Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 firmware: o00573  (Read 16288 times)

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 firmware: o00573
« on: May 29, 2007, 07:51:32 pm »

For existing Epson 3800 users: Epson has released firmware o00573. You can download from the Epson USA support site.

The two important notes about this firmware revision are:

1. There are (supposedly) no image quality changes. If you have existing custom profiles, you can continue to use those profiles with the new firmware.

2. The new firmware resolves an issue where the Print Watcher utility causes the 3800's print head to not cap itself properly when the print head is parked, leading to clogged nozzles. In other words, the Print Watcher problem that has been discussed previously in this forum is fixed in the new firmware.
Eric Chan

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:15:16 am »

No new firmware on the European sites yet.
Nikos

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:49:30 am »

For existing Epson 3800 users: Epson has released firmware o00573. You can download from the Epson USA support site.

1. There are (supposedly) no image quality changes. If you have existing custom profiles, you can continue to use those profiles with the new firmware.

2. The new firmware resolves an issue where the Print Watcher utility causes the 3800's print head to not cap itself properly when the print head is parked, leading to clogged nozzles. In other words, the Print Watcher problem that has been discussed previously in this forum is fixed in the new firmware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My 3800, which I've had now roughly for six weeks, came with firmware version o0146B installed. In any event, no information concerning a firmware update appears under the Mac OS section for the 3800. I do note a disparity between the printer drivers listed for Mac OS available on the U.S. site and the French site. Some common nomenclature would make things clearer for users.
Ralph

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:02 am »

My 3800, which I've had now roughly for six weeks, came with firmware version o0146B installed. In any event, no information concerning a firmware update appears under the Mac OS section for the 3800. I do note a disparity between the printer drivers listed for Mac OS available on the U.S. site and the French site. Some common nomenclature would make things clearer for users.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found it on the USA site last night for OS X. Bummer is, I'm on a network and apparently you have to do this from USB under OS X. I'll give it a try today and see (never upgraded my Firmware yet).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dgillilan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:48:38 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Eric, I have a PC and downloaded the firmware update last night and installed it at home. Worked fine, and printed afterwards. I did not know about the print head not capping itself properly, and this firmware hopefully fixing that. I really hope that turns out to be the case, thanks for the news,
Debra

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:45:27 am »

I found it on the USA site last night for OS X. Bummer is, I'm on a network and apparently you have to do this from USB under OS X. I'll give it a try today and see (never upgraded my Firmware yet).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120209\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It must be a question of refractory imbecility on my part, but all I see indicated is the initial release version firmware on the U.S. site for Mac OS.
Ralph

dgillilan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55:07 am »

It must be a question of refractory imbecility on my part, but all I see indicated is the initial release version firmware on the U.S. site for Mac OS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ralph,
You will not believe this; I checked and the Macintosh driver update that is numbered o00573 is only accessible from the WINDOWS choice. I am not kidding. I am so sorry, you will need to click "Windows" when you go to the drivers and support update page for the 3800 printer at Epson's site, and you have to click Windows, then you will see all the updates, including those for the Macintosh platform, as per below, which I copied and pasted for you.
Kind regards, Debra (fellow 3800 user for 6 weeks now) - see below from Epson:

Drivers & Downloads

Select an Operating System Windows Operating Systems Macintosh Operating Systems All Operating Systems

Show All | Collapse All

Windows Operating Systems

• Firmware Update version o00573_q.upg

Macintosh OS X (v10.3.9 or later), Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.4 or later)
epson12285.dmg - 739.7KB - posted on 05/24/07

[-] Firmware Update version o00573_q.upg
Macintosh OS X (v10.3.9 or later), Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.4 or later)
epson12285.dmg - 739.7KB - posted on 05/24/07

This file contains the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Firmware Update version o00573_q.upg.
Installation instructions:
Double-clicking this file creates a disk image on your desktop.
Open the disk image.
Carefully review the "PSB.2007.05.002 SP3800 FW HISTORY.pdf" document for additional information.
This firmware update improves performance with the Print Watcher utility.
 Download Now

• Firmware Update version o00573

Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows 2000
epson12284.exe - 703KB - posted on 05/24/07

[-] Firmware Update version o00573
Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows 2000
epson12284.exe - 703KB - posted on 05/24/07

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:07 pm »

Thanks for pointing this out. It is somewhat surprising to find the Mac OS update listed in the Windows section.
Ralph

Tango_01

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:15:05 pm »

Thanks Eric.

I just updated it on my Mac. Does this mean we can now use "Printer Watcher" ?  I had it always off just in case.

3 months - no clogs - one beautiful print after the other. And pretty frugal too (compared to my R1800) I bought a full set of spare cartridges with the printer and than another set of blacks and the light colors plus a yellow (15 cartridges in all) I still didn't have to change any of them. Well I have almost 2 years to use them. Now I have more ink than nice pictures

Needless to say; I love this printer.

Bests,

Pablo

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 07:45:18 pm »

Not sure why the Mac firmware is in the Windows section; my guess is that whoever posted it simply goofed.

Regarding the Print Watcher, I think it's safe to use, though I haven't tried it yet. As usual, my advice is that if you haven't been using Print Watcher so far and don't need it, no need to start turning it on. If it ain't broken ...  
Eric Chan

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 11:14:16 pm »

OK, stupid question:  What is Print Watcher?  I have a 3800 and I've never heard the term.  I did a search on the term in this forum, and couldn't find anything other than this thread.  Do you mean the Status Monitor (or whatever the thing that lists the ink levels etc. is called), or is there something else I'm unaware of?

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

dgillilan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:22 am »

OK, stupid question:  What is Print Watcher?  I have a 3800 and I've never heard the term.  I did a search on the term in this forum, and couldn't find anything other than this thread.  Do you mean the Status Monitor (or whatever the thing that lists the ink levels etc. is called), or is there something else I'm unaware of?

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
"Print Watcher" is a choice in the "Epson LFP Remote Panel", last choice down on the list.  It is in the same area as your "Firmware  Update" choice, if that rings a bell. One can choose to receive email notes of printer events, etc., I guess this is really helpful if you are in an office with a networked printer, and say, you send a print to it and the ink runs out, it will send you an email to advise you.  I have mine turned on and have had no issues to date. I did update my firmware also, last night and the night before(two machines). I also print the logs of each job to monitor ink usuage per job.
Debra

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:26:06 am »

I didn't know Printer Watcher was a source of trouble so I've been using it on and off as it gives a more accurate reading (if the percentages that it provides are accurate) of the various cartridges -ink and maintenance - that are monitored, rather than relying on the visual representation in the Printer Utility. My previous experience with the Printer Utility's graphics on other Epson printers led me to believe that they were less than reliable. In any event, I've had no trouble with Printer Watcher to date.
Ralph

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:22:23 pm »

Hi Lisa,

Print Watcher is part of the LFP Remote Panel software which is available from the Epson USA support site. It is separate from the Status Monitor.

You may not have seen this if you chose not to install LFP Remote Panel along with the drivers. It's not required for printing.

One of the cool things about the Print Watcher is that it can log each print you make, in terms of how much of each ink was used, how long the print took, etc. in case you're interested in these numbers.
Eric Chan

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 01:12:23 pm »

Thanks very much for the answers on what Print Watcher is.  I didn't install the LFP Remote Panel, as I didn't see much need for it in my simple home printing setting.  I can do without.  The fewer things clogging up my CPU and hard disk the better...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 05:14:55 pm »

..... I didn't install the LFP Remote Panel, as I didn't see much need for it in my simple home printing setting.  I can do without.  The fewer things clogging up my CPU and hard disk the better...

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, to return to topic...     You´ll need the LFP to install the new firmware.  And it seems the firmware does someting more than just mending the Print Watcher: the Energy Star symbol has begun to appear on the display after the upgrade.  Whether it is just cosmetics or a real improvement, I don´t know.
Per Ofverbeck
My

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 07:48:38 pm »

Hi Per,

Yes, the Energy Star logo is also mentioned in the firmware release notes.

Eric
Eric Chan

GregW

• http://
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 07:49:25 pm »

My 3800 reports 'o02468' as the current firmware.  The version available on the European support site is 'o02468'  but dated November 2006.

Has anyone with a Euro version 3800 upgraded the firmware successfully with the USA support download?

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 04:56:47 am »

My 3800 reports 'o02468' as the current firmware.  The version available on the European support site is 'o02468'  but dated November 2006.

Has anyone with a Euro version 3800 upgraded the firmware successfully with the USA support download?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, that´s what i did the other day (I´m in Stockholm, Sweden), and so far everything is running smoothly.  I recall from my 2100 days (until 4 days ago...   ) that Epson´s European site was very late in putting any updates up; I used to go to the Australian site.....
Per Ofverbeck
My

alfin

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 09:15:50 am »

o02468 is two versions behind. I have upgraded both firmware version o02269 and the latest o00573 from Epson’s USA site for my “European” 3800 model. No problems.

Per, glad to see you made the switch now, you won’t regret it!

BR/Lars-Erik
Lars Mollerstrom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up