Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.0.04 firmware = whacked color  (Read 2235 times)

Charles Gast

5.0.04 firmware = whacked color
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:04:45 pm »

Way over saturated greens. Shadow color -especially green way to bright.  I profiled and printed on the same paper I had previously printed this file on.  I'll work on this a little more before going back to the previous firmware but right now it looks bad. The screen to print match was much better before.

EDIT;
Its whacked if you do what I did and miss the necessary change from the default printer color management to application color management under the drivers color tab like I did.  See my next post
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:30:24 pm by Charles Gast »

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:11:40 pm »

Charles,

I have exprienced no such degradation in color with the new firmware. As a matter of fact several papers show more accurate color than before. I have printed about 25 different prints on three papers (getting ready for a show) in the last three days and all are excellent.

What paper are you having difficulty with?

Did you remember to calibrate the paper to the new firmware before profiling?

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Charles Gast

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:05:15 pm »

Okaye...

ME. That is *I* did not notice that in color settings the goofus thing defaults to printer color management instead of application color management.  Typical dumb stuff but I missed it.    

I am however disappointed to see that the only way I can print a 12x18 across the end of  a 24 inch roll sheet is to lie to the print driver that it is in portrait mode but send it a file oriented in landscape mode.  If I send it a landscape file and tell it it is landscape it wigs out and makes the print lengthwise on the paper wasting more paper than needed.

I now know how bad it looks to let the printer manage the color and use sRGB as the printing profile
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:27:32 pm by Charles Gast »

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 06:31:24 pm »

Not sure what's happening to your profiles, but you did not answer as to whether you had indeed calibrated the paper. If you have, try the canned HP profile for the paper instead of your custom one and see if there is any difference.

As far as printing landscapeon a roll, I do it all the time. In the Features Tab of the 3100 driver, under Roll Options, check the Auto Rotate box. That should do the trick.

Good luck,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Charles Gast

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:13:05 pm »

[THe first thing I did after doing the upgrade was calibrate and profile. Thats the reason I bought this printer.  How can you print without custom profiles I have always said.  
I was one of the people howling about hp expecting us to pay an extra 8or900 bucks for the "advanced" profiling when everyone who buys a printer that does its own profiling is obviously interested in the most "advanced" color accuracy in the first place.  
Of course HP does read these forums and they responded.  They responded by making it possible for people *other than* current owners to buy the printer from distributors with the aps at or nearly at the same price I payed for mine without it.  Gee thanks HP. Marketing geniuses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up