Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 firmware: o00573  (Read 16290 times)

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Epson 3800 firmware: o00573
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 10:33:54 am »

Per, glad to see you made the switch now, you won’t regret it!

BR/Lars-Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lars-Erik, I don´t think so either....  I brought some B/W files and 2100 prints to Scandinavian Photo and got a thorough demo; the results convinced me finally, and I left with a HUGE box...

[comment: Lars-Erik and I have discussed the 3800 on a Swedish discussion group.  Nice to see you here....]
Per Ofverbeck
My

GregW

• http://
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 11:34:02 am »

Thanks for the information guys.  I have a box of Hahnemühle Photo Rag to print and didn't want any mistakes.

The upgrade went very smoothly and for any one interested I did it over the network using the LPF Remote Panel.  It wasn't necessary to hook up a USB cable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:34:31 am by GregW »

Peter Kelly

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 12:57:10 pm »

My first post on this board!

Help - I purchased a new Epson 3800 yesterday and the firmware is showing is 0146B-1.00.800E which I gather is old. I am on a Mac

When I attemp to download the new firmware I get a disc contain three files one is a .txt file and ther is also also a PDF document. The other file is a UPG file which cannot be opened but there does not seem to be a file I can open to install the firmware.

Can anyone provide any help - I have downloaded lots of firmware upgrades on  for other hardware but this one seems weird

thanks in advance

Per Ofverbeck

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 01:46:34 pm »

My first post on this board!

Help - I purchased a new Epson 3800 yesterday and the firmware is showing is 0146B-1.00.800E which I gather is old. I am on a Mac

When I attemp to download the new firmware I get a disc contain three files one is a .txt file and ther is also also a PDF document. The other file is a UPG file which cannot be opened but there does not seem to be a file I can open to install the firmware.

Can anyone provide any help - I have downloaded lots of firmware upgrades on  for other hardware but this one seems weird

thanks in advance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, having had the 3800 for only 4 days, I´m hardly an authorithy like, say, Eric.  Still, I did manage the upgrade first try, so it can´t be all that difficult...

So this is what I did:  First, install the LFP Remote Panel from the CD if you haven´t done so already.

Next, open that disc image containing the UPG file.  Turn on the 3800 (it seems it should be connected via USB, not Ethernet), launch LFP, and select Firmware Update.  Now you get a dialog where you can point it to the UPG file on the disc (image).  Click OK, or whatever (I can´t really redo it after already installing it, but it was something like that).  Then, just leave both the computer and the 3800 alone for a few minutes, until both say they´re finished.

And that´s about it....  The 3800 menus have an entry where it displays the firmware version on its little display (RTFM, it´s there alright...   ).  It tells you what you have; it should be o00573something if you did it right.

Honestly, if I could do it, so can you...!
Per Ofverbeck
My

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

Welcome, Peter! The .upg file is the firmware itself. Per got it right ... just follow his steps and you should be able to update fine. BTW, o0146B was the previous firmware revision, so it's not too old ...
Eric Chan

Peter Kelly

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 06:42:44 pm »

As a newbie I hoped I was entitled to one dumb question    RTFM has never been one of my strong suits.

Seriously I was in such a hurry to get printing I read as little as I could get away with. I have moved up from the 2400 and I am really enjoying the larger prints. I have ordered some 17 x25 stock as I was having trouble with the 17x22 aspect ratio with many of the images that I want to print larger.

Here is another dumb question - why does most media not match the aspect ration of 35mm SLR's?

Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the firmware update. It has been sucessfully installed!

Peter

Peter Kelly

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 06:46:02 pm »

Welcome, Peter! The .upg file is the firmware itself. Per got it right ... just follow his steps and you should be able to update fine. BTW, o0146B was the previous firmware revision, so it's not too old ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks again for the welcome and particularly for your very imformative blog on the 3800 - much better than the manual. I will be contacting you soon for some custom profiles.

