Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download DVD files  (Read 9330 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:32 am »

I will upload a new downloadable LLVJ-16 DVD file for purchase within the next few days.

I am looking at the workflow of doing that for both myself and users. Most folk who have asked for this option have asked for an ISO file - this is problematic for me authoring from a Mac. I can make .dmg files but my guess is that will likely cause headaches for PC users.

The solution on which I would like to get feedback, is to upload the VIDEO_TS diectory of the DVD that is the standard content of all DVD-Videos. I know that they can be opened and played from most software DVD players and that DVD-Video disks can easily be burned from them. (Since some players will expect them, I will also upload the accompanying standard AUDIO_TS directory despite the fact that it will be empty).

Comments?

CS
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:06:55 am by Chrissand »

francois

Download DVD files
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:09:32 am »

I will upload a new downloadable LLVJ-16 DVD file for purchase within the next few days.

I am looking at the workflow of doing that for both myself and users. Most folk who have asked for this option have asked for an ISO file - this is problematic for me authoring from a Mac. I can make .dmg files but my guess is that will likely cause headaches for PC users.

The solution on which I would like to get feedback, is to upload the VIDEO_TS diectory of the DVD that is the standard content of all DVD-Videos. I know that they can be opened and played from most software DVD players and that DVD-Video disks can easily be burned from them. (Since some players will expect them, I will also upload the accompanying standard AUDIO_TS directory despite the fact that it will be empty).

Comments?

CS
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris,
You may want to read [a href=\"http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830]this[/url] hint.
HTH

Edit: Macs can also burn ISO image files.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:34:36 am by francois »
Francois

Woodcorner

Download DVD files
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:03:05 pm »

To view your options to convert .dmg-files on a Mac open your terminal app and type 'man hdiutil'.
This will show you all the options for converting to .iso and other formats.

Cheers,

Andreas

shootergirl

Download DVD files
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:20:58 pm »

Comments?

CS
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,

I've researched this a bit since your post because I'm sure it's something that "they" will eventually throw at me. You're using DVD Studio Pro, right? At least I think I remember reading that somewhere.  

Anyways, you can save directly to a .img file out of it by going to "advanced burn - build & format." This will save a .img file. Then open disk utility, drag that image into the left pane (where the other drives are listed). Highlight it and go to the top and choose "images - convert." From there pick "dvd/cd master" in the format box. Change the extension to .cdr, convert it, then go and manually change the extension to .iso. I got this last part about disk utility from here:

[a href=\"http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=200501]http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=200501[/url]

I tried this out and it seems to work okay, but I can't attest to it working for PC users since we don't have one here to try it out on.

I hope this helps some. It seems like a fairly fast way to make the image. And if you can make the image, I can buy it and have my DVD.  

Shootergirl (Donna)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:12:17 pm »

Interesting suggestion Donna. Thank-you. So in DSP, I saved out DSP project to a disk image and re-named it in the Save dialog from .img to .iso *at the point of writing*. The resulting  .iso file mounts just fine under Mac OSX as the DVD. Waddya think, will it be OK on Windows?? My guess is a 50% chance - we will, have to see. I hope folks are patient!  

Interestingly, the zip process (required by our shopping cart) saves about 200MB off the original file size

Chris

shootergirl

Download DVD files
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Interesting suggestion Donna. Thank-you. So in DSP, I saved out DSP project to a disk image and re-named it in the Save dialog from .img to .iso *at the point of writing*. The resulting  .iso file mounts just fine under Mac OSX as the DVD. Waddya think, will it be OK on Windows?? My guess is a 50% chance - we will, have to see. I hope folks are patient! 

Wow, I never even thought of that! It sure makes it easier, doesn't it? If it does work for the Windows users, YAY! If it doesn't, then back to the drawing board. Or maybe try the disk utility thing I noted because it seems to convert it.

Interestingly, the zip process (required by our shopping cart) saves about 200MB off the original file size

That's a LOT saved.

