Other, non-framed prints thumb tacked to the walls show no fading either.

My savings must be well above two thousand dollars in ink.

mjros61

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 01:09:17 pm »

I have five years experience with MIS archival inks in my 1280 ans 2400 Epsons.
Not with a CIS (CFS at MIS) but if you read their description, you can order the system connected and primed. I have had minor issues with them and their email or phone response has been fine. They're in Michigan, so shipping is quick. try them at inksupply.com .
Pages: [1]   Go Up