Peter

Per Ofverbeck

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2007, 05:11:45 am »

As a newbie I hoped I was entitled to one dumb question    RTFM has never been one of my strong suits.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Gee, I hope you didn´t get the impression I was being sarcastic...  I was not, and I certainly don´t regard your question as a dumb one  

Here is another dumb question - why does most media not match the aspect ration of 35mm SLR's?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I´d put it the other way: why don´t most dSLR´s match the aspect ratio of media and monitors instead of that of an obsolete film type? (   ).
I am one of those who´s still angry with poor old Oscar Barnack for the impossibly oblong format he chose for his Ur-Leica in 1914...
Per Ofverbeck
My

Peter Kelly

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2007, 10:06:11 am »

Gee, I hope you didn´t get the impression I was being sarcastic...  I was not, and I certainly don´t regard your question as a dumb one   

I´d put it the other way: why don´t most dSLR´s match the aspect ratio of media and monitors instead of that of an obsolete film type? (   ).
I am one of those who´s still angry with poor old Oscar Barnack for the impossibly oblong format he chose for his Ur-Leica in 1914...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Per no offense taken at all. I was delighted to get  your advice which solved my problem

On the aspect ratio issue ...I agree Oscar could have been more considerate

Peter

mwerbe

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 03:54:59 pm »

Per no offense taken at all. I was delighted to get  your advice which solved my problem

On the aspect ratio issue ...I agree Oscar could have been more considerate

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been having a problem with the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 310GSM where there are bits of black ink on the edge of the paper after printing, I'm not using the remote panel to print though. Is this issue somehow related or does anyone have an idea how to fix it. Head cleaning and running a lot of paper through hasn't helped. Thanks.

Mark

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 05:47:10 pm »

Which edge? Bottom edge? Left edge? Are you printing close to the bottom edge of the sheet?

If I had to guess, sounds like a head strike. In the driver settings, in the Paper Config area, set the Platen Gap to Wide and try again.
Eric Chan

mwerbe

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

I've been having a problem with the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 310GSM where there are bits of black ink on the edge of the paper after printing, I'm not using the remote panel to print though. Is this issue somehow related or does anyone have an idea how to fix it. Head cleaning and running a lot of paper through hasn't helped. Thanks.

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the left and right side on the bottom of the paper. I'm not printing close to the edge, I'd just prefer not to have bits of black ink on the white border. I haven't tried changing the platen gap. I'll try that. Thanks.

mwerbe

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 07:45:01 pm »

It's the left and right side on the bottom of the paper. I'm not printing close to the edge, I'd just prefer not to have bits of black ink on the white border. I haven't tried changing the platen gap. I'll try that. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It actually was the top of the sheet going in. Setting it to wide helped, but there was still a little ink on the right edge. Setting it to widest removed the problem.  

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 12:14:05 pm »

In general, try to make sure that your sheets are flat (or about as flat as possible) when feeding. Curl is the enemy here, in particular if the edges of the sheet are curling upward towards the print head. The 3800 doesn't have a vaccuum system to keep the sheet flat as it goes through the printing process.
Eric Chan

Tango_01

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:01 pm »

In general, try to make sure that your sheets are flat (or about as flat as possible) when feeding. Curl is the enemy here, in particular if the edges of the sheet are curling upward towards the print head. The 3800 doesn't have a vaccuum system to keep the sheet flat as it goes through the printing process.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes sir. I have a box of 13x19 Prem Luster (100 sheets) that I accidentally dropped hitting on one corner. Those sheets - all of them - have about 10mm of a corner just slightly bent upwards, and if I don't bend them back down, the paper gets a hit on that little spot.

On the other hand all of my 17" wide Luster paper comes from a 44" roll that I cut in chunks. In this case since the paper has a very pronounced curl, and to avoid skewing when it starts to feed, I have to hold it flat against the feeder with both hands wide open. I use cotton gloves for this operation and let go as soon as the mechanism has firmly grabbed the paper.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up