Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CYMK profiles with printfix_pro or profile prism  (Read 2092 times)

Dave_007

CYMK profiles with printfix_pro or profile prism
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:22 am »

I have a Oki C5200 cymk color laser printer and both the software Profile Prism (PP) and the hardware PrintFix Pro (PFP). I am told by colorvision that PFP does not do cymk profiles. However when I contacted PP to inquire as to whether the software profiles cymk printers I was told: "If the printer prints from a windows driver (a driver designed to run in windows) then the driver converts RGB to CMYK". This seems to be at odds with what I was told by colorvision. If not then I should be able to make a profile of my c5200 with PFP and the drivers will make all the necessary conversions in whatever windows software I am using. Can anyone help me to clarify this issue before i waste a lot of time and expense profiling papers via an unworkable workflow.

Thanks

Dave

adiallo

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:52:09 am »

They are both right. When you send image data to a standard printer driver, the driver converts RGB to CMYK automatically and without user intervention. PrintFix Pro builds profiles based on this RGB to CMYK output. Both the driver and profiling software are expecting and are optimized for RGB input values. To build a CMYK profile, the first thing you need is an alternate driver (like a CMYK-compatible RIP) through which to print. If you really want to go through a CMYK printing workflow be ready to part with a lot of $ and a lot of time.

Laser printers by the way are notoriously fickle and inconsistent in their color behavior so you could easily end up chasing a moving target.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Dave_007

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:11:56 pm »

I generally use an epson r2400, but I am experimenting with the laser option for some types of work. I have noticed that profiles make even my brother mfc-845 all-in-one produce amazing results. I am seeing what's possible with the oki c5200. At any rate, are you saying if I use a rip like harlequin (or maybe a cheaper option like Q-image) I will be able to profile my printer with printfix pro???? If so how????

Dave
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:12:31 pm by Dave_007 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up