Shootergirl (Donna)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »

Does anyone like the idea of simply putting up the zipped VIDEO_TS directory? - that sure seems to me to be the most bomb-proof method since that is inherently cross platform ... All this fiddling with disk image file types seems quite un-necessary

CS

Marlyn

Download DVD files
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:43:51 pm »

Does anyone like the idea of simply putting up the zipped VIDEO_TS directory? - that sure seems to me to be the most bomb-proof method since that is inherently cross platform ... All this fiddling with disk image file types seems quite un-necessary

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't see any dramas there Chris.   ALL DVD software that I'm aware of will accept and burn this structure to a DVD.  (Windows software, such as Nero etc)

Mark

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Download DVD files
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »

I would strongly suggest distributing as an .iso file.  It's well documented, and there are free utilities out there to burn directly to dvd - for windows:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

-john

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 09:40:08 pm »

If I _ever_ get 4.03 GB uploaded  to the server,  is there a windows user who would like to experiment with my .iso file for free?  

BTW, currently, I have another 45 hours (3.6 GB) to go before it's uploaded - I have a satellite ISP ......  so don't hold your breath, it will be a while

CS

DarkPenguin

Download DVD files
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 10:12:41 pm »

If I _ever_ get 4.03 GB uploaded  to the server,  is there a windows user who would like to experiment with my .iso file for free?   

BTW, currently, I have another 45 hours (3.6 GB) to go before it's uploaded - I have a satellite ISP ......  so don't hold your breath, it will be a while

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure.

Marlyn

Download DVD files
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 02:14:13 am »

If I _ever_ get 4.03 GB uploaded  to the server,  is there a windows user who would like to experiment with my .iso file for free?  ;)

BTW, currently, I have another 45 hours (3.6 GB) to go before it's uploaded - I have a satellite ISP ......  so don't hold your breath, it will be a while

CS

Sure, can do  -  have watched all of Issue 16 anyway already :)

Mark Farnan

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:59:39 am »

If I _ever_ get 4.03 GB uploaded  to the server,  is there a windows user who would like to experiment with my .iso file for free?   

CS
I'm game, too, if you need another guinea pig. I've already got all of 16 downloaded the current way, so I can do an A-B test. My rig is XP pro SP2.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:22 pm »

Many thanks for the volunteers - no more needed for now - I am still up-loading the file ...

CS

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download DVD files
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 07:36:41 pm »

I have not forgotten this - but am going back to my original idea of uploading the VIDEO_TS directory contents. I have created nine separate zip files. The first has the folder/directory layout and instructions. Each of the subsequent download zips has additional files to be placed in the the VIDEO_TS folder. I will let you know when all are up and then the same brave volunteers will be asked to experiment!

I am uploading 4.1 gig at about 30 meg an hour + the usual broken pipes from a balky satellite connection    - so it will be a while. . . . . . . .

Chris S

shootergirl

Download DVD files
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 07:50:14 am »

I have not forgotten this - but am going back to my original idea of uploading the VIDEO_TS directory contents. I have created nine separate zip files. The first has the folder/directory layout and instructions. Each of the subsequent download zips has additional files to be placed in the the VIDEO_TS folder. I will let you know when all are up and then the same brave volunteers will be asked to experiment!

I am uploading 4.1 gig at about 30 meg an hour + the usual broken pipes from a balky satellite connection    - so it will be a while. . . . . . . .

Chris S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,

I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for you. I can download it through work where I have an ultra fast connection and since I author DVDs myself, I'd be able to play with the files if this didn't work.However,  I think it will work. I'm on a Mac, tho, so you'd still need some Windows folks to try it out, too.

Shootergirl Donna

rpetruzzelli

Download DVD files
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 07:06:13 am »

CS

Chris,

I too would welcome the opportunity to try out a download for DVD.  I replied to another post about "poor quality" that I'd be happy to wait for a DVD version that I could watch on my TV.  Please keep me in mind.    

Thanks,
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up