Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus & Mamiya RZ Exposure Anomaly  (Read 2849 times)

Mark.King

• http://www.laurieblack.com
Aptus & Mamiya RZ Exposure Anomaly
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »

Greetings,
At the outset of my first post here, I would like to thank the contributors here for the excellent information and perspective you have provided us for a long time.  Late last year, we finally got a MF back; so now perhaps I can contribute a bit as well.

Our Aptus22 has an AFD mount and is on a Mamiya RZII with a Leaf adapter.  I have seen reports of certain problems with Aptus backs on RZ's, but do not recall anything quite like what we have encountered.

We have recently spent a lot of time testing our Aptus trying to determine why it often shoots about two stops underexposed (whether daylight, strobe, or a combination).  We finally stumbled on a consistent pattern of behavior.  

Every time we turn on the Aptus (untethered) or connect it to the laptop, and do not change any settings as initially loaded, it starts shooting two stops underexposed.  It continues to shoot two stops under until a setting has been changed at least once in the shoot setup menu (untethered, that means in the Camera settings; tethered, that means in the Shoot Setup menu in LC 8.4.6).  Once a  setting change has been made, the Aptus shoots all following exposures correctly, regardless of any further setting changes, until it is turned off or disconnected.

Initially, we thought the only setting change that triggered correct exposure was the Gray Balance setting.  That was because if we set a custom gray balance to a dark capture while the Aptus was not tethered, that would then trigger correct exposures for all following shots.  (But when tethered, setting a custom gray balance, and saving it, would not trigger correct exposures; only making a change in the Shoot Setup menu would trigger correct exposures.)  On a whim, I tried changing the Color setting (Portrait Even to Portrait Even 5) after starting the Aptus and found that also would trigger correct exposures.

Based on all this, I am guessing that our Aptus is not loading properly when it is turned on or connected.  Looking back, we think it has been this way since we first got it.  (It has been updated with LC 8.4.6 since we got it; and as recommended, prior Leaf/Aptus software/etc. were cleaned from computers before the Update.  We use LC 8 for tethering to our Titanium Powerbook G4; will go to LC 10 or 11 when we get a MacBook Pro.)

The good news is that this workaround works reliably for us and we get great files from the Aptus.  Of course, we would rather not have to use a workaround.

I emailed this issue to Steve Hendrix (our dealer) and Rick at Leaf America.  Steve responded that Rick had indicated that this was a known issue and being worked on by Leaf.  I am posting this here and on the Ask Leaf forum in hopes it will be useful for others.
Mark King
Laurie Black Photography [url=

RSPhoto

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:49:39 pm »

Are you using a Pro IID or a regular Pro II?

Greetings,
At the outset of my first post here, I would like to thank the contributors here for the excellent information and perspective you have provided us for a long time.  Late last year, we finally got a MF back; so now perhaps I can contribute a bit as well.

Our Aptus22 has an AFD mount and is on a Mamiya RZII with a Leaf adapter.  I have seen reports of certain problems with Aptus backs on RZ's, but do not recall anything quite like what we have encountered.

We have recently spent a lot of time testing our Aptus trying to determine why it often shoots about two stops underexposed (whether daylight, strobe, or a combination).  We finally stumbled on a consistent pattern of behavior. 

Every time we turn on the Aptus (untethered) or connect it to the laptop, and do not change any settings as initially loaded, it starts shooting two stops underexposed.  It continues to shoot two stops under until a setting has been changed at least once in the shoot setup menu (untethered, that means in the Camera settings; tethered, that means in the Shoot Setup menu in LC 8.4.6).  Once a  setting change has been made, the Aptus shoots all following exposures correctly, regardless of any further setting changes, until it is turned off or disconnected.

Initially, we thought the only setting change that triggered correct exposure was the Gray Balance setting.  That was because if we set a custom gray balance to a dark capture while the Aptus was not tethered, that would then trigger correct exposures for all following shots.  (But when tethered, setting a custom gray balance, and saving it, would not trigger correct exposures; only making a change in the Shoot Setup menu would trigger correct exposures.)  On a whim, I tried changing the Color setting (Portrait Even to Portrait Even 5) after starting the Aptus and found that also would trigger correct exposures.

Based on all this, I am guessing that our Aptus is not loading properly when it is turned on or connected.  Looking back, we think it has been this way since we first got it.  (It has been updated with LC 8.4.6 since we got it; and as recommended, prior Leaf/Aptus software/etc. were cleaned from computers before the Update.  We use LC 8 for tethering to our Titanium Powerbook G4; will go to LC 10 or 11 when we get a MacBook Pro.)

The good news is that this workaround works reliably for us and we get great files from the Aptus.  Of course, we would rather not have to use a workaround.

I emailed this issue to Steve Hendrix (our dealer) and Rick at Leaf America.  Steve responded that Rick had indicated that this was a known issue and being worked on by Leaf.  I am posting this here and on the Ask Leaf forum in hopes it will be useful for others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark.King

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:12 pm »

Are you using a Pro IID or a regular Pro II?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A regular Pro II.
Mark King

RSPhoto

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:03:33 pm »

Mark

I used a Pro IID with the Leaf Adapter and had the same exact problem. Sometimes the underexposure was up to 3 stops.
I have since bought the Mamiya Adapter ( works only with the IID ) which communicates with the back through the Mamiya AFD interface. This works flawlessly tethered but does not work at all untethered.

Both problems are apparently known issues and I'm as well waiting for a solution from Rick at Leaf.

A regular Pro II.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark.King

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:27:52 pm »

Mark

I used a Pro IID with the Leaf Adapter and had the same exact problem. Sometimes the underexposure was up to 3 stops.
I have since bought the Mamiya Adapter ( works only with the IID ) which communicates with the back through the Mamiya AFD interface. This works flawlessly tethered but does not work at all untethered.

Both problems are apparently known issues and I'm as well waiting for a solution from Rick at Leaf.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Roland,

I had seen your mention of the underexposure problem with the Pro II in your posts on the Mamiya Adapter, but  I did not know it was affected by changes in settings.  It sounds like you are thinking the problem is with the Adapter.  Better that than the back.  However, I think I will stick with the Leaf Adapter for now; at least with that we can shoot tethered or untethered, as long as we make a setting change after startup.
Mark King
Pages: [1]   Go